Is it safe to live in hurghada right now?

Greetings,

I am considering on living in Hurghada with my husband despite revolution that is going on in Cairo. I wanted to know is it safe to reside in Hurghada right now? I ant to know first hand if Hurghada is experiencing massive protesting and riots like Cairo and Alexandria,

Thanks

Hello liberty278.

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

Aurélie

Hurghada is as safe and beautiful as ever:) even Cairo is rather safe:)

Thanks for the reply, I just wanted to know because the media sure makes Cairo looks like there is continuing chaos. Also we have decided to move to Hurghada, for it is less crowded and more of a relaxing environment. I was born and raised in the city and I wanted to live in a new environment that is relaxed and less of the usual hustle and bustle.

There are almost no demonstrations in Hurghada, only sometimes on the main road, but they are always peaceful. Also in Cairo most times there are no problems (except the traffic ones). If there is a demonstration, you will know where and just avoid this area.

Hurghada is very safe. The local egyptian population is mainly constituted by a small number of bedouins and people from Qina and Luxor. They are not very politically motivated like people in Cairo. Secondly, their main source of living is tourism, shop-keeping, so it is not really in their interest to create instability and chaos.

Thirdly, the gov has no interest in protests sparking in a tourist area. This is why there are several police checkpoint along the way Cairo-Hurghada, so that any dissident might be stopped from entering tourist areas.

Hurghada is very safe as usual.

I was there about a month ago and i can guarantee that, as while cairo was in a a great trouble during this period " as per the Media " which i actually didn't feel as long as you are away from el Thrir Square and the protesters, Hurghada was like being a city in another country.

GO Ahead and arrange for your trip, i am sure you'll enjoy to the Max.

Hi,
It is safe from this point of view but crime is much higher and the chance of finding employment is not good. If you are retired and don't need employment then all is good. Many businesses have folded and the tourism industry is in the pits. Good luck to you. We are thinking seriously of moving away because of the political uncertainty and the lack of income in tourism and retail.

When businesses and shops are not working, it is because they don't respond to the market needs.
There is always work, but people fail to understand that the situation worldwide has changed and there is a new tourism of people seeking work and other services. Not trips and camels.

And even in terms of tourism, Egypt is ignoring niche markets while insisting on attracting western tourists. Money have shifted hands. Follow the money trail.

Hurghada is perfectly safe and an excellent location for people who have an online business not necessarily servicing Egypt.

Asalamu Alaykom,

Good question and it looks like you got some good answers.

I had to laugh at your quote, "Cairo looks like there is continuing chaos".  Cairo ALWAYS is going to look like continuing chaos.  That probably won't ever go away ;)

Inshahallah the other problems will.

nightgarden wrote:

Hi,
It is safe from this point of view but crime is much higher and the chance of finding employment is not good. If you are retired and don't need employment then all is good. Many businesses have folded and the tourism industry is in the pits. Good luck to you. We are thinking seriously of moving away because of the political uncertainty and the lack of income in tourism and retail.

"Crime is much higher".

I totally disagree. Crime is much higher in Cairo, especially for what pertains personal safety.
I find Hurghada much safer than many cities in Europe. But the ratio of crooks versus tourists will be in a way higher than Cairo, as certain criminals particularly target tourists for scams involving real estate, business deals or other services.

Hurghada is surrounded by desert and sea, with several entry/exit checkpoints.
A burglar can't go too far really.

What I noticde is, most crimes involving foreigners in Egypt, are done by somebody who is close to them, not by common street criminals. It is up to you to pay attention whom you befriend and avoid risky situations.

When people are on holiday it seems they do certain things they would never do with so much ease  in their hm country. Then they complain their mobile or wallet  has been stolen.

After all, in Egypt there are more chances  to die from dangerous driving, rather than assaults or stabbing.