Petty theft, belonging insurance

Hey all,

I will be moving to Ecuador 2/20/13 and have been reading up on petty theft/how to prevent it, since it is one of the biggest problems down there. Does anyone have any advice/suggestions, or know of any travelers insurance companies that protect against theft of belongings?  Any information would be great. Thank you.

My suggestion, if valuable or important to you don't carry on the street. If you must have a watch, carry a cheap one. Carry a copy of your passport, not the original. Leave jewelry at home including earrings and engagement rings. Limit cash to amount you reasonably need. My wife, an Ecuadorian always carries $10 cash so she has something to give a robber to get him go away. If robbed, do not resist. In summary, assume you will be robbed and plan to minimize the loss. I am not sure Ecuador is any worse than most other countries.

FYI, I take my golf clubs out of the truck of our car if I know I will be parking on the street.

I will be looking for a job, so may have to carry my laptop on me for a bit of time...

Then carry in backpack.