New to Sao Paulo

Hi

First of all let me wish you a very happy and prosperous new year 2013 .

I am from New Delhi,India and is moving to Sao Paulo in a week.Can anyone help me to settle down here at Sao Paulo ? I want to know answers for few questions.

1) Is Indian Grocery store available here ?
2) How to obtain Sim Card and Net connection ? Best Providers and rentals ?
3) Living Cost at Sao Paulo for a single person .
4) I would be working at Mooca district .Best place to live in close to Mooca and should have good conveyance availability in accommodation.

Appreciate your early response .

Regards
Ayaz Uddin

Hello Ayaz,

Wish u too a very happy new year.
I am from Bangalore, India. Will be moving to Sao Paulo soon, just wanted to get a few info from you...
Do they have trend of shared accomodation? What would be the cost of shared accomodation per head?
How is the cost of living there - Fooding, conveyance etc..?

Hope we meet soon... Thanks in advance..
mail id : [email protected]

Hi dear I hope I can help you with that!
1)    Is Indian Grocery store available here?
No, at least I donŽt know.
1)    How to obtain Sim Card and Net connection? Best Providers and rentals ?
You can get it from any shopping mall. There are 4 providers TIM, VIVO, CLARO, OI, they all work well. 
3)   Living Cost at Sao Paulo for a single person.
ItŽs quite expensive to live in SP.
4)   I would be working at Mooca district .Best place to live in close to Mooca and should have good conveyance availability in accommodation.
You have to find out this one, take a look around and decide where to stay.

Hi my friend
There are no Indian people in Brazil rest alone indian groceries LOL!!!

If you are going to work min Mooca look for a place to live in Mooca it self .

Cheers

Ren

ayaz456,

There are lots of Indian people in Brazil, you can believe it. There are a number of Indian restaurants off Augusta Street in Consolação, they are all very good. If you can't find Indian foods at the Mercado Central, which I'm sure you can, then I would ask at any of the Indian restaurants where they buy their foods.

As far as living in Moóca, I wouldn't advise you to do that unless it is absolutely necessary.

Cheers,
William James Woodward - Brazil Animator, Expat-blog Team

Hi William ,

Do you think Consalcao is close to Mooca and would be good for me to reside as I can get Indian restaurants there or any other service .

Hope its easy for me to commute to Av do Estado 3555.

Suggest me any other location if you have any in mind .

Regards
Ayaz

Hello Ayaz
i am moving to campinas sao paulo in march.
I applied for the visa in new delhi embassy.
They say i can apply in VITEM-I as i have obtained postdoctoral fellowship from sao paulo.
They asking me PCC AND HEALTH CERTIFICATE.
What is the format of health certificate.
Is attestation necessary from ministry of external affairs. which are the documents i need to attest.
Please help me.

Thanks
Zeya

Hi Ayaz,

Yes the bairro Consolação is quite close to Mooca. You can get there quite quickly jump on the Metrô at Consolação Station No. 4 Linha Amarela (destination Luz) and get off at Republica Station, transfer onto the No. 3 Linha Vermelha (destination Corinthians-Itaquera) and get off at Pedro II Station, Brás Station or at Bressa-Mooca Station depending on exactly where in Mooca you want to go. Retruning to Consolação do exactly the oposite. See Google maps:

https://www.google.com.br/maps/place/Mo … 6?hl=pt-BR

I need help regarding working in sao Paulo I am from india

jasdeepdhiman wrote:

I need help regarding working in sao Paulo I am from india

In order to legally work in Brazil you must hold a VIPER Permanent Visa or a VITEM-V Work Visa. You cannot work or study in Brazil on a VITUR Tourist Visa.

While you can certainly look for a job while here on a VITUR Tourist Visa, and should you find a company willing to offer you a CLT work contract you may apply through the Ministério de Trabalho e Emprego - MTE for a VITEM-V Work Visa, you would still need to return to your homeland in order for the Consulado-Geral do Brasil in your country to put the visa into your passport.

Cheers,
James     Expat-blog Experts Team

I am already in a contract of thyssenkrupp brazil problem is coming regarding my visa

I'm sorry, but you are not being specific enough about your situation in order to advise you.

You already have a contract? What visa do you currently hold? Have you already applied for a VITEM-V Work Visa? What is the problem with regard to obtaining that visa? Do you have your work permit (Carteira de Trabalho e Previdência Social - CTPS)? Have you registered in the RNE with the Federal Police?

These questions should all be answered in order to give you correct information.

Cheers,
James     Expat-blog Experts Team

where is the best place in sao paulo to have an indian food and i need a rental single room apartment

There are a number of Indian restaurants in São Paulo, one on Augusta Street in the Consolação neighborhood and another in Paraíso, one in Vila Mariana and one Cursino.

http://vejasp.abril.com.br/guia/restaurantes-indianos

Cheers,
James

I'm curious what are the new elected councillors that represent the immigrants in Sao Paulo do ?

Does any of you guys permanent residents (non-naturalized)  of Sao Paulo state voted last year ? 

Are they doing something good for the communities of immigrants and will us from the other states of Brazil can hope to have such representation to ?

Hi Claudiu,

Actually, expats who have not naturalized as Brazilian citizens are specifically prohibited by Decreto/Lei 6.815 Estatuto de Estrangeiros from voting, joining political parties or even supporting any candidates at any level of government.

As far as I am aware there are absolutely no members of the São Paulo City Council that even have the slightest concern about expats, since they don't vote.

Cheers,
James

http://oestrangeiro.org/2014/03/31/um-d … tes-em-sp/

Hello James !

I found this news last year , it`s in even in the newspaper over there in SP .  I found it interesting because I don`t want the brazilian naturalization but I like to involve myself when it comes to civil rights of the immigrants .

Hi Claudiu,

I knew about the proposed Constitutional Amendment that would repeal the prohibition on voting in Decreto/Lei 6.815, but that is not very likely to happen. This country has resisted changing that particular law (written during the military dictatorship) at every turn. They certainly don't want foreigners voting or involved in politics in any way, because politicians here terrified that the Brazilian people will learn how politics works in the real world outside.

I didn't know that São Paulo had a municipal bylaw that allowed expats to vote, they never did before. I also wonder about its constitutionality since Decreto/Lei 6.815 is the superseding federal law. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see a legal challenge to the municipal vote ending up in the Supreme Court here.

Cheers,
James