Broadband in Saudi

Hello;

I have been here for few weeks now... but from my personal Exp. the best broad band is as follows:

Go: they have a strong sginal in the area they have coverage
Mobily: not that good when it comes to coverage within the city
STC: hate that company already :)
Zain: they have good internet but still not that many people. wait till it becomes famous.

here you waiting for your comments.

Sam

Have you tried all 4?

I'm using Mobily Wi-Max and at best it's average. It drops out daily. I never get the 2gbps possible speed and most of the time I get about 512kbps, which is rubbish (well compared to the 100gbps service i was on before moving to KSA).

Friend of mine has the STC 4gbps package and he is getting 4 most of the time. Might try that next, but interested to hear what experience others have.

Hi SamUSA,
Unfortunately I disagree @SamUSA.

4G has 2 famous forms: WiMax and 4G-LTE.
WiMax is commonly considered a less-than-expected technology and will soon disappear world-wide. The latter has been recently announced.

I subscribed to Mobily WiMax and said it GoodBye very soon. Have been a faithful customer of GO for some 1.5 years. Next month my subscription is expiring and I'll literally throw out their modem. They don't have the speed that I want; secondly since 3 months, the modem disconnects 20-30 times a day. Opened support tickets with them dozens of time but not a single person called me back.

I'd suggest to go for STC landline (broadband) as hamlay said. Haven;t seen even a single user dis-satisfied. And it seemd this is the best internet in KSA so far.

Or let us see what 4G-LTE brings for us.

You can never say that one service provider is better than the other here.

What works in your neighborhood flawlessly, may work horribly at mine.

I lived in one area and had great signal reception on my Mobily Wimax. When I moved, that changed from a full signal, to just 1 out of 5 possible bars.

So then I called up STC and switched to DSL. I ordered the 20mbps package. I get 8mbps, which I think is a problem from their end since when the tech came, we checked the throughput and we maxed that sucker out.

I have a buddy who lives not too far off from my place and he gets a steady 15mbps. But I have another who gets constant dropped connections on DSL. It's all about the area/infrastructure that you're in.

I think all Saudi companies are in thing we say "Fault Advertisement" and this is punishing by law in USA, but here who cares. they were fighting over who got the LTE and other services are rubbish.

I do really Miss home.

Just adding a comment about mobily wimax, I use it for two years and it's fine, a friend in the next street is not having the same speed, so it depends mainly on your location, and even the part of the room you put it in.

"Connect" is fater currently than Wimax, but I'm not sure which package is more convenient.

hi all.iam jagan from India.I am moving to Jazan soon.pls tell me what I should bring there for cooking and  rest?wat is the weather like?

english books. bring a bunch with you!

Hi,

anyone has info for satellite internet for private users(not companies).
I remember when I was here in 1999 I had a download only satellite connection. The upoad was done through a VPN telephone connection to Bahrein, which ended up in huge telephone bills.

Albert

I used mobily HSPA + connect 42 for about 2 months. The speeds were good, around 16mbps down and 2 mbps up. The only problem the "unlimited" plan wasn't really unlimited... You only get 1gb per day of downloads and then the speeds drop off to around 30kb down, which is useless. I do at least 2 hours of video chat per day with people back at home, stream online video from my grad school program and upload fairly large files for work. I would be of bandwidth before half the day was over.

I have recently subscribed to STC internet at home, and have a reliable connection. It is advertised as a 20mbps line, but I am only getting around 16.5mbps (I live in the DQ) - which is acceptable.

i had stc landline, started great then after 6 motnhs just went dead...tried to close the account and it took 2 years,service was horrible. called them so many times and they could not resolve it. then i went for mobily wimax and it was super quick with 6 months prepaid. life was good. then upgraded and was ok for 3 months. now the signal is bad. i checked with them and they said its the tower...i guess i have to try GO next.

Got a mobily connect package prepaid which supposedly gives 7.2mbps but getting about 1, might be my location but still I managed to watch Newcastle v AstonVilla through my Sky Go, without too much stuttering. Downloads are painfully slow but I just do it overnight so they are there in the morning.
I also do a lot of skyping and its ok for that. I suppose its what you want the internet for which determines your provider and package.
I would favour the land line but I do not have a bank account yet so cant set this up, soon though I hope

landline is out for me

Please do not purchase MOBILY BROAD BAND WIMAX......

@ganihse- Can you please lower caps lock when writing?

Thank you,
Aurélie

4G LTE. Is it available for customers in Riyadh (broadband & mobile sim) ?

RehabDoctor wrote:

Yes, it is. Though I didn't notice even a single satisfied subscriber yet. Check this out: https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=170008

TheLegendLeads wrote:
RehabDoctor wrote:

Yes, it is. Though I didn't notice even a single satisfied subscriber yet. Check this out: https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=170008

I was not satisfied with the INTERNET SERVICE, but was satisfied with the CUSTOMER SERVICE !!! :lol: For a change they did listen to my queries calmly and patiently and tried to resolve my issues at their level best.

So only buy this service for Customer Service, not for Internet service - Personal Suggestion !!!:)

Its a gamble when you talk about the Mobily 4G LTE.

The problem is that the speed and quality is highly dependent on your location. Even thou you would get the signals (as promised by Mobily coverage) but the strength(bars) of signals depends on your home location and particularly with your proximity to the tower.

And why I call it a gamble is because once you buy it you cannot return it if you're not satisfied with it's service. (i.e. no refund).

Does anyone know if there is a way that you can get a landline without an Iqama? Maybe prepaid?

The best if you ask me and proven is STC Broadboad xband jood package.
20MB is what they offered me and I get more than 20 MB.
costs 315 a month, landline is a must though for this.
Still depends on which area you're living in for me I live in a newly developed posh area in Riyadh so they have fiber optics installed

SamUSA wrote:

Hello;

I have been here for few weeks now... but from my personal Exp. the best broad band is as follows:

Go: they have a strong sginal in the area they have coverage
Mobily: not that good when it comes to coverage within the city
STC: hate that company already :)
Zain: they have good internet but still not that many people. wait till it becomes famous.

here you waiting for your comments.

Sam

got for STC Xband Jood. STC will first notify you whether they can give you the committed speed or not. i am using since 1.5 years and not a single problem.

SamUSA wrote:

Hello;

they have a strong sginal in the area they have coverage

Sam

I guess this applies for all the telecommunication companies! :)

pkmusd wrote:

Still depends on which area you're living in for me I live in a newly developed posh area in Riyadh so they have fiber optics installed

Congrats! We got the same package. At first we got 15Mbps then the speed drops to 8Mbps then to 4 Mbps..  We complain and complain and complain against the service! Up until now nothing happens!!!:mad:

seeker of truth wrote:
pkmusd wrote:

Congrats! We got the same package. At first we got 15Mbps then the speed drops to 8Mbps then to 4 Mbps..  We complain and complain and complain against the service! Up until now nothing happens!!!:mad:

In saudi service doesnt exist. For me luckily they put new fiber optics so m getting 25 MB even at times.
Zain is promoting 4G but m sure thr network is pathetic.

Hi

Do most compounds offer Wifi ?
Many thanks

Michael

Dears, I am one of a victim of Mobily having 6Mbps but always getting only 512Kbps, I make lot off research on Mobily LTE4G broadband at home and I reached a conclusion that, it's not useful for those who are gamer, HD video downloader, watching HD videos, or big file downloading because Mobily saying that it is UL (unlimited) but they are liar they have FUP (fair uses policy) you can get 1Mbps to 6Mbps but there is no difference except of fast browsing which sometimes worst….I think it's a backlog of Mobily because we are living in cloud computing, online file sharing 32/60” LED TV and 3D etc. it's a period of TB/GB not KB or MB.
Mobily claiming of 4th Generation, but serving 1st Generation…..what a cheat…