Apartment rentals in Puerto Plata

How does one go about renting an apartment in Puerto Plata , is there an agency one can go through? I would like to find one in the $200 - $300 a month range and it has to be at least a 2 bedroom.  Thanks

No real agency  here for rentals.  But it is fairly  easy to  get an apartment in your range. It will  be a modified expat / Dominican  apartment.

In my building there is a  3 bedroom, 1 bathroom,  living room, eating area,  kitchen.  Price is  9,500  RD. About US $ 256.

There are  lots of apartments  unfurnished. Furnished is a bit  harder to find but  can be done. 

Keep in mind  you need to  make sure of the following things:

1.  Security- bars / doors/ security  staff / policing in the area.
2.  Electricity - what  zone are you in? How often does the electricity  go out?
3. Internet / phone -  can you get good service at this location?
4. Water - is there a regular  water supply /  cisterna / tinaco?
5. Cable or  Satellite -  what is the service available at this location?
6. Noise -  how quiet is the area? You want to check that out  several times a day.  For example a location that is nice and  quiet  in day might be upwind from a noisy  club at night.

That is after  you look at the  building and the actual apartment.  Make sure to double  check all this. The owner will  tell you the electricity  doesn't go, that their is  water all the time etc. Confirm everything.

Thank you very much Planner , I read one post where you mentioned that you live on $1000.00 a month income. My question to you is how is the security in your building and neighborhood? How often do you have electricity? Is it close to the Malecon?

melvin5000 wrote:

Thank you very much Planner , I read one post where you mentioned that you live on $1000.00 a month income. My question to you is how is the security in your building and neighborhood? How often do you have electricity? Is it close to the Malecon?

There  really is no agency,   just  people looking to get a full months  rent off the landlord for  helping you.And of course you pay the bill.

I live on less then  that.  I live in a middle class area. It is very safe, about  a large block off one of the main streets. My electricity goes out  4 to 5 hours a day every day.  I have an inversor  and  4 batteries and life carries on  pretty  much normal.   I am  not close to the Malecon  but from my balcony I can  see all over the city right to the  ocean,  yet I  back  up onto the mountain. 

Security here is good,  we have an outside locked entrance,  and I have  a gate and front door on my unit. As well all  windows are barred  and I am on the second floor. 

I am female  with a Dominican  boyfriend for the  past  3 years but we do not live alone.I  feel very safe.Like any  city there are places I do not go alone at night! 

There is a  3 bedroom for rent in this building.  It is quite nice,  rent is less then   300 US a month but there is no furniture. And of course no appliance....LOL that is normal here.  a furnished apartment will cost you  more.   And furniture is not that expensive  really.

Anything else you want to know just ask  away  honey.

Planner , again thank you very much , you are a wealth of knowledge. My wife is originally from Montellano and we are contemplating moving to the Dominican Republic, pending my job offers an early retirement, they will announce it in March. Thank you very much.

melvin5000 wrote:

Planner , again thank you very much , you are a wealth of knowledge. My wife is originally from Montellano and we are contemplating moving to the Dominican Republic, pending my job offers an early retirement, they will announce it in March. Thank you very much.

You are very welcome. Good luck with the  early  retirement.

Hello planner,

I'm planning on spending a month in puerto plata with my son. My mother actually lives in residencial el doral in front of El Doral resort. I don't want to inconvenience her for a month although she wouldn't mind, but I know my step father would be bothered a bit since he enjoys his fortress of solitude. The area you describe sounds like the residential area behind coca- cola or torre alta. Do you know of any apartments that might be furnished willing to rent for a month or 2 in the $300-$400 range?

Santanatwins wrote:

Hello planner,

I'm planning on spending a month in puerto plata with my son. My mother actually lives in residencial el doral in front of El Doral resort. I don't want to inconvenience her for a month although she wouldn't mind, but I know my step father would be bothered a bit since he enjoys his fortress of solitude. The area you describe sounds like the residential area behind coca- cola or torre alta. Do you know of any apartments that might be furnished willing to rent for a month or 2 in the $300-$400 range?

Actually  I  was  not describing   Coca Cola or  Torre  Alta...........  what I was describing is  on the west end of  Puerto Plata and  definately not like either of those areas  but still a viable long term option.

For short term  you  can find something  in your range.  What dates are you looking at? And how old is your son?  We can put the word out and take a look.

I'm looking for June since I want to wait for him to finish the school year. He is 7 going on 12, which is why I need to spend some time with him to put him in his place. I really don't want to look in nagua where he currently lives. I guess you mean going towards costambar then. I have a friend that has a house over looking ocean world in cofrese but that's too far from anything which would require me to rent a car.

Santanatwins wrote:

I'm looking for June since I want to wait for him to finish the school year. He is 7 going on 12, which is why I need to spend some time with him to put him in his place. I really don't want to look in nagua where he currently lives. I guess you mean going towards costambar then. I have a friend that has a house over looking ocean world in cofrese but that's too far from anything which would require me to rent a car.

Thanks for the info, gives us lots of time. 

I literally live on the west side of  Puerto Plata, still in the city.  I agree both Costambar and  Cofresi are way too far......  I  was thinking  more in the areas  of Coca Cola,  Atlantica etc on the east end of the city.  No worries, I can give you  a hand.

Planner,

I am looking for an inexpensive apartment for my son and I to live in for approximately 3 months. He is 14 months old and I am 22 years old. Recently my mother passed away and I an trying to get away from the craziness here and try life out there. I also have a dominican boyfriend living in Puerto Plata...San Felipe. I could stay with him, however I dont want to step on anyones toes since it is a lengthy stay. What I would like is a 2 bedroom furnished for about 300- 350 month. Might be a tall order but I am sure there is something you can find or help me out with... you are pretty knowledgeable!!! If all goes well I am thinking May..maybe even April if something comes up... Please help!

Dominicanbound wrote:

Planner,

I am looking for an inexpensive apartment for my son and I to live in for approximately 3 months. He is 14 months old and I am 22 years old. Recently my mother passed away and I an trying to get away from the craziness here and try life out there. I also have a dominican boyfriend living in Puerto Plata...San Felipe. I could stay with him, however I dont want to step on anyones toes since it is a lengthy stay. What I would like is a 2 bedroom furnished for about 300- 350 month. Might be a tall order but I am sure there is something you can find or help me out with... you are pretty knowledgeable!!! If all goes well I am thinking May..maybe even April if something comes up... Please help!

Great decision  NOT to live with the boyfriend. You may not be comfortable with the way  he lives.    An apt for that  price range is doable.  Do you know what area of town you  want to live in?  If you are more comfortable  feel free to send me a private message and  we can discuss details.

I have read these Q&A's and believe that you can help me. I am an american male in need of a furnished/unfurnished apartment in Puerto Plata. A 3 bedroom between $200USD & $300USD per month for yearly lease in a tranquil area sounds great since I will be moving with my Dominican girlfriend and school aged son in a matter of weeks. I am having lots of trouble finding a location! Can you help?

Hello dmvnative,

Welcome to Expat.com.:)

I would advise you to open a new thread to start your discussion as you are asking for something specific.

Best of luck.

Cheers,

Varushen.

Finding a secure three bedroom apt in that price range will be very hard.  Your girlfreind probably will have more information for you then those of us here.

Bob K

Bob is  correct,  have the girlfriend start looking.  I  am no longer in Puerto Plata but I can  tell you your price range is going to make this tough!  If you can go to  US $400  then  you will have a fighting chance.

Hi there.  I am currently in the process of making the move to Puerto Plata.  I am a female travelling alone.  I have a number of friends in Puerto Plata, but ultimately living in my own apartment.  I am currently looking for a 1 bedroom apartment fully furnished.  I have learned that when an apartment is unfurnished it means I need to buy everything, fridge, stove, everything, which means for me a lot of money all upfront.  As I would like to see how I enjoy living there first I don't want to spend all this money upfront.  So I am looking for a furnished apartment in a secure location with electricity and water for June.  Any ideas or suggestions? ;)

Hi Planner,
I sent you a private message :) I'm looking to move to DR with my Dominican husband and our two kids. I need all the help I can possible get with housing, schooling, etc. Thanks to all who help :) God bless

Im a single male looking to find an apartment in DR. Im coming from Canada. Would like to find a 1-2 bedroom in the 4-5 hundred dollar a month range. I have read that it is possible to in DR on 1600.00 a month. Any1 have thoughts on this.

Hi, if you go between La Sirena (Store) and Big Lee's Beach Bar on the Malecon, one street back from the ocean are several nice smallish apt. bldgs, Rent is no more than 300-400 dollars. You need to walk to find them, two are pretty close to big Lee's, which is where a lot of Americans hang out. Michele

This post is over  year old but most of the info is still ture.  You best bet is to exlore the area (boots on the ground). Be carefi; amd check everything out.You should be able to find a place in a day or two.

Bob K

I'm;looking for a condo to rent in Sosua   for 2 weeks in feb or march ; i;ve been there before and use to rent at one ocean place but heard they have been sold approx how much would would a decent 1 bedroom place be for 2 adults and some places say they charge extra for electricity and so  is electricity expensive you can write me direct if u like [email protected]
also I use to hang out at mendys bar on sosua beach number 33 I think

are there any decent bars like piano bars  in puerto plata that do not attract putas where I can meet decent local women

A decent apt. at that time (high season) will run in excess of $600 a week.
There are no bars here to meet decent woman 99% will be "working"

BObK

Bob hit it dead on. There are no places you are going to meet "decent" women on the north coast during the high season.  THAT is NOT to say there are not decent women - but you won't get to meet or know them on a 2 week vacation!

im looking for something 1-2 bedroom to rent for at least 1 year.where is the best place for me to look inDR where i wouldnt need a car. in the 300.00 to 500.00 a month range..furnished.

mel

what about the punta cana area.

Punta Cana is a bit more expensive and you are likely to want a car there.

Puerto Plata maybe more affordable for you.

im looking for a 1 bedroom apt.secure building. what kind of dollars are we talking

i want to rent for a full year to experience all the season and look for a place to purchase. what do you recommend

Mel

It is really tough to recommend anything with out knowing  who you are or what you actually want!  Have you experienced any lengthy stays here?  Where have  you been?  What have you seen? Do you speak Spanish?  What do you like to do?  Do you need to work?   

There are another 100 or so questions I can be asking you!

im happy to just relax. beach bike,cook at home, not work,really enjoy my own company.

mel

the first year on the cheap..not a fussy person been working in the artic for past few years..worked on offshore fishing boats..more of an adventurist.

well i wrote some guy thats the new owner of garden condos in sosua hes got a 1 bedroom apt at $630  for 2 weeks plus hydro its one bedroom with 1.5 baths i guess its the old one ocean place ;plus dominicanos  apts in the same area go for almost the same price ; biut like where do up standing people go out for  a drink in peurto plata u cannot tell me they all sit at home ; i;ve had some contact with women online from puerto plata and sosua that tell me they work in decent jobs and love to go out with me when  I come ; thank you any how for the info

appinboy wrote:

well i wrote some guy thats the new owner of garden condos in sosua hes got a 1 bedroom apt at $630  for 2 weeks plus hydro its one bedroom with 1.5 baths i guess its the old one ocean place ;plus dominicanos  apts in the same area go for almost the same price ; biut like where do up standing people go out for  a drink in peurto plata u cannot tell me they all sit at home ; i;ve had some contact with women online from puerto plata and sosua that tell me they work in decent jobs and love to go out with me when  I come ; thank you any how for the info

There are places to go in Puerto plata, along the Malecon are casetas that are reasonably quiet.  All other places will be loud. If you want dancing got to Rancho Typico Puerto Plata, Terraza Caribe (my favorite) or  New York Ranch when something is going on.

I hate to tell you that "good girls" do not meet men on the internet!  Unless you were introduced to a nice girl by someone else then you chat by email  - forget about it.  These are not good girls as you say. They are all pay for play.

honey you paint  all the women on the internet with the same  brush but here you are on a sort chat info thing you are still on the net right ; mind like you said some are bad but my 1st meeting a dominican girl on the net thru yahoo chat back in 2004 I was able to get her to  secure my deposit on a rental in condo ; she was working in santiago  but went out of her way to inquire about my condo in sosua ; when I got there she met me at my condo and brought her friend with her and they showed me around the dominican to places normal tourist never see ; her girlfriendf by the way was in a import export business and I met her family ; her mom and dad were former teachers  a a university  and her brother was a doctor and part owner of a hospital in santiago ; that 1st girl finally left the dominican settled in new york state ; and the other i;m in constant contact with has now worked at several Dominican embassy in latin america ; presently working in Santiago Chile she holds a very high position there ; so as you see there are good girls on the net too ; one just has to be aware of the dangers but after u meet them in person u can decide which of the two  you are  dealing with ;  so to answer your reply not all on the net are what you say users scammers ; but thank you for the info on the nice restaurant bars ;

appinboy wrote:

honey you paint  all the women on the internet with the same  brush but here you are on a sort chat info thing you are still on the net right ; mind like you said some are bad but my 1st meeting a dominican girl on the net thru yahoo chat back in 2004 I was able to get her to  secure my deposit on a rental in condo ; she was working in santiago  but went out of her way to inquire about my condo in sosua ; when I got there she met me at my condo and brought her friend with her and they showed me around the dominican to places normal tourist never see ; her girlfriendf by the way was in a import export business and I met her family ; her mom and dad were former teachers  a a university  and her brother was a doctor and part owner of a hospital in santiago ; that 1st girl finally left the dominican settled in new york state ; and the other i;m in constant contact with has now worked at several Dominican embassy in latin america ; presently working in Santiago Chile she holds a very high position there ; so as you see there are good girls on the net too ; one just has to be aware of the dangers but after u meet them in person u can decide which of the two  you are  dealing with ;  so to answer your reply not all on the net are what you say users scammers ; but thank you for the info on the nice restaurant bars ;

I stand by my comments that MOST girls you meet online are not nice girls.  YOU GOT LUCKY -  not sure how you met or what the online venue was! 

Yes there are exceptions to every single rule. BUT I can and will state uncategoricaly women met via online "sites" and I mean dating and wh*ring sites, are not and will not be nice girls.  Simple.

And darling, this is not a sort of "chat"thing, this is an info site for expats where I use MY valuable time to try to help with current useful information.

plus just another thought ; the internet has opened up a whole new world to meeting and chatting with people from all over the world ;yes it also opens up to users but nowadays alot of people  use the net to set up dates on dating sites chat lines and whatever else ;and some do get married or establish a friendship and have a good time ; so there are nice people on the net contrary to what you say ;as far as the Dominican goes I;ve met both kinds there both from the net and in person ;also   alot of people paint sosua as a hookers haven but here too I've met alot of nice girls and people in general at numerous cafes along the beach and in town plus in cabarette ;i;ve last spent 6 weeks in sosua back in 2005 and had a very nice time ; I rented a car thru a friend ,she was on the net too at remax and traveled up and down the coast ; so do not try to Awaken me to INTERNET GIRLS ARE PAY FOR PLAY ; you cannot paint such a picture  in discriminatory on everyone ;

appinboy wrote:

plus just another thought ; the internet has opened up a whole new world to meeting and chatting with people from all over the world ;yes it also opens up to users but nowadays alot of people  use the net to set up dates on dating sites chat lines and whatever else ;and some do get married or establish a friendship and have a good time ; so there are nice people on the net contrary to what you say ;as far as the Dominican goes I;ve met both kinds there both from the net and in person ;also   alot of people paint sosua as a hookers haven but here too I've met alot of nice girls and people in general at numerous cafes along the beach and in town plus in cabarette ;i;ve last spent 6 weeks in sosua back in 2005 and had a very nice time ; I rented a car thru a friend ,she was on the net too at remax and traveled up and down the coast ; so do not try to Awaken me to INTERNET GIRLS ARE PAY FOR PLAY ; you cannot paint such a picture  in discriminatory on everyone ;

Amazing how much more you know then I DO  considering I've been here 9 years and LIVED on the north coast for 7 of those years.  OF course you have met nice girls in Sosua. It happens every day. To every guy who comes down here from where ever, to paradise to meet the girl of their dreams.  Have at it honey!!!!!

I am so DONE with this conversation. Go live your illusion! or Delusion as they say.

Hello.

To note that this thread is about Apartment rentals in Puerto Plata. If you want to discussion another subject, please start a new thread on the Dominicain Republic forum. ;)

Thank you,
Aurélie