How Do You Transfer Money to Cambodia?

Does anyone know what's the best/easiest way to transfer money to Cambodia? I wanted to use Paypal at first, but turns out you need a Visa to open an account in Cambodia. So I need to find other means of doing so now. Any advice?

the usual western union, moneygram i guess. or direct bank transfer if u have bank account here. but international TT takes 2 days at least.

What's the cheapest way to transfer money here?

depends on amount, i guess :D
teddylim, if u have a s'pore friend visiting, ask him to carry it cash. for large amounts, international bank transfer surely better than western union/moneygram.

Bankdraft or certified cheque or normal cheque.

open a/c with aba bank.log onto your western country's online ebanking  system, you'll be able make t/t trasfer arrived in a few minutes.

anthonyteo are you back yet ? :)

So what I would normally do for a larger sum is by TT via OCBC. Obviously you must first have an account with a local bank here. Otherwise I would simply use my OCBC ATM card to withdraw up to usd 1,000 from one of SBC's ATM kiosk here. The charges are usd 4 to SBC and sgd 5 to OCBC plus bloated exchange conversion rates. These are the typical safe methods. The less safe method is to carry the usd from the airport. Devoid of the additional charges, this should be the cheapest way to transfer money from sg. I find traveler's cheque cumbersome and have not use this method for a long time.

You can open an Acleda bank account online, fill out the online form and email a notarized copy of your passport as well.

However any large sums of cash would incur a loss of cash (exchange rate) unless it is $ of course.

You may need to pay it through a reputable money transfer company.

Thank you everyone for all your suggestions. :)

If you have a Cambodian bank,they can accept SWIFT transactions from banks anywhere. Ask the Cambodian bank for their SWIFT id#, relay that number to your stateside account. Most transfers can be done overnight. charges are $45 for the transferring bank, and $10 to receive and process here. I've done it a number of times.

Caxton FX dollar cards are good if you are from the UK. Im in the uS and have a wife in PP. I use Western Union but their rates are getting ridiculous. Looking for a cheaper alternative but have not figured it out yet. Wish my wife could use an ATM that I could load up with a specified amount every month.

Which bank in Cambodia did you transfer to? :)

Western Union

Piggyphi wrote:

Which bank in Cambodia did you transfer to? :)

you need multiple entry visa 12 months and a letter from police  ""head of tourist"" in which ever city you are living to open an account and then you can transfer money into your new account, either from a bank or from a trading account  futures /stock market for less than banks 3% exchange rate plus fees.usually 1 to 1.5%and no fee if over 5000usd.hope this helps.

or western union as stated for one off transactions.

Dear buildagreg:

thank you very much for your response.

Actually, i am Cambodian and I can ask my sis to open a/c in any bank yet I would like to know which bank will charge the least for receiving my transfer.

Thank you very much.

Piggyphi wrote:

Dear buildagreg:acleeda bank

thank you very much for your response.

Actually, i am Cambodian and I can ask my sis to open a/c in any bank yet I would like to know which bank will charge the least for receiving my transfer.

Thank you very much.

Acleda bank has a minimum charge of $9 for incoming international bank transfers as I remember.

I have a Canadia bank account here in Phnom Penh and I lose between 5-7% of the incoming amount of an international bank transfer from a non USD currency.

Hi, I want to transfer money to my friend in cambodia.

solid01 wrote:

Hi, I want to transfer money to my friend in cambodia.

Hi.
You can.
Western union
Money Gram
or a bank transfer if she has a bank account.

can I transfer money to someone back in the US if I keep my American bank account?

Hi Piggiphi. I'm ex pat UK. With a Cambodian wife, & we live In Siem Reap, been here now just short of 3 years. We have an account with Acleda. I haven't found a cheap way of transferring money here yet and I have looked. SWIFT transfer is the best in my humble opinion. However as I am a British national My money is in pounds sterling. My bank therefore take their commission to transfer it to US dollars then £10 to do the SWIFT transfer, (3--5 working days why?? I have no Idea) it can be done online, then Acleda bank take their acceptance commission before I can access it, I just use my UK bank TSB ATM visa card. If anyone out there knows a better way prey tell. ***. Bon chance tout lamond.  T.

Moderated by Priscilla 6 years ago
Reason : do not post your personal contact details on the forum