Am I too old for teaching English in Colombia?

Will it be difficult for someone (American) in their 40s to find an English teaching job in Colombia? I was told that employers frown upon hiring people over 30 yrs old. I'm considering moving and don't want to be considered too old to be employed. Thanks for any advice or experiences.

I'm not too sure about the age thing, but I'm pretty sure institutes would love to hire a native speaker, whatever age. There are always adverts everywhere! But as an alternative, I am teaching privately in Bogotá and there seems to be a high demand for native speakers. So that's always an option!

Being in your 40s likely won't be a problem. I have found that it seems acceptable to be up to 50, but much older than that and you would likely be rejected.

I have been living in Manizales for about 3 months now, I have no professional teaching experience and I am approaching my mid 30's.  I interviewed at 1 private school 3 days ago and will interview at another this week.  There is a very high demand for native speakers and the 2 schools seemed happy to see that I am "older" (they did not ask my age) as they had some poor experiences with younger teachers in their early to mid 20's.   
Giving private lessons would be another good option as it might be easier... tax wise and you can work around your own schedule; as apose to the 7am to 5 pm school schedule that most teachers have.

Well it has been a week and I have found all the schools want me to work there and I have received a few very good offers.  Considering I have no professional teaching experience, this is great for me.  I now teach part time at 2 different schools. 

There are lots of Colombians that can teach English here, but very few native speakers that are teaching.  So even with little to no experience, you still have the advantage over a professional Colombian teacher.

Age is in the head. I know a girl who nearing sixty goes to festivals, looks great, travels the world, has boundless energy, acts, dances, teaches and in short seems at least twenty years younger than she is..

With a positive attitude plus energy I think you can work practically anywhere.

Did they ask for TEFL qualification?

rob_d,

Having a TEFL is always a bonus and will help you earn some more money, but it seems only necessary to have your TEFL when going for a job in a private college or university that are highly rated.  These schools usually wont interview you unless you have a teaching degree or several years experience teaching abroad. 

So having your TEFL will put you at an advantage but isn't required by most schools.  At least from what I see her in Manizales.

- Michael

well I sure hope age isn't a big factor as I am planning to teach and am older than most others doing this. However, I had an easy time being hired in both Nicaragua and Panama last year- I am an American credentialled teacher with many years of experience and that,I think, is more salient than age or a quick certificate.Buena suerte!

Hi all,

Age has nothing to do with it.
Just go for it.
I will probably semi retire to Colombia next year as there is nothing much here in London for me now work wise!
But I will get a TEFL Qualification before I head out.
I am a professional engineer with a BSc degree and have some contacts with the Society of Colombian engineers in Bogota so there may be a chance of some work.

I could always busk on the streets with my saxophone perhaps lols.

Keep up the banter.

Luv on Ya!

WedgieT

I got an ESL teaching job at age 51; age never seemed to be an issue. They want native speakers.

I just arrived and am interested in teaching privately  What is the going hourly rate in Bogota for someone who has a certificate to teach ESL (Celta, Toefl, etc.)?

the rate  specially for native english speaker is high in bogota, I also have contact with a school that is looking for native english speaker to teach adults.
if you need I can put you in contact with them.

take care

dieselgirl wrote:

the rate  specially for native english speaker is high in bogota, I also have contact with a school that is looking for native english speaker to teach adults.
if you need I can put you in contact with them.

take care

Hey DieselGirl I made a profile since I am also interested in this if you have any info on the school/program in Bogota.

@steveg333 Hey Steve, I am a Canuck who has been living here in Colombia for the last 17 years. I am about to turn 80 years old, WHAT???? Yes, 80, I have been teaching English all over Colombia and in my experience you are much better off teaching privately. There are many reasons for that, a few would be as follows:

1: You can set your own hours

2: You will not be teaching groups of 30 - 40 students.

3: You can set your own curriculum.

4: And possibly the best one is that you can earn much more privately than any school will pay you.

If you have your own material it is much easier. Also if you are contemplating Bogota, I would recommend that you attend Nico Pan on Saturdays from 2 pm until closing to get a handle on what is what. Nico Pan on the 2nd floor has a free language group that meets and exchanges conversational English. You will meet Colombians and many foreigners and very possibly get some leads for students. The address is the corner of Calle 74 and 15. Welcome and wishing you the best.

Thanks for the good information, reycolombia63, but steveg333's post was from 2011 and he may not respond!

@OsageArcher, yes, I realized that after I replied to the post. The post showed up in my inbasket as a new post and I treated it as such without looking at the date. Thanks and have an awesome day.