Back Surgery in Kyoto? URGENT ADVISE

My 22 year old daughter lives/works in Kyoto.  She just went for an MRI for acute back pain and the doctor wants to schedule surgery.

I'm not concerned with the decision (tell me if you think I'm wrong), since it's usually pretty clear if surgery is needed versus rehab.

But I do have some general questions:

. Anyone have experience or opinion about the quality of
  surgery in Japan/Kyoto?

. Would anyone think it makes sense to fly her home for the
  procedure?

When I get the name of the doctor, I'll post it.  Maybe someone has a resource to check on his reputation.  It's a common/simple procedure but does require a lot of skill.

THANKS SO MUCH!  It's tough being a far-away dad!

Hello,

I just saw the blog about your daughter. I would not jump into surgery too quickly. How bad is her pain? How long has she had it, and has she tried everything else first? I have had bulging discs in L4-L5 since I was 25. I am 47 now. I know what it feels like to have sciatic pain. But I have managed my life without surgery, and I still practice martial arts.

I lived in Japan for 3 years. I would absolutely get a couple more opinions. If possible, send the MRIs to a neurologist with a good reputation in the USA for another opinion. Maybe set up a phone appointment with a doctor in the USA, even if you have to pay straight out for it.

I'm not agains surgery, but I would not jump in to it too quickly, especially if your daughter is only 22. Is she athletic? How is her overall physical health? If anything, before surgery, you might consider cortisone injections. They are usually very safe and harmless. Also, have her change her lifestyle if necessary. I was a very avid tennis player, but I gave it up. Over the years my back issue got better, and I have been back into the martial arts for over 6 years. I am just very careful and I know my limitations.

Also, what medications has she tried. Definitely make sure she is on anti-inflamatories right away. Ask the doctor about a 1 week dose of steroids to knock out the pain if this is just a bad spell. Don't be concerned about the word steroid. The ones used to knock out inflammation are not the same that body builders use.

Back issues are serious, and one should not jump to surgery too quickly without trying everything else and getting several doctors opinions. Believe me, I know what the pain is like. It's gotten so bad that I have considered surgery many times. I'm not agains it. Back surgery has greatly improved over the years. But it really should be a last resort.

Japan is a little different when it comes to recommending medications. It's a big part of the doctor's revenue. I would assume it's the same for the surgeries they perform. I would try to get opinions from a couple American doctors first. Surgery is not a bad idea if necessary, but I just would not take that last resort step unless the pain is unbearable, and until you have some very trustworthy opinions from other doctors.

Best regards,

Rob Fillpot

Thanks so much for your thoughtful reply!

I've had experience similar to yours, so I understand the prudence around surgery.

It seems like the doctor's read on the MRI is that surgery is required -- he wanted her to have a preliminary consultation next week.

I have a few of the images and have a very prominent medical scientist friend who will look at them.

I think the main question will end up being:  If it's clear she needs surgery, is she better off in the US.  The doctor she's seen is at the University of Kyoto, and I know they have a good reputation.

However, my friend's gut was that she'd likely get much better care in the US -- we live in Seattle and have access to great resources here.

Again, thanks so much.  Let me know if you or anyone has a gut feel about whether you'd feel comfortable having you/your child get surgery in Japan.  Of course, I appreciate it's a big generalization...

thanks,
victor melfi

See this is an old post, but would like to just reassure anyone in Japan that they have great medical services. While unfortunately there is a problem where they sometimes do not tell people the truth in tragic circumstances (ie. If you are going to die in a week, they probably won't tell you).

I'm an American and frequent the doctors often to get check ups done. If I needed major surgery I would most likely get it done in Japan. All the doctors visits I made in Japan were fine (as long as you can speak Japanese). Most people are polite, facilities clean, and most importantly they take care of you much better than in most places in my experience.

If god forbid I ever collapse on the streets here in Hong Kong, I only hope I can utter the words "Get me out of here. Take me to Japan". Although can't ask for much here. I'd be lucky if someone nudged me to the side of the sidewalk/street with their feet :P (just want to clarify that I'm joking, but the difference in care really is better in Japan in my opinion).