Caribbean bound- California girl looking for advice

Hello All!  Thanks for taking the time to read what I have written and I hope to gain knoweledge for my impending decision from your insights!
Here's a short backstory and idea of what I'm asking.
I'm a small town, Central California(Wine country, on the coast, smack in the middle between San Francisco and L.A.) girl that has decided it's now or never for the adventure of a lifetime!  I have some experience working in retail and restaurants but mainly, medical offices as a lead medical assiatant. 
Here's how I got to this site...  I loved Hawaii but the local dislike of tourists was a major turn-off and Mexico is great for vacation but not necessarily what I'm looking for in a relocation site so I've moved on to the Caribbean for all of the obvious reasons.  I would love to spend some time living and working in the Caribbean and am looking for advice on where or where not and why I should choose one place over another.  I spent some time on Grand Cayman recently and loved all of the people there but worry that "vacation mode" clouded my judgement.  English speaking locations are greatly appreciated though I'm 1000% in on some immersion level, new language learning.  Even so, I find I daydream constantly and crave blue skies, clear waters and the warm humid air.  Since I've not been able to visit all of the Caribbean any reccomendations on the best place for this California girl would be greatly appreciated!  Can't wait to hear from everyone out there!!

hello JJ1212.

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

Hope you'll be advised by other members soon.

Thank you,
Aurélie

JJ. Right below your post there is a link to a local jobs-agency. Depending on what your skills are, you might want to look at their website. I don't know about the rest of the Caribbean, but for Cayman you're not legally allowed to come here "on spec" and look for a job. Instead, you're supposed to find a job before you come. If you do come on spec for a look-around, and are successful, you may have to leave the Island while your Work Permit is being considered. We have an indentured-service system here, whereby employERS get Permits for their employEES, and employees can switch jobs only with permission of their employers and the Work Permit authorities.

I'm also a California girl who's looking to relocate to Grand Cayman. I'm already employed as a home based software trainer/implementer. With that said, what or should I say, whom do I need to contact to check on how to apply for residency? Is residency an option or would I be considered an already employed ex-pat who wants to live on island? Any help would be greatly (immensely I should say!) appreciated.

Hmmm... difficult, Diva. If you are only ever going to be the only employee your company employs in Cayman, your best bet might be to simply come as a tourist, stay under the radar, and go off the Island for a few days every three months or so. Would that work for you?

The Immigration system here is just not flexible enough to accommodate people in your situation, unless you have a whole lot of money in the bank and can prove that you would never become a financial burden to the government.

Why Cayman, by the way?

Actually, I'm not the only employee in the Caribbean, but I would be the only "local" trainer available to island jump as needed. I could definitely come as a tourist, stay for 3 months, pop over to FL or back home to visit in CA (and work while I'm at it lol) to keep my status ok.

As to having a whole lot of money, no not really BUT because I'm employed already, it'd be easy for me to come back if I had to.

As to the why of Cayman? I went there for work in 2009 for a couple of days, got a 6 month work permit (back when they allowed it just to come and train) and fell in love with the people and the island. It's definitely the home of my heart. I've been back numerous times and every time I go away from there, it takes a piece of me (cue the Paul Young song), or keeps a piece of me rather. I've made many friends on island with my travels and while I've been to our western islands (Hawaii...), it's just NOT the same.

Are you in Cayman Gordon?

To JJ1212; what part of CA are you in?

~Renee

Gordon...I'm going to study up on your blog :) You will probably be able to answer most, if not all, of my questions and in advance, I thank you!!

~Renee

Renee. I've been retired for years and years, and I don't follow all the changes in the Immigration rules. If you've had a Work Permit as recently as 2009 you would almost certainly be more knowledgeable than I am. So I'm not sure I have anything to offer. Still, tell me what you want to know and I'll do my best to help.

congrats on your retirement!!

I was looking for lodging suggestions. Obviously sharing would be a great option and away from 7MB for pricing reasons...I've tried looking through the posts here and can't seem to find anything; is there another resource I could reference?
Also, driving. I wouldn't be bringing my car over (for which my son is thankful) so would need to acquire a car there. I've held a travel license (whilst over on vacation) so I'm sure that I'd have to get some form of DL for the islands. I've seen some posts on that throughout the blog but haven't gone into too much detail as of yet.
What kind of challenges did you go through when you first came over? Why did you choose Cayman? You're in Georgetown, correct?

Renee. Here's a link to the best all-round guidebook to living in Cayman. It will answer most of your questions.
http://www.caymannewresident.com/
and this one http://freecayads.com/ has some classified ads
and this http://www.ecayonline.com/ for more classifieds

All my first experiences in Cayman were 35 years ago, and not very relevant now! It's 20 years since my wife and I have had to bother about Work Permits. If this is your first serious job overseas, then I have to tell you that ours were all of 49 years ago and in a different country - so they're not relevant either! This will be an exciting adventure for you, and I wish you well.

Thank you very much!! I appreciate it :)