South African, kind of newish to Christchurch

Hi all! I am a 21 y/o female from South Africa. I came to new Zealand with my family a little over a year ago but still haven't quite made friends yet. Although my classmates are wonderful I find it quite hard to break into a social circle here. I did make a few nice friends but they soon moved to other countries/cities. I guess I'm starting to feel a little isolated. Is there any way for me to meet new people who are open to having a new friend? :P

Your experience is not uncommon, the kiwi's are not really open to outsiders.  A number of SA expats seem to gravitate to a local church to meet other SA expats.  The biggest issue we find is that we come from a large continent and that seems to threaten islanders. It's just the way it is.  We have been here in Whakatane for 8 years (formally in Auckland for 2 years), and have only made a couple of Kiwi friends, we have however made many acquaintances.

Hi Cinnie

Wow that is rather disheartening to hear. It really isn't my intention to take over the place, I really want to integrate myself in my new home, but at this rate I'm worried it never will feel like home.

I fully agree with your views, we had the same objective however, South Africans are quite different coming from a vast continent who are worldly and understanding of issues and conflict.  Kiwis conversations center more around rugby, the weather, complaining about the police and politicians, and drinking anything of any substance. for rugby or cricket, or like talking about drinking, they are so insulated in their little world that they lack the depth that comes with experiencing the suffering of others, from travel, from going through hard times, and from changing one's life? 

I think that is why we find it difficult in integrate, but hell its a great place,so beautiful and safe. Yes its our home even though its not Cape Town.

Hi Tammy iam a South African and my family and i are considering moving to Christchurch Canterbury. are you still that side?

Hi Debbie! I am still in Christchurch though I wouldn't recommend moving here. The earthquakes are quite unsettling and there isn't much of a city to speak of. Unfortunately it seems that the Canterbury basin is up for grabs from oil and gas companies. Maybe consider Wellington :)

i am a great person to start with :-P

Hey there Tammy, I think we met a long time ago? - I have hosted 7 girls nites out (incl last nite, 14 of us, coffee & dessert in Riccarton) - huge success.
So many people wanting to meet new people and get out and about.

hi tammy, i am also new here, actually just came from ghana weeks ego to join my husband who is a nz citizen,not fun being all alone without anyone to talk to, particularly when he goes to work, am also looking to make new friends and socialize ... we could catch up and go for a drink ?