Insurance question: Dental

Hello,

I am coming to Zurich from America to work as a Language Assistant at a Gymnasium. I was told by the secretary of the school where I will be working that I will likely be eligible to opt out of buying Swiss insurance (if I decide that this is the thing to do) if I can prove that I am covered through another provider, seeing as how I am here for only a year and for training purposes.

I looked at on of the forms I may have to fill out and saw that dental insurance was mentioned. Here is my question: is it necessary to have dental insurance to work in Switzerland? I am enrolling in HTH Worldwide Expat insurance, which, however I am thinking that they may expect me to also have dental insurance in order to count me as insured and to forgo buying swiss insurance.

I have also heard that it is necessary to show proof of insurance in order to register with the police once I get to Zurich and in order to gain my entry permit as a trainee. Anybody know anything about this?

Hello zieglerlr!

I hope that other members will soon give some tips to you.

Harmonie.:)

Hello Zieglerlr,

Dental insurance is not mandatory in Switzerland. In fact, it is so expensive (for adults) that most people choose not to take dental insurance.

When arriving in Switzerland and registering for your entry permit, you usually have to show proof of health insurance, as this is mandatory for anyone living in Switzerland. As a Swiss health insurance cannot be taken without showing an entry permit, you have three months time *after* your arrival to show this proof of insurance.

Hope this helps,
Twan.