Travel and Heights in Cuenca

I'm a little concerned about everyday travel to areas around Cuenca. I did travel to Snowmass, Colorado once and traveling through the mountains did make me very sick. Taking a bus through the montains, Forget About It! lol Please provide me with as much information as possible.

Hello dreaminnDallas!

I hope that other members will help you soon.

Harmonie.:)

There are only two ways into Cuenca, roads which cross high mts. about 12k, or fly in from Guy. or Quito. The flight scedules are not very good for connecting with other flights. Welcome to Ecuador.

tom

If you have a problem with heights then why consider a city in the Andes? There are many beautiful areas along the coast in Ecuador that are not elevated. Maybe you would be more comfortable there.

I may be overthinking this.  It's just that I've seen several posts relative to that issue.  I'll give it a try and wait and see!!

From what I have found out,coming from a much lower sea level, altitude sickness only lasts a day or two. Could anyone confirm this and is it based on age or health? Thanks
    Bryan

It's very individual. Most people feel altitude the first day or two. You feel tired and short of breath climbing stairs. After that they feel no difference between see level or 9,000 ft above. Some, however are more prone to altitude sickness although I haven't heard about cases at relatively low altitude of Cuenca.

Thanks Bart.  I am 66 and smoke too much, so I get tired climbing stairs and am short of breath here. Not much difference, I quess

I am 84 and I loved all two months I was there and I'm going back for three months so it's not a problem related to age per se. Takes me about 2 weeks to get fully acclimated until then, I just slow down a little. Even Quito is not a problem. Now if you have COPD and/or need oxygen, 8200 feet is a very real problem.

Sequimite.  Slowing down is the main reason to go there so that is not a problem. Looking forward to it. If you can do it at almost 20 years my age, I am sure that I can. Thanks for the post.   Bryan

stick1947 wrote:

Thanks Bart.  I am 66 and smoke too much, so I get tired climbing stairs and am short of breath here. Not much difference, I quess

I'd get winded when I was 18 and going to school in Flagstaff at Northern Arizona University, if I had a class on the third floor. Flag is a little over 6000'. But I'd adjust a few days into the semester.

Forty-eight years later and going a few thousand feet higher, I figure it will take longer to adjust, but I don't foresee any big problems.

I run 4-6 miles about three times a week. I expect to have to lay off running entirely when I first get there, and that it will take me quite a while (at best) to build up to those distances again.

I just plan to take it one day at a time.

Bob

Bob. Doing the math makes you my age. I run about 8 to 10 FEET about 3 times a YEAR. You make me feel like a slacker. I plan on taking it one day a time as well, so I should get my distances back too. HA.  Thanks for the input.
  Bryan

stick1947 wrote:

Bob. Doing the math makes you my age. I run about 8 to 10 FEET about 3 times a YEAR. You make me feel like a slacker. I plan on taking it one day a time as well, so I should get my distances back too. HA.  Thanks for the input.
  Bryan

Bryan -- yes, I'm 66. Do whatever makes you happy. I run because it makes me feel good, but I don't try to preach to anyone else and tell them what they ought to do, because I hate it when people do that to me.

Bob

Bob. Bang on the head of the nail. I have the same philosophy. Everybody dances to their own music.  Bryan