Where to live with young family

Hi all currently going through visa process and hoping to reside in sydney soon! I am a self employed plumber in UK and have 3 young children and wondering where to live for access to good schools shops and other amenities. Am selling everything to make life hopefully almost or mortgage free,and will have 650 to 700k to put down on house.   Ive read that over the next 20 years there are to be over half a million new homes in the sydney area and would like to no where to base myself for access to plenty of work. We would like to be not far from the beach {up to 30 minutes away max if possible} and no more than an hour from the city. We like the sound of the upper north shore and northern beaches but would like to know which locations within these or any other areas we should consider. Thanks see you soon!

Hi, I'm going to apply to visa proccess, I'd like to live in Australia, wich is the best place to start?

Eastern Suburbs are pleasant areas :)

Hi there,

Well I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but if you have 700k to spend on a house, you arent going to get much on the Northern Beaches for that, probably not for a family with 3 growing children, as far as your occupation is concerned the northern beaches/upper north shore is a fairly well developed area, the developemnt you refer to in your question as far as half a million houses being built in sydney, the areas in which sydney is expanding is more out west, which let me tell me you is a hell of trip from the northern beaches and upper north shore. I would suggest you look more around central/inner west suburbs like homebush bay, cabirita, newington, gladesville, these are all very safe areas of the inner west, near the water, still only 40mins from the beaches and about the same to the city, your 700k is more likely to get you more value for money with growing kids. I lived on the northern beaches for 5yrs as nice as it is its a pain travel wise, if you were to travel from the nthrn beaches to out west where most of sydney is developing for work expect to sit in the car for nearly 2hours both ways. what you have to remember is that the northern beaches only has 2 ways in and 2 ways out. harsh reality for a great lifestyle. It is a great place to be and dont get me wrong in what i have said to you. if you can handle the time in the car and sacrafice a little housing wise (value for money) the northern beaches is a great spot to be.

I hope this gives you a little insight to everything and helps you with your decision.

Regards,

Michael

Hi all currently going through visa process and hoping to reside in sydney soon! I am a self employed plumber in UK and have 3 young children and wondering where to live for access to good schools shops and other amenities. Am selling everything to make life hopefully almost or mortgage free,and will have 650 to 700k to put down on house.   Ive read that over the next 20 years there are to be over half a million new homes in the sydney area and would like to no where to base myself for access to plenty of work. We would like to be not far from the beach {up to 30 minutes away max if possible} and no more than an hour from the city. We like the sound of the upper north shore and northern beaches but would like to know which locations within these or any other areas we should consider. Thanks see you soon!

Hej Bush!
I have some question. What is good about Sydney? Why is good to move there? What they have ? :)

Welcome to Expat.com Shka!

This is an old thread.:/

I suggest you to start a new one on Sydney forum.

Harmonie