American woman looking to meet american women friends in amman jordan

hi!

My husband and I will be moving to amman in a few years with our children, and I would like to start meeting some american women who are in the same boat lol. My husband is palestinian who calls Amman Jordan his home. His family is there and I have visited 1 time so far...april 2012 I will be in amman looking for a house :) In the mean time I would like start a friendship through emails so I will transition better. Im hoping to find a woman that I can eventually call my best friend.

Ciera

Hi Ciera,

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

I hope you find lot of new contacts on the site.

All the best,
Christine

Hello,

There is a church here in Amman (I think Baptist but I am not sure) which is attended by many Americans, and the prayers are conducted in English. I am sure you would be able to make friends there. I will post here again when I find out where it is located, sorry I couldn't be of any more help when it comes to e-mails and such.

But you I think you moving to Jordan is a mistake. I myself am half Russian half Jordanian, and I know many half-halves, like half German, Russian, Ukrainian, Romanian, Hungarian etc. in my school and they all say that they do not enjoy living in Jordan. I myself don't My mother is Russian, and I always feel sad for her, because she becomes a whole other person when we visit Russia in the holidays, but in Jordan...The climate is terrible, the cities and towns are disorganized, and in general people are not very cultured, and there are not that many parks. I do not really know, but I think you will not be that happy to live here as much as in the United States, but perhaps the fact that you are a native English speaker will make things a bit easier, since many people here speak English as a second language. The only advantage that I can think of is that Jordan is safe, and children being brought up here have far less chances of getting mixed up with drugs, and alcohol.

hi i am in the same boat, i am palestenian but born and raised in the usa, i have lived here in amman for two years now, and i so want to go back home to arizona, if you need anything i live in salt hopefully we can meet

Hi , I am currently still in uSa but plan on moving to Jordan with my husband and 2 kids . I am hoping to meet some American friends as well I will be located in Amman in march 2012!!
If you want to keep in touch get back to me :)

hi
im Jordanian guy, married, and live in Jordan, i would like to help foreign since i was in south korea and i was foreign there.
so any help just write to me ....

Hi, my name is Karen and i been in Jordan since Feb 2012, It's a little hard meeting others or for me bc i do not speak Arabic fluently. Iam from America also looking for american friend here in jordan ! Looking forward to hearing from you :D

Hi..ciara   im looking also some friend too in amman im plain houewife with three kids love to meet new friends

Hi Karen, welcome in Jordan and this wonderful forum.
If you want we can have a chat or something else.

Hi..premadonna where u here in amman

Hi Ciera,

sorry I will be leaving to go back home to the states in Apirl. bring my husband state side, I can't wait. wish you were here sooner I have had no freinds since I have been here and I don't speak the language so it's been tough being here. I wish you the best of luck and hope you find your best friend.

So You have only visited Amman one time. I hope you will like it here and everything works out for you. Do you speak the language?

best reguards
julie

Sorry Lonely, I just now saw your reply on my post.... :(

If you have still the interest... let me know

Hi,

I just saw your post.  Are you in Amman yet? 
There are many opportunities for you to meet American women in Amman.

1. IWAA.... International Women's Association of Amman.  They meet the first Thursday of every month. 

2. AWA.... American Women of Amman.  They meet the 3rd Monday of every month.

3. There are ladies who meet for coffee morning every Monday.  If you will PM me I will give details.

You will never be without friends in Amman. 

VWBug

Do you know how to contact the women of American Women of Amman?  Are they still meeting?  I can't find anything online, except some old photos on Facebook.  Thanks.

Pam

hi, i am also new to Amman from the US and would love to meet other expats here. any info on groups etc would be much appreciated!!

thanks,
Teresa

Hi Teresa,

PM me, I will tell you how to attend an AWA meeting and also an IWAA meeting if you are still interested.

Just PM me, AWA still meets.

hi ..
I'm Raed from Jordan ..
im Friendly and  I like make friends everywhere.I will be happy existence for everyone.
God bless all :)

wow thank you for all your posts!!! I am here in Amman now and am starting to feel bored lol. i would like to meet some of you, due to me having kids its hard sometimes. you can email me at [email protected] and we can go from there!!!!!

Drgnfly24

im really interested in AWA...do they still meet??

Yes AWA still meets but not in summer. 
IWAA meets all year.  They are (International Women of Amman Association) call the Sheraton Hotel @5th Circle for details.

PM me if you need anything.

Assalamu Alaikum,

I am moving to Jordan  in June 2015, and wish to meet American expats.  I am a covering Muslimah if that makes a difference.
I'd really like to know how much things will cost in American money.  Girly things,such as.....face,  hand creams, virgin coconut oil, make up and if you can buy...over the count sleep medication in the drug stores like in America. I know the UAE very well.... I shopped the little market stores, not much of a mall shopper. Oh,  and are there tailors for women shops?
I'm wondering about the weather too...Is the weather cold enough for jackets, boots and warm night clothes, or should I not pack them? And if so which months are the coldest, and does it rain a lot?
Thank you for any information you can add. that might help me adjust, woman to woman so to speak
I do have a husband, however he works in another country, he was born in Jordan, not much able to help me with girly things...lol.
Best Regards,
Fatima

Fatima,

For info can you just PM me.  I no longer give info on any gathering in a public forum.  International Women are no longer a club and will have no more meetings.  Just message me for answers to your questions.

VWBug

Hello,
You say PM you, what do you mean, PM...like on yahoo.com messenger?

PM means private message (in our private message system) however you do not have enough postings to our forums to have activated your messaging privileges yet. You need to participate a bit more and your mailboxes will automatically get unlocked.

Cheers,
James
Expat-blog Experts Team

Okay thanks,
And do you read all the mail?

Of course not it is PRIVATE, the only time we see any of it is when the receiver reports a Private Message that violates our rules.

Salams! It is quite cold in many parts of Jordan, like Amman, a good portion of the year. Bring all of your warm things!

THANK YOU,
CHEERS....

Hello,
Nice to hear from you...sorry I don't know much about Amman, may I ask where salt is?
Have an awesome day...
Fatima

Hello again,

Hope you and your family are doing well.
May I ask, what months are really cold in Amman. I'm from Nevada, we never get much cold weather.
I don't even own a coat, but cool boots...lol.  Are the prices high for coats in Amman, should I ditch
some of my clothes, I have a lot, to buy a coat to wear? Could you please let me know you opinion?
Best Regards,
Fatima

Salt is a small village in the mountains and is at the north west of Amman. The view is very beautiful.  Are you going to live there?

Normally it's getting colder from November (specially in the mornings and evenings) till, let's say half March.
In this period its warmer outside then inside the
houses due the bad or poor isolation.

Almost every winter there is snow. Not a little but much.  When it's snows or heavy raining,  the public life shut down.  You have to be prepared: enough food,  gas and water to survive for at least a couple of days till a week.

I advice you to bring all your clothes and a jacket too. Of course you can buy everything here what you need but the taste is different than elsewhere.

Keep in mind that Amman is build on mountains and is about 800 meters above sea level. When its windy in wintertime,  it feels more colder than you are used too.

Salt is a small village

:o 

Salt is the capital of the governorate Al Balqa.... all what Primadonna wrote is right:)

the cost of on coat depends of origin.... maybe if you get a chinese one for 10 - 20$ but in 2 weeks you ve to bring it to tailor several times  :lol:

or you can get better one for 70 - 150 $.

Hello,  all!  Im a 25 year old stay at home mom with 3 small children. im from the usa.  looking for friends. we live in ruseifa. pm me if you want any other info.  :)

Hello,

I  will be living in Amman city...I don't know where your township is... at the moment..
Where in the states are you from? I am from Nevada.  How do you like Amman?
I will be coming late June 2015. Hope to hear from you and your experiences in Jordan.
Best Regards,
Fatima

Absolutely it's not make a difference if you covered
I think there are there tailors for women shops but I am not sure
Jordan Is very expensive country especially Amman
It's too cold in the winter especially inside houses, actually there is insulation and hot in the summer
And also will ask the students girls (I am Arabic teacher for non- speakers) if they know more things

Thank you...I am thinking to pay the extra money, buy my things here in America and like
so many others go back to my home  country, of America, to restock... in sha Allah.
I especially grateful for the knowledge to know that the homes are cold inside, fuzzy socks
and thermals help with that problem.
I live in a warm place in America, however like anyone else we vacation to colder climates,
just for a change.
Thanks to everyone who has helped prepare  me for my trip...I guess extra
pounds in my suit case.  LOL.

Thank you so much "Primadonna " for the time you spent writing to me. You are a compassionate human being and I'm grateful.

I'll be in Amman city...I have bought warm clothes, it is a good time to buy as the seasons are changing, all the spring clothes are already out.

I wear Islamic clothes so to buy in Jordan, or have something made will suite me. Of course I am American, some clothing items will never change ...lol... have stocked up with flannels and warm booties to run about the house. As for a coat, that is still not come to me yet, nor a sweater, I live in a warm climate here in America.

Again, thank you for all your information it totally helps
Fatima

Hi Courtney 89, I am also a mom with 3 little kids(2 boys-(4years & 2 years)+1 girl( 1year)! How old are your kids?I live in Amman, not far from Abdoun. I wish you be a friend of mine. **********************

Moderated by Priscilla 8 years ago
Reason : Do not post your personal contact details on a public forum for your own security

Hi Ciera. Im not american but im chilean, same situation as you...just arrived and i have one little boy. We could meet for coffee or playdates. Send me an inbox if you interested!