Hi...Cost of living

Hi

I am chakrapani from India. I have an offer in Malaysia

My salary in India is Rs.5,60,000 INR and I save Rs.4,30,000 INR per annum. My company is planning to send me onsite to Kualampur and offered Rs.7,50,000 INR(i.e.4000RGD) per annum. The offer is very good in terms of career prospective as I am going to work top 2nd company in my domain. I am not the person who lives lavishly.

Could you please let me know whether I can be able to save the same amount of money which I am saving India.

Regards,
Chakri

Hi chakrapani,

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

I hope other members will be able to advise you.

I wish you good luck
Christine

Hi at 14.8 ringget (rm) to rupee that's 4,200 rm per month. The legal min is 5,000 rm per month for a work permit. That is all before tax. KL is expensive and average salaries around 7k. At 4k per month you can survive but won't save much. Even living very cheaply in a small room in a shared house, eating very cheaply and having no fun you can easily spend 2k in KL and that means saving less than in India. You need a higher salary anyway to be legal.

Thanks Christine and Nemodot:)

Can you please give me the break up of spendings on below if I spend average or least. What is least I have to pay and What is average I have to pay.

1) House sharing with one roommate
2) Food
3) Phone bills (uses 300 min /month ISD calls)
4) Transportation to work place
5) If any other expenditure

chakri1821 wrote:

Thanks Christine and Nemodot:)

Can you please give me the break up of spendings on below if I spend average or least. What is least I have to pay and What is average I have to pay.

1) House sharing with one roommate
2) Food
3) Phone bills (uses 300 min /month ISD calls)
4) Transportation to work place
5) If any other expenditure

It all depends where you work and where you will live! Flat share in bangsar can easily be 2k a month! 500 rm a month would be the cheaper in any area realistically. But need to add bills. Transport again is tricky as depends where! But as a rule of thumb you could be looking at a 100 rm a month but buses cheap lrt a lot nicer and taxis add on more. Food well again I doubt anyone could live off less than 300 rm a month. If you don't have to include medical bills or insurance or new clothes etc. As a guide an ex gf who was from a frugal parentage and Asian just survived 8 years ago on 1500 rm month plus rent paid separately. Costs do add up for small things. She didn't have air con or a car and used public transport. That's with no allowance for medical bills. She bought cheap local clothing and not a big spender but did call come about the same as you mention so costs got in there somewhere despite being careful. So you might do it for 2k I still think is realistic for KL if no drinking or partying or holidays or western food/clothes etc. I couldn't do that but if you have a mission to save for the future then I'm sure you can. I knownfrommexperience that bottom up budgets always go wrong as so many expenses come out of the woodwork and my ex family were Indian heritage, frugal and found and had the same problem so I would advice a 2k budget min. If you can cut corners anymore then great! Your main issue is legality. 5k min is needed but that can include housing allowance. Maybe argue for a flat share paid for?? Good luck!

Thanks a lot:)

Legality is not an issue as my client is going to take care of this.

Could please let me know mobile tariff plans.

Can you please share your mobile number at [email protected]? I want to discuss with you

Hi chakri!! My name is eylia. It seems like u are having trouble estimating your budgets to live here in Kuala Lumpur.I do agree with Nemodot.It's all depends on how you spend your expenses. With approximate earnings of RM4000 a month, it's good enough if you could get a place to stay nearby public transport.it will ease you alot especially to commute to your workplace or shopping centre.trust me..  No worries so much as most of malaysian's speak english. :)

Thanks Eliya!

Could you please let me know how much can I save so that I can compare with my savings in India.

eylia wrote:

Hello and a very good day to you chakri..

It's quit hard for me to estimate how much you actually can save compare with your current savings in India. By the way, here are some of the guidelines which might help you to calculate your total budgets if u intend to stay in Kuala Lumpur.

a) Room Rental: RM300-500 (inclusive of utilities bill)

b) Meals: Breakfast: RM5, luch:Rm8-Rm10, Dinner:RM8-10
[ It's much cheaper if you opt to cook at home :)]

Transportation: Rm200-RM300 (this is for LRt and bus only).. if you opt to take a cab.. trust me.. it will cost you alot.

Actually, if you choose to be just as moderate people and don't go to clubs or spend much on branded items, then you can save around Rm1500-Rm2000 a month with Rm4000 monthly income. (as long as you don't have kids or family here) or else.. you can"t save.

regards,

Eylia

Just want to make it clear.. the meals budget as stated are for daily. (very basic cost)

Wishing you a safe trip to KL

Thank you Eylia and Okwudili!

MY office is at Menara Multi Purpose  |  No. 8 Jalan Munshi Abdullah  |  50100 .

Please let me know can I get a single room(+Kitchen+Toilet) with 300rm-400rm near to this place.

Eylia@:

What kind of other expenses would be there apart from Room rental + Food + Transportation? It sums to RM 1600 as per above but you have stated "you can save around Rm1500-Rm2000 a month with Rm4000 monthly income. (as long as you don't have kids or family here) or else".  Please clarify.

chakri1821 wrote:

Thanks a lot:)

Legality is not an issue as my client is going to take care of this.

Could please let me know mobile tariff plans.

Yes they say that but doesn't mean anything when your passport is stamped as illegal immigrant, are in jail, taken to an airport, beaten eith a rotan (cane) and deported like cattle!

4.2k is below the legal min so I would be worried...........

chakri, i suggest you to find a room that is near to LRT station (along the Kelana Jaya Line). My recommendation will be within Wangsa Maju/Desa Setapak/Taman Melati/Setiawangsa/Sri Rampai/Setapak Jaya areas, LRT passes by these areas.  The rental in these areas are generally cheaper (for old buildings), but i'm not sure if you will get to rent a single room here.  The general practice in KL is to rent the whole house, but u can try.  Besides, studio apartment here are built for the wealthy and hence, expect expensive rental.

To reach Menara Multi Purpose, you need to take LRT & get off at Dang Wangi station (if i'm not wrong) n walk about 10-15 mins to your office.  It is safe to walk in daytime, but not too late at night, maybe by 10pm.  LRT stops at 11pm i think.

On cost of living:-
- a room/flat at RM500 in above areas,
- return LRT cost about RM6 daily = RM180,
- filling hawker food about RM20 daily (3 meals)= RM600,
- RM100 monthly for water & electricity (no air-cond),
- RM68 monthly for Yes 4G internet broadband
- about RM200 income tax monthly for salary of RM4,000 (this rate is for local, not sure if expat has different rate).  PLEASE CHECK ON THIS, IT MAY BE QUITE SUBSTANTIAL! Go to hasil.gov.my
- Telephone (call rate is competitive here, it depends very much on how u use), try to visit maxis.com.my, digi.com.my or celcom.com.my for more info.  Think you can also get a IDD calling card. Perhaps RM300 is more than enough.
- basic sundries = RM200 mth

Balance of about RM2.1k shoud be your savings, always allocate some money for emergency, indulgence, shopping n short trips in Malaysia.

Hope it helps!

also, visit www.iproperty.com.my for property rental listing

Hi, Malaysian here.. RM4K is impossible to live in KL and I have lived in KL my entire life. FYI, I earn 10X that figure and still its not enough for me. Maybe 20 years ago, that would suffice but not now with the Malaysian economy growth is escalating drastically. An average Malaysian earns at least RM8K in KL. The lower income groups earns below that par, and they can still afford 2 cars, a housing morgage, entertainment + savings.. so to answer your question, that salary is not sufficient for an expat to live in KL. Get in touch with fellow chennai and mumbai citizens in KL.. most of them stay in an area called Brickfields. I heard they've setup quite a successful business syndicate in that alley.

However, looking at your age which is just 26 years and lacking in professional experience.. i doubt any company in KL will pay you in excess of RM5K unless you're a rocket scientist or an airline pilot, or a surgeon.

Good luck bro!

Fuad, may i know what is your age & profession?  A pilot, surgeon, oil & gas scientis, SAP consultants, self employed or other professional?  I'm curious what type of job that pays RM40k a mth in Msia...

As far as I know, 40k is a lot of money for an ordinary malaysian and i know many listed companies CEOs here also do not enjoy that level of pay!

However, i do agree that RM4K is not a lot here but if exposure & experience is what you looking for and if you can save your targeted savings too, why not?

the sufficiency or insufficiency of one's income, regardless of the amount, is, by and large, dependent on one's habit of expenditure and taste. Nothing more; nothing less!

Dear conface, I am 35 years of age and I am the Head of Department for a telco company specializing in NGN Technology - Optimization & Calibration. I dont fall into all those category but have close friends working in those sectors and my present job as the stated position dont pay me that much. I do however, generate passive income (additional income stream) which amounts to that.

You are right, not all CEO's get that much of pay.
Tenaga Nasional Berhad CEO: 300K/mth + perks
Telekom Malaysia Berhad CEO: 450K/mth + perks
Maybank Malaysia Berhad CEO: in excess of >500k/mth + perks
PM of Malaysia of M'sia = 20K/mth + unknown sources of income.

Richest Malaysian, Tan Sri Robert Kuok (known as Sugar King),owner of Shang-Ri La Hotel Chain: Massive amount income.

Singapore PM: Approx. RM850K/mth (no additional proxy income).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lee_Hsien_Loong

Staggering isn't it? I don't think I'll ever reach that level, too late anyway. But hey, when you aim for something.. aim for the stars right?

Okwudili's perspective is most wise.

I'd like to apologise if my statements were offensive in nature to anyone.

Thank you for your time and insight. Thank you very much Sirs.

Hello Chakri,

Don't be discouraged by the talk of salaries in hundreds, these are the elites who exist in every country. I know some Pakistanis living in KL comfortably with salaries around 5K. I know that there is not much of a difference between lifestyles of Pakistanis and Indians; so you will do just fine there. Only thing you should be checking into is the legal issue mentioned by Nemodot. The wisdom of Okwudili will be the key to your savings :)

Usman

Hi Fuad, you did take much effort in your reply, much appreciated.

No worries dude.  Afterall, the purpose of this forum is to exchange ideas n thoughts of interest, rite?

But i could not agree entirely with Okwudili, while i do agree that your lifestyle n habit determine how much your savings is, it doesnt mean that you can live "regardless of the amount"

Hi chakrapani,

I agree with them, KL is quite expensive for living. BUT! It is how you use your money. I believe you won't come here for leisure, I bet those who spend thousand for entertainment, yes, they won't have sufficent money to save. Find low cost place for living like 3 room Flat in Kerinchi which cost you around RM500. Since your working place is near to public transport, it's much more easier for you to save more money.

May I ask, how often you go back to India? Like how many time per year?

i was looking for this info as well, thanx to all

fuaadlazaki wrote:

Dear conface, I am 35 years of age and I am the Head of Department for a telco company specializing in NGN Technology - Optimization & Calibration. I dont fall into all those category but have close friends working in those sectors and my present job as the stated position dont pay me that much. I do however, generate passive income (additional income stream) which amounts to that.

You are right, not all CEO's get that much of pay.
Tenaga Nasional Berhad CEO: 300K/mth + perks
Telekom Malaysia Berhad CEO: 450K/mth + perks
Maybank Malaysia Berhad CEO: in excess of >500k/mth + perks
PM of Malaysia of M'sia = 20K/mth + unknown sources of income.

Richest Malaysian, Tan Sri Robert Kuok (known as Sugar King),owner of Shang-Ri La Hotel Chain: Massive amount income.

Singapore PM: Approx. RM850K/mth (no additional proxy income).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lee_Hsien_Loong

Staggering isn't it? I don't think I'll ever reach that level, too late anyway. But hey, when you aim for something.. aim for the stars right?

Okwudili's perspective is most wise.

I'd like to apologise if my statements were offensive in nature to anyone.

Thank you for your time and insight. Thank you very much Sirs.

lol it's the perks that pay as CEO. And perks 10x salary, tax free (!) you all know what I mean...........

Malaysia has a very "third" world pay profile. Lots of people paid below a living wage and a few on massive incomes. Setting up your own business is the way in Malaysia and employ cheap grads and make 'em sweat!

Hi Friends,

I have been offered 5000 RM per month .. by a compny ther.. is tht ok?

from this blog i came to know that minimum wage 5000 rm for outsiders for work permit (many thanks for this )

my current pkg in India is 5.5 lakh so i am confused about offer now.......PLZ HELP ...how much can i demand have 2.8 years of experience in IT.

Thanks,
Anu

Hi friends,

I was going through the forum and found it really usefull.

I have got the offer from telecom company in Kaula lumpur and they are offering me 7k MYR. I am married and wil also bring my wife there.

My salary in india is aroung 10 lk INR. Can someone let me know how much monthly can I save in Kaula lumpur.

I have 6 yrs  experience in IT industry so just want to know if this salary is lerr or ok ???

Your suggestions are heartly welcome. Please reply so that I can make my decision to come to your country.

Regards,
Am

In my opinion 7K in KL for 3 person is enough. But it is depend on your individual needs. 2 bedroom unit in condo fully furnished is around 2K.
Food, transport, shoes, cloths,  are  cheap. Elektricity bill around 200 RM/ month.Water bill around 15 RM/2 month....anithing else?:)

from my non professional search ... yes you can

Hi My name is Siddharth and i am from Mumbai. I have a an offer from a telecom company from CyberJaya. The compensation they offer is
i got this email:

(Please find the below details furnished based on our previous conversation and kindly acknowledge this mail.
RM 4500 per month Gross pay X Rs17( Exchange Rate) = Rs. 76500
Salary for initial 6 months after 26% tax deduction:
Net Pay:
Before resident: RM 3330 X Rs17 = Rs 56610

Salary after 182 days (6 Months):
After Resident:

Actual tax: RM 224 ( ref to PDF File) 

Net pay: RM 4276 X Rs17 = Rs 72692

Cost of living:

RM 1000 to RM 1300 for a single person (Includes accommodation on sharing basis, food, travel, min usage of mobile)

Is this true that cost of living in cyberjaya is cheaper? The recruiter informed me that cost of my living there as an unmarried person would be just 1000 to 1200 MYR. Initially my tax would cut by 26 % but i would get that refunded. Also after 6 months when i get resident status my tax would be MYR 224. In addition to this they offer the following benefits
1.    Salary package
a.    The budget given is the basic salary.
b.    12% EPF (which is optional for foreign consultants to take it as an allowance), and
c.    Transport allowance (approx RM500), and/or
d.    Shift allowance (range of RM200 – RM300)
2.    Medical Benefits/Coverage
a.    Outpatient: RM2000 per year (this is inclusive of immediate family members)
b.    In-patient: Operation cost RM50,000 per illness
c.    Dental and Optical: RM1000 per annum
d.    1st Medical check-up is covered by T-Systems
e.    Full body check-up – once in every 2 years
f.    Free pap smear test for ladies-once every 2 years
g.    For foreigner: each kid is given RM150 per month per kid
h.    Maternity
i.    RM2500 for normal delivery.
ii.    10 free pre/post natal visit.- 10 free visits which includes 2 post-natal visits.
iii.    Baby vaccination 
Currently i earn round about 30K and save just 20k monthly after paying all the bills in Mumbai....Is this a good offer? Please reply to my email address.

Hi Sidd,

Lets discuss only your net pay after 182 days:-

Net Pay: RM4,276
Less Expenses in Mumbai: RM600 (Rs10,000/17) - Assumese these are your fixed monthly commitments in Mumbai.
Less Expenses in Cyberjaya:-
- Accomodation for a room: say RM500? (Please confirm wih your HR, ask them to get a property agent & prearranged before you arrive, at least u get to know the price first)
- Food: RM900 (Assuming RM10 for 3 proper meals daily for a month.  It will be much cheaper if say u only have bread for breakfast, decent lunch and selfcook dinner.  Note that cyberjaya is not a prime business district and transportation/access to food is limited all the time unless you have ur own car - check for company shuuter bus servies, if any)
- Travel: Say RM100 within Cyberjaya (I am not sure of this but pls check for shutter bus within cyberjaya area. Note if you travel to Kuala Lumpur often, its going to cost you more. Cyberjaya to Kuala Lumpur is about 45 minutes by car)
- Mobile: RM100 for normal usage with internet (Not including call back to Mumbai.  Check maxis.com, digi.com or celcom for plan details.) 

ADD:-
- Transport allowance: RM500
- Shift allowance: RM250 (median point)
- EPF: RM540 (RM4500 x 12%, you sure this part they pay you monthly if you choose not to contribute to EPF scheme? Pls verify with HR)

In the end...you estimated monthly savings is RM3,366 (about Rs57,000)

Note that my estimation is based on a very limited activities and cyberjaya confined lifestyle, therefore, it is you to decide how much you wanna spend on leisure activities and adjust your cashflow accordingly.

So, if based on the above, I think its a good opportunity for you since you are only savings Rs20k in mumbai now compared to Rs57k in cyberjaya.  Not to mention the year end bonuses, if any.  Also, the benefits are quite standard for a multinational corporation.

My another advise is, revise upward the budget for food, spend more money on healthy food (i.e. buy ingredients & self cook) instead of frequent instant noodles or bread.  Food should not be expensive here.

Lastly, i want to say that not many middle level Malaysian can save RM3k plus a month! Hope it helps.

Thanks a lot Sir. This information was of great help. :)Thanks again. I think this is a good opportunity.

I am a IT Professional with 15+ yrs experience in IT industry working in Oracle Application EBS Domain I need a help/advice from you recentry I have been offered Sr, Oracle Apps DBA in one of the MNC in Malaysia. This company located in Cyberjaya Selangor Darul Ehsan. I have been offered between RM 11000 RM. This job is permanent basis. We are a family of 3 (My self, wife and 11 yrs old daughter) Current my salary india 15LPA I have read your blogs about cost of leaving in Malaysia. So kindly suggest me whether  this offer is reasonable considering my current earning and expenses. Wondering will i be able to save anything after my expenses. I may have to tavel to India atleast twice in a year. I will be very grateful if you can give some information about the location & transportation locality nearby city and availability of vegetarian food.

This is an old thread.

Education is going to be the area to investigate, in terms of what is available around Cyberjaya for your daughter and of course the cost.

http://kualalumpur.angloinfo.com/af/250 … oling.html

I dont know anything about what curriculum she is following, but there is an International Indian School in Brickfields which is 40 km away from Cyberjaya. There is a train from Brickfields (Sentral) to Putrajaya and then local buses to the workplaces - it takes at least 1.30 hrs to get there from Brickfields by public transport and probably 45-60 mins by private car.

Here are their fees http://www.globalschoolmalaysia.org/Adm … cture.aspx

For any school you would need to check if they have a place to offer for the level required. Some schools have long waiting lists.  Terms are starting real soon, so timing your arrival is important.

Cars can be hired (all in - insurance / maintenance etc.) from RM1 K per month if you take one for 12 months.  Buying prices vary according to age and model.

I am offered 13,000 RM. Is it enough to give me and my spouse a good standard of living in KL?

As you have no doubt read some other postings in this thread - what do you think?

No  kids can live (not luxury living, lower middle class lifestyle = or what Americans call 'working class')

With kids no way as a foreigner - check out the school fees!

It all depends on your lifetsyle of course. Like alcohol? Then check out the prices. You will need a stiff drink after that! Don't want to be mugged twice  a year (it happens if you walk a lot - many now don't bother reporting it) and get sweaty all the time and buy a car? Check out car prices! Get a valium first though lol. Need two cars and have 2 kids. Then 13k is too low. Live cheaply near work, no kids, wife cooks and stay at home a lot. Then can live well save well.

But I don't believe the hype about Indians and Pakistanis living cheaper than westerners. Many Indian/Pakistanis drink and party like mad (being away from home helps I guess) - many westerners like to stay at home and watch cheap DVDs and hardly ever drink. Some westerners delight in living super cheap whereas the bling bling effect of showing off means some Asian/Indian male expats seriously 'flash da cash' to impress. Many young locals now suffer that fate and have massive credit card debts to maintain the lifetsyle they want to show off. Me I drive a Proton and two fingers up to the idiots in over priced cars that cost an arm and a leg ;) and especially Vios drivers  So I live relatively cheap apart from travel although even that I stay cheap or for free with fellow travelers. And I think 13k is low once you factor in 30% into a pension fund, 5% towards a medical reserve/insurance and the ever increasing cost of living.

My take is totally different than Nemodot !
House - a 2 BHK - 2000-2500 pm
Car - 2000 pm rental - (A Proton or Myvi; etc)
Electricity/water - 300 pm
Internet / phone - 200 RM
Grocery - 2000 RM pm (for 2 people, with shopping in B field area)
Dinner/Outing twice in a month - 1000 pm
Total - 8000 RM per month

13000 less income tax @ 20%, EPF 11% employee contribution -  Nan_12 please do your calculation and see where you stand(I am also an Indian and I have taken a typical Indian life style for a couple)

Slightly confused with all the varying information on this site.   On one hand we have an individual who refers to food costs of RM300 per month and then the lastest individual states a grocery bill of RM2000 and dining out of RM1000.

From my recollection of living in Malaysia, albet it probably over a decade ago the price of staple foods was set by the government so RM2000 seems quite a lot, that's pretty much a similar shopping bill to that which we pay in the UK!

:o

Chakri1821 - did you come to KL and was it a good experience?

BLT2011 wrote:

Slightly confused with all the varying information on this site.   On one hand we have an individual who refers to food costs of RM300 per month and then the lastest individual states a grocery bill of RM2000 and dining out of RM1000.

From my recollection of living in Malaysia, albet it probably over a decade ago the price of staple foods was set by the government so RM2000 seems quite a lot, that's pretty much a similar shopping bill to that which we pay in the UK!

:o

A decade ago a Watermelon juice in a  Mamak was 1.50 RM

Now it is 6-8 RM

You do the math.