Information Wanted!

Hello all!!!!

Looking to make the big jump from Portland, Oregon USA to Auckland in early 2012 to study at Uni of Auckland.  Bringing my Aussie boyfriend with and we are loaded with questions!  Any other international students out there? 

Where would be a suitable location to set up home if most of my classes are at the Tamaki campus?  I heard that traffic is a bear over there.  Should I rely on public transit or invest my own set of 4 wheels?  We are in our early 30's (stress EARLY!!!) so we want a place that has something going on as opposed to the suburban life.  Is downtown the best option? 

SOCCER.  We are addicted to playing soccer.  What's the soccer scene over there?  Is it pretty easy to find recreational leagues (stress RECREATIONAL...We aren't that good but decent enough) that are co-ed?  Where do we need to go to get connected into the soccer system.

Any must-brings? 

More questions as I think of them...

Hi rachbyrnes,

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

I hope you get replies to your queries very soon and find lot of new contacts on the site.

I wish you good luck
Christine

Hello rachbyrnes

i am Lulu, from AKL. Nice to meet you.

If you live city life, my advice would be living in city or suburbs close to city, such as Ponsonby, parnell,New Market, which have plenty of entertainment.

You can get a bus or train to Tamaki campus from city. However having a car will be ideal if you want to go somewhere else as public transportation isn't that great in AKL.

Unfortunately, football isn't a big thing here, which are overshadowed by Rugby.

Good luck!

Hi there,

I would suggest buying a car as the public transport leaves a lot to be desired in Auckland unless you live in a suburb close to the city. Cars aren't very expensive although petrol isnt cheap anymore.

Yes rugby does overshadow soccer but there is a pretty active club scene for soccer. I would recommend getting in touch the Eastern Suburbs Club as they have been around for a long time. Also there's bound to be some soccer through the university. All the universities in New Zealand are actively competing against eachother in a huge range of sports.

If you want to know anything send me a note.

Cheers

Also I have a friend and she plays soccer in the Tamaki area. If anyone knows about the soccer scene there she will. Send me a note if you're interested and organise her contact details for you.

Hi This is mark desouza from india iam looking for a job in hotel industry dishwasher or general cleaner or room boy or in an office as an office boy (up keep of office cleaning mopping washroom cleaning)in any city in newzerland kindly help me out currently iam working in saudiarabia

mark leo desouza wrote:

Hi This is mark desouza from india iam looking for a job in hotel industry dishwasher or general cleaner or room boy or in an office as an office boy (up keep of office cleaning mopping washroom cleaning)in any city in newzerland kindly help me out currently iam working in saudiarabia

Why don't you just contact the hotels direct. One point to remember is that the service industry within hotels, restaurants etc has the highest turnover of positions of employment. I don't think you'll have too much difficulty finding a place to work. Make sure that you have a work visa as people are not generally employed 'under the radar' especially with people from overseas.

Try these websites:
trademe.co.nz (many jobs in NZ are listed here)
nzherald.co.nz
seek.co.nz

Best of luck, cheers