GPS (Garmin) users in Kenya?

I've been trying to get a handle on the different maps (Kenya, East Africa, Africa)that are available for various GPS devices. I now know at least 4 different maps providers for Garmin GPS units. The websites for these various map sellers are NOT the the best place to gather comparative info (they all just want to sell their maps). I'm wondering what others out there are using. How do the various maps compare with each other? I'm happy to share what I've gathered (i.e., web sites, costs, places to buy legal maps for Garmin units, the differences I've been able to determine, etc.). 

I'm also wondering if there would be interest in starting a "GPS Users Group" in Kenya. This could be a great forum for sharing info, experiences, corrections to maps, support, etc.

Anyone out there interested?

Hi

I have a Garmin GPS that I bought in the U.S. Before coming here I bought Garmin's East Africa maps on a memory card. It was easy to install, all I had to do was to slip the memory card into the GPS

They've worked well, although some street names are misspelled.
If I remember right, the map was about 135$ and I ordered from Garmin's own web site.

I have not tried it outside Nairobi, but it covers all major cities as well as neighboring countries.

The ones sold by Garmin in the USA for East Africa are NavTeq maps (I believe). They are, by far, the most expensive. Other maps cover most of Africa --East, South, and West, and cost about half the price of the Garmin maps for East Africa alone.I'd be interested in knowing
1. how can/have/do you update these maps
2. how frequently are updates available
3. how current are the maps themselves (for example, are the new Nairobi bypasses, now in use, included on the maps you have?

The Tracks4Africa (T4A) maps are updated twice a year, and are being built up by gps users who send in their recorded trips with notes. The T4A maps also cover most of Africa, and are a great deal cheaper than the "official" Garmin maps.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

I have a Nuvi 200 and would like to geta copy of T4A map how do I get it and will it work in my Nuvi 200?

HI, new to the site and would like to say hello to all the users.
I'm looking for help with Nissans built in Satnav system, I imported from the UK but the DVD that came with the vehicle is for Europe, is it possible to get a DVD that will work here in East Africa, Nissan have not been a great help so far.

Ivan, I send you a private message. Let me know if you did not get it.

Basically, the Tracks4Africa maps are available for purchase and download from their web site. http://tracks4africa.co.za/

Thanks for that, I am in Australia at present but will be back in Nairobi on 3 ed Feb and will contact u then to down load
Regards Ivan Smith

Hello,

Yes you can get Street Maps covering the entire E.Africa that can Work on any Garmin GPS.

[Moderated: No free ad on the forum pls]

Hi I am Now in Kanya and I see my Garmin is A Nuvi 260 not a 200 will be in nairobi e=next week and would like to meet Regards Ivan Smith

I wonder how did you guys solve the problem with Garmin map. I brought my Garming to Kenya and now it gathers dust as I don't have an img file. Anyone can help?

Hello Polrad,

Yes you can get your GPS back in shape.

[Moderated]

TO: Ivan Smith

I'm in Nairobi on Tusedyas and Fridays. Please contact me a ckingsbury [at] daystar.ac.ke

There are a few places in Nairobi that are selling the very expensive Garmap maps for Africa that will (probably) work in your Garmin GPS. You can check out the info about the Garmap maps at http://www.garmap.co.za/Catalog/View.as … &tag=maps. IMHO, these maps are very expensive (SAR 999.00), and you don't get any detail of the actual coverage until you buy the maps. Now, maybe the folks retailing the maps in Kenya will demonstrate for you so you can find out if the maps meet your needs. I have an older set (2010), which is not very helpful as the road construction in Kenya has made things very different since then.

I find the Tracks4africa gps maps for Garmin a much better buy. (See: http://tracks4africa.co.za/shop/product … anda-1210/) The price is SAR 299.00 (for East Africa) and they get updated twice a year, and are being built up by gps users who send in their recorded trips with notes. You can purchase the T4A maps by region or for Africa as a whole. You can purchase them online and download them to your computer to be installed on your Garmin GPS. You can see the entire map at their web site, so you can tell if it will meet your needs. I have a set for about 18 month ago. I've not updated mine recently.

The Garmap and T4A maps are really very different from each other. The T4A maps are not as good in the cities and towns, but are great in the rural areas and national game parks. The Garmap maps are nearly blank in small towns, rural areas, and parks.

Another alternative altogether is to get an android smartphone with a GPS and use the Google maps. These maps are free, but you will use up a lot of money using data download from your phone service provider as you need to be online to use this. One can download smaller portions of Google maps to be used offline.

I can make any garmin Nav unit work. I'm in Nairobi, just drop me a mail. Thanks.

Hi.
I have a paragliding specific vario/gps (Flytec 5020) which does not receive satellites anymore.
Any help would be appreciated, either yourself and/or contact of someone who could have a loook at it.
Regards
Thierry

Yes,

You can check the Garmin facebook page. Garmin Shop, Kenya

[Moderated: no free ad on the forum pls + register in the business directory]

I have east african maps you can try get in touch with me if you need one either using email or phone number 0729167041