Where do most expats retire in Philippines?

#1 21 June 2011 08:31:33

Where do most expats retire in Philippines?

Hi!

Just helping out a friend.
The place should be:
·         Nice (not big city or apartment)
·         Safe
·         Cheap
·         Have schools and hospitals
·         Shops nearby, etc

Any suggestions?

#5 22 June 2011 07:40:40

funkydelicguy
funkydelicguy
Manchester

Re: Where do most expats retire in Philippines?

dhnindc wrote:

Davao

i agree. Davao City is a modern metropolis bustling with life, verve and color, situated in a typhoon-free zone with a land area of 244,000 hectares touted as one of the world’s largest.

From its fertile mountain ranges and valleys, down to the rich blue waters of the gulf, Davao City is abundant with natural wealth and wonders. Its potable water is considered second cleanest water in the world according to the World Health Organization.

#6 22 June 2011 08:31:22

Angeles, Pampanga is known for girly bars so I dont want him to be there.

Davao is in Mindanao, a place which I wont recommend for expats for safety reasons.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks for the replies anyway ^_^

#8 22 June 2011 08:55:01

funkydelicguy
funkydelicguy
Manchester

filipino.united wrote:

Davao is in Mindanao, a place which I wont recommend for expats for safety reasons.

Any other suggestions?

Don't generalize Mindanao as a dangerous place. Davao is totally a safe city. What i advice is only avoid ARMM area.

Try to visit Davao first.  Personally you can see the real situation and definitely you can say, the best place to retire in the philippines.

#9 22 June 2011 09:03:32

dhnindc
dhnindc
Makati

+1 on Davao. I had read that its probably the safest city in Phils due to Mayors strict anticrime practise.

Well, every city in Philippines will have safety issues. You will get run over by a jeepney/bus well before any kidnapping terroist activity.

The only city to really stay away is Metro Manila. Just too many people, traffic and pollution. But upside is good restaurants, bars, social activities.

#10 26 June 2011 15:30:32

pinaymentor
pinaymentor
Alabang, Philippines

we need to know your budget before we can send you any recommendations. what school, elementary, high school, university? do they like metro area or next big cities like Cebu, etc? is this a family of how many? narrow down your choices and needs.

pinaymentor

#12 03 July 2011 11:51:58

aspca

Second cleanest in the world, are you kidding me ?

funkydelicguy wrote:

dhnindc wrote:

Davao

i agree. Davao City is a modern metropolis bustling with life, verve and color, situated in a typhoon-free zone with a land area of 244,000 hectares touted as one of the world’s largest.

From its fertile mountain ranges and valleys, down to the rich blue waters of the gulf, Davao City is abundant with natural wealth and wonders. Its potable water is considered second cleanest water in the world according to the World Health Organization.

#13 06 July 2011 09:03:07

FilAmericanMom
FilAmericanMom
Quezon City

funkydelicguy wrote:

I would have to see the actual World Health Organization report, and not just second, third, nth-hand accounts, to believe it.  Any one has a copy?

Last edited by FilAmericanMom (06 July 2011 09:06:25)

#14 06 July 2011 18:36:59

Sydneygirl
Sydneygirl
Makati

funkydelicguy wrote:

dhnindc wrote:

Davao

We're getting a bit off topic here, but I think you're not too far off from your statement. This study is base on the country not just Davao, so you might have a legitimate argument there. This is from a UNESCO study in 2003  not WHO, it ranked the Philippines #15 in the world for water quality.
Finland came in #1 and Canada #2 and New Zealand #3.

To my surprise, Australia came in #20 behind #19Iceland, #18Austria,#17Ireland,#16 Switzerland then Philippines at #15.

What happen to Belgium, dead last at #122. Mauritius at #112, hey Julien, don't drink your water :) Just kidding, peace Julien, peace!

There are a few people in this forum that love to bash the Philippines in general and we know who they are. I think it's time to cut that crap out. We know it's a third world country and has its problems and social ills. It has been beatened down so many times by the same member in particular.

http://www.unesco.org/bpi/wwdr/WWDR_chart2_eng.pdf

#15 07 July 2011 01:28:38

angelstirera
angelstirera
Makati

NO KIDDING!! I HAVE NO IDEA!! i guess i can drink top water then! hahaha!!

Julien- be safe!:)
Sydney girl- thanks for this! :) ill brag this around! LOL

Sydneygirl wrote:

funkydelicguy wrote:

dhnindc wrote:

Davao

We're getting a bit off topic here, but I think you're not too far off from your statement. This study is base on the country not just Davao, so you might have a legitimate argument there. This is from a UNESCO study in 2003  not WHO, it ranked the Philippines #15 in the world for water quality.
Finland came in #1 and Canada #2 and New Zealand #3.

To my surprise, Australia came in #20 behind #19Iceland, #18Austria,#17Ireland,#16 Switzerland then Philippines at #15.

What happen to Belgium, dead last at #122. Mauritius at #112, hey Julien, don't drink your water :) Just kidding, peace Julien, peace!

There are a few people in this forum that love to bash the Philippines in general and we know who they are. I think it's time to cut that crap out. We know it's a third world country and has its problems and social ills. It has been beatened down so many times by the same member in particular.

http://www.unesco.org/bpi/wwdr/WWDR_chart2_eng.pdf

#16 07 July 2011 09:08:30

Harmonie
Harmonie
Mauritius/Ile Maurice

Hello some of you are going off-topic, please concentrate on the initial topic.

Thank you,
Harmonie.:)

#17 07 July 2011 12:30:39

Armand
Armand
Flic en Flac Mauritius

Sydneygirl wrote:

Mauritius at #112, hey Julien, don't drink your water :) Just kidding, peace Julien, peace!

Not relevant as we don't even have water to drink. Massive drought here at the moment :P

Indeed we are off topic so i suggest to create a new thread ;)

Armand

#18 08 July 2011 06:38:06

FilAmericanMom
FilAmericanMom
Quezon City

filipino.united wrote:

Hi!

Just helping out a friend.
The place should be:
·         Nice (not big city or apartment)
·         Safe
·         Cheap
·         Have schools and hospitals
·         Shops nearby, etc

Any suggestions?

Is your friend retiring or still going to do business here?  I'm curious why he needs to be near schools.  Is he planning to get a college degree or graduate studies?  Or does he plan to bring any young ones, like his children or grandchildren?

I would recommend living in one of the small quiet towns of Batangas, perhaps somewhere that's also a short driving distance from Lipa, which has schools, hospitals and shops. 

He can get a nice chunk of land and build a small house there, and the price is a lot less than in the city.  I would recommend that he build his house close to the perimeter, as neighbors might decide to raise chickens and pigs, which could smell.

In one of these small towns is probably where I and my husband would retire in our golden years, if we're still in the Philippines.  Hopefully, by that time, these small towns wouldn't get spoilt by big businesses and real estate developers.  Safety / security would be an issue though, as the police are not quick to react.  But safety is an issue anyways anywhere you go.

#21 26 July 2011 01:09:51

Peter Clark
Peter Clark
San Pablo city laguna

Its important to check the areas for a place unaffected by flooding and landslides. On the edge of a large city is beneficial for schools and shopping. Lipa is a good choice and close to the highway for trips to Manila/Batangas
You may look at San Pablo Laguna, it never gets flooded and had some interesting places nearby. There is also a new SM complex just been built. Fiesta time is remarkable with processions etc.
If a foreigner I would avoid the South and NPA areas.

#23 11 August 2011 04:51:08

Married Kano
Married Kano
Magalang, Pampanga-Philippines

filipino.united wrote:

Any other suggestions?

There are places close to but not in Angeles that are quite good. At least close to Angeles there is pretty good medical care and everything is available at the many shopping malls here. If your friend likes being at the ocean, then I'd suggest Subic Bay area. Many good stores and new malls there as well. Subic is still less than one hour from Angeles area but much nicer.

Gene

#24 11 August 2011 12:55:08

Splint
Splint
Bacolod City

Bacolod City,

Not Big, all the shops they will ever need, schools and several hospitals, and I find it cheap buy my budget may be a fair bit different to your friends.

Cheers

#25 29 November 2012 06:01:21

Peter Clark
Peter Clark
San Pablo city laguna

Most expats from our experience choose somewhere close to their wives family,..that is if financial support is bugetable.

It is easy to gain all the luxuries of life here in the Philippines from loyal lady wife to drivers and maids etc but without an interest or hobby to occupy your time you will become isolated and lonely. We've met some expats with similar lifestyles who end up drinking every day and pass there time like that....very sad!

There are guys who fall for a single parent and use there time bringing up a family again.

Some chaps choose expensive gated subdevisions but discover that the only social is the maid of the neighbour.

Most areas of the Philippines are hot but there are some places that catch the breezes and you can build there with carefully planned property that enjoys fresh air even during the heat of the midday sun.

There are expats and expats, some you would enjoy a regular meetup with and others you definnetly would not, some times its the expats wife you can't mix with or your wife doesn't see eye to eye with.

Whatever you decide, best to rent for a while and see how you feel. Easy to buy in the PI but not to sell....remember that.

Expatriate health insurance Philippines
Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in the Philippines.
>> Click here
Expat banking Philippines
Discover the benefits of expat banking for people living and working abroad.
>> Click here
Moving to Philippines
A few tips from professionals about moving to Philippines.
>> Click here
Travel insurance Philippines
Don't worry and travel happy across Philippines.
>> Click here