Visas

Hi, I'm English, I live in Spain but I want to move to Colombia. Can I get a visa by post(without having to go there in person that is) from the Colombian Embassy in Madrid?
Do they speak English?
Do you have any contact details - Tell No, email etc for the Colombian Embassy?
Thanks. A.L.

Yes,I did all my visa paperwork from the US at the Colombian consulate before I moved here.  Since then, (more than 2 years ago) I have had to change and renew my visa numerous times in Bogota.  I never had to go to the embassy as all the paperwork was processed through DAS.  There were 2 people there that I found that spoke English well enough to help me.  The worst part is the lines and the waiting to find out what information you need, getting the copies, going to the bank, getting the pictures and then returning to stand in line again.....

The address to DAS is
Calle 100 and Carrera 11B 29
and the phone is (571) 408-8000

Hey ilovecow how are you?

I'm from the U.S. also living in Barranquilla but have found it extremely difficult to even find a job willing to help with a work visa. How did you originally stay before you got married? Was it a work or a student visa and do you have any tips that might help? I'd appreciate any information!

Thanks!

Wow, this seems like a lifetime ago, haha.  I originally came to Colombia on a student visa which i kept renewing until we got married, I guess i had that visa for almost two years, then i got the spousal visa which i had to have for 3 years and currently, I have a resident visa.

It is unlikely that you will find someone willing to help with a work visa, what kind of work are you looking for? If you tell me you want to teach English then i assure you that unless you have a degree of sorts it will be difficult to find a place willing to go through the hassle, you are better off just hanging out as a tourist and being paid cash.  I have heard of people getting help with work visas in Cartagena and Bogota for teaching jobs but again, they had teaching degrees.

I probably have a lot of tips i could give you but it depends what you want to know!

What brought you to Barranquilla?

Thanks for the reply! I've already had to leave and come back because my 90 days was up and I am just looking for another way to stay longer without having to do that every three months as I've heard they'll only let you enter a certain number of times. I have my TESOL but not a degree in teaching, only in linguistics. so Ive just been giving private English classes and sending out my resume like crazy in the meantime in hopes that something more secure will come up. Honestly I would even consider studying in a university if it would help me get a visa, it might be worth it in the long run!

I came here 4 years ago and fell in love with the place. So I finished school in Ohio where I'm from, saved up a bit and moved back, hoping to stay. It's just been a little harder than I had planned!
Again, thank you for the info. Always good to meet fellow expats!

You would probably have more luck getting a student visa initially but the paperwork process is..., well its a process.  Im 2 semesters away feom finishing my degree here in International Relations and i have this gut feeling there will be some sort of problem that just pops up at the end.  Maybe we can catch up in person some time and compare war stories, Hahah.  If y8u want, send me your infp via pm.

Also, I promise I can spell.  I am on my phone and its just way easier to ignore the typos and say sorry, i have fat fingers.