How many Indians in Norway??

Hi All,

I'm new in this forum. I've got an offer from my Company, the  Software company to work in their Norway centre. I'm currently working from India. Since I've never been to Oslo and so not able to make my mind whether to try and take risk of accepting the offer. I wish to know about how many Indians and how many indian store are there in approx in Oslo. As I'm vegetarian and so will I be able to survive there??? How is climate and how are poeple and place in all about OSLO.

Please do help me in anyways to understand the above asks so that I can come to know the actual facts about life in Oslo.... Plz do help :):)

Thanks!
Swati

While I don't know about the size of the Indian expatriate community in Oslo, I'm certain that'll you'll survive as a vegetarian. There's plenty of stores that sell vegetables although the selection can be pretty limited.

hi there ,,

norway is the best place to stay.. you can find many veg restaurants here .. mostly people cook at home... i mean i do so at home...

regards

rakesh

Thanks for inputs everyone!!
Please do update me about the climatic conditions and local language as well. I know only Englush and Hindi and so will local language a big concern?

Norway is indeed a good place to live in, before moving to a new country its important to do your own research too. I will tell you the positives and negatives of living there from my perspective.

It is a very beautiful country, if you are an outdoor person you will enjoy the breath taking nature. Are you interested in outdoor activities like camping, trekking and so on? if not maybe you will not enjoy it after a few months.

Country is safe.

Coming from India you will feel even Oslo is relaxing when others complain about traffic and so on, rest of the country is practically empty.

You can survive with English, most of the locals do speak English. Its easier to survive with just English compared to other European countries. However I will recommend you to learn the local language for so many reasons, one is to socialize.

People are friendly and helpful at a third person level even though it is difficult to make real friends.

In my opinion if you dress well cold is not a big problem, the question is can you adapt to the darkness?? for many months you will not see any real day light, at the peak of winter there will be light only for 5 hours maybe from 0900 to 1400 (light means like early morning). If you dont make friends soon you will be alone in a cold and dark country, and it is very difficult.

I know the salary will sound very big, did you take into account of the taxes and living expenses? As a new immigrant and if you are single you will have very few deductions from tax, so roughly calculated 35% tax. You will benefit from paying high taxes only if you want to settle here, otherwise you will just pay very high taxes and get nothing of worth in return before you leave. So if you dont want to establish here then think very hard.

You can survive as a vegetarian on potatoes and some frozen vegetables, the choices are very few; in this aspect its more difficult than other European countries. However vegetables are cheaper than meat so you have an advantage.

Decent apartment will cost 7000 kr per month, in most of the cases you pay for utilities above that.

There are very few Indians in Norway, however they have started arriving now (mostly skilled professionals). Pakistanis are one of the largest minorities in Norway.

Hi,

I am pure veg here and found more veg options that city like Chennai :P. You will find all kind of Indian spice /masala and vegetable here with very good quality (Ofcourse little costly). I havnt been in winter so dont know so much about it.

Dear Rakesh,

I am planning to come to Oslo for searching a job in sales field.

I have total 11 yrs exp. and have good command over English.

Please guide me what are my chances of getting a job in Norway.

Your advice will highly be appreciated.

Regards,

Sunil

I think there are about 8000 Indians in Norway, of which a majority are Punjabi.

There are about 35,000 Pakistanis, and they too are mostly Punjabi.

Indians/Pakistanis usually live in or close to Oslo.

Hi Swati,

Congratulations on your offer .
I am also a software engineer working in Oslo from Past one year.
Oslo nice place to work , good work culture , peaceful place.
There are lot lot of Indians here. Do not worry about the number.
They are plenty :) Also you get everything here to cook. you get Idli , Dosa , vada also :)

Only concerns here are winter and expensive. Its quite cold and country is expensive. but salaris are also high , so it should be ok.

Let me know if you need any more information :)

Best regards
Santosh

As per first secretary of Indian Embassy (Mr Honda) here in Oslo, the head count of Indians is 9,600.

Oslo is full of vegetarian joints.
Country is 3rd richest and quite safe.
Unemployment is lowest when compared to EU nations.
The current Chess champion is Magnus Carlsen - a 20 year Norwegian boy, and not our Vishwanathan Annand.

I am a single guy and pure vegetarian from Bangalore, it is possible to cook whatever Indian vegetarian food according to me. I even made masala dosas and idlis with sambar and chutney (of course you need to have a mixer from India). I think its not at all problem for vegetarians if you cook food yourself. But if you go to social gatherings, barbecues you obviously have limited choices...

Norway according to me is best place to live or settle down... good luck :)

search for indians in oslo on fb for more oslo centric information

Hi All,

I m planing to mirgate to oslo for searching job on job seekal visa. I have gained 10 years of work exp with corporate sector in Sales / Marketing field. Willing to know something more about norway indian's life style such as.
1. Cost of Rental appartment.
2. Minimum wages for any job per hour as decided by govt.
3. Apporx food cost per person in month.
4. How is transportation their .. Local Train / Bus Frequently /  rarely.
5. How fast job will be avaiable for any indian their for getting settled & their own servival.
6. Is education is free for Child?

Requesting indians for your valuable advice / guidance.

Regards,
Amish
Gujarat - Baroda.
[email protected]

amishdave wrote:

Hi All,

I m planing to mirgate to oslo for searching job on job seekal visa. I have gained 10 years of work exp with corporate sector in Sales / Marketing field. Willing to know something more about norway indian's life style such as.
1. Cost of Rental appartment.
2. Minimum wages for any job per hour as decided by govt.
3. Apporx food cost per person in month.
4. How is transportation their .. Local Train / Bus Frequently /  rarely.
5. How fast job will be avaiable for any indian their for getting settled & their own servival.
6. Is education is free for Child?

Requesting indians for your valuable advice / guidance.

Regards,
Amish
Gujarat - Baroda.
[email protected]

Eliya kem cho...

amishdave:

The Pakistanis came to Norway from 1970 and on, so they were first in Norway. The Indians also came to Norway quite early and their lifestyle is the same as that of Pakistanis - with focus on the Punjabi identity. Most Pakistanis/Indians were born in Norway, allthough some have arrived later.

Food prices vary - but mostly milk/diary products is abnormally expensive, around 2 euro or 2œ euro per litre of milk. If you eat meat then that is expensive too, but everything else is reasonable if you do your shopping at the Supermarket.

Transportation in Oslo : Good , reliable and Oslo is served by bus, tram and underground trains.

Education is free for all - many Norwegians who left school early , say after 7th grade or 9th enroll in adult learning facilities as Norway has a culture for lifelong education and it is not limited to children. The same is true of higher education.

Hi All,
My self Rizwan from Delhi,India.Am having 2 yrs of experience in Datawarehousing domain with Informatica tool and am planning to move to Norway on Job seeker visa which is valid for 6 months.Am a Master's degree holder in Computers,so what is the chance of getting a job after i arrive in Norway.Is it better to come or not?
so plz guide me through this and looking for your valuable responces.

Thanks&Regards,
Rizwan
[email protected]

Dear all,

I am Kiran from India, I have done my MBA and have 9 years of experience in Telecom retail operations and Sales.proficient in English.
What are the chances of getting job in Norway and what would be salary approx.with this kind of profile.

Pls help with your inputs.

Regards
Kiran

Hi,
Oslo- a busy capital but not like Delhi or other cities in India. It's cold climate except the so called summer which is end of June to Aug. but still not real summer.Norweigens not prefer to speak english though they know very well as they have  national pride as they say.The entire country is expansive to live as compared to other europe cities / countries. Tourist one mostly come across rich Americans or Japanese and few Germans in summer.Pakistani population is more as compared to Indian. The so called Indian restaurants are mostly managed by Pakistani.Asian shops are there in Oslo as well as Bergen.One can by daily need household items as one buy in India.I wrote asian shops as they are not Indian exactly but product they resumble.Anything more you need feel free as I am in India up in the mountains.Norway is beautiful specially the fjords and the train journey from oslo to bergen. A good life time experience different than India and is safe for women.Goodluck........Rajeev

i want to need a help about the information of norway.i want to stay there if any  indian buddy are there then plz suggest me about norway i can find job or not in norway?
plz help if any indian are norway i need support of indian

Good description Dauladhar

hi all frdssss
i m bhms (homoeopath) doctor and i want to go norway
so can anyone give me information can i hve any scope there if not thn any other work and find work in oslo in easy or difficult??????????

Hi Swati,

How are you..have u already arrived in Norway..hows work been..Do callup once ur in Norway..

Regards
Ali

Hi Swati

I am also currently planning to move to Norway.

I am looking for a suitable job there.

Wishing you good luck.

Arti

Hello every1,

Am planning to move to Norway on Job Seeker Visa.
Am having more than 15 yrs experience in automobile Industry in sales.What r the scope of jobs and chances to survive?
Please give me your valuable advises and tips.

Regards
Preet

hi bro,
iam aman from punjab,india i and my friends plan to come norwayand iam electrical engineer with 8years exp and want to know is job finding in norway is very difficult and norwish employer not take interest in foriegners and i also want to know norway job seeker visa is schengan visa can we move to another country from norway by train is this possible any time means after reaching norway and our fist step is to register UDI and get 6month visa and then can we move to another country by train is this possible or not
can we get acheap accomodation in norway and one thing is it necessary you have to find job in your  skillled category  and u can do other jobs or not.
please guide me
with regards,
aman

Hi Swati,

I have also got an offer from a software company and already in Norway, If u need any help pls write me an email at [email protected]

SwatiJ wrote:

Hi All,

I'm new in this forum. I've got an offer from my Company, the  Software company to work in their Norway centre. I'm currently working from India. Since I've never been to Oslo and so not able to make my mind whether to try and take risk of accepting the offer. I wish to know about how many Indians and how many indian store are there in approx in Oslo. As I'm vegetarian and so will I be able to survive there??? How is climate and how are poeple and place in all about OSLO.

Please do help me in anyways to understand the above asks so that I can come to know the actual facts about life in Oslo.... Plz do help :):)

Thanks!
Swati

Hi i am a media guy. Into animation, vfx, shoot, corporate documentary. I am looking forward to shift to norway. Do you think it is a good option!

Things i like.
I like green places
friendly,welcoming,people
i want quality life, good education/environment for my future kids
work availability
English Language!

Hi All

I am from India planning to come to Norway in search for job. Is it very difficult to get one?..

Thank You

Devang

Hi,

I have experience in Facility management and security management and would want to come there in Jobseeker Visa. What are the chances in this field.

Amit Sharma

search for Indians in Oslo in fb for this kind of general info.

Dear All Job seeker,
Just Wanted to clear one thing,please make sure before coming to oslo that you have enough money or package or arrangements from your company.Important thing is that it is too costly city but nice city with safety.Mail me if you need any help.
Good Luck

i want to do job in tha hospital in norway i want to take some information about hospital like technology becaus i have more clinical  experince my qualification is GNM,BSC NSG & i have 10 years clinical  experince & 1 years teaching experince

hey swati even m planning to be immigrant in norway. so can pls tell me where would you stay? and when are you planning to go? we are also a group of 2 girls so we could be touch with each other in norway. kindly help

hello every one

i am masi from india,i got a job offer in a oil and gas company in norway with a salary of 26,000 nok .Basically i am a non veg if the food is halal then i opt for vegeterian food.so i wanna know the muslim population of norway and the possibility of getting the halal food.whether it is a good option to migrate to norway or not?plz do reply if any one know about it!!!

thanx:)

Hello,

In Oslo there is no problem getting halal. One district of the city, Grønland, is mostly Muslim. They would have everything you need. Outside of Oslo, you might have problems, but I suppose in the cities you might have some chance of finding somewhere that would meet your needs.

David

thanx david for your reply

David is right - your best bet for Asian food is in "Grønland", which is in the city centre.

If you prefer vegetarian food over halal there is the ISKCON (Hare Krishna cafe) which serves 100% pure vegetarian food in Majorstue and it can be reached from Oslo city centre by T bahn (Light rail/underground).

Grønland has many grocery stores too so you also find Turkish, Arabic and Pakistani food items in general such as flat bread.

You asked about the Muslim population and there will be around 200,000 or so Muslims in Norway, most of whom live in or around Oslo.

There are around 40,000 Pakistanis and if you are Indian Muslim then you will have most in common with them, and not with Turks or Iraqis - there are almost no Bangladeshis in Norway. You also find Tamils from Sri Lanka and mostly Punjabis from India...

so its easy to find jobs for indian in retail field without knowing norway language

rakeshsingh2804 wrote:

hi there ,,

norway is the best place to stay.. you can find many veg restaurants here .. mostly people cook at home... i mean i do so at home...

regards

rakesh

hi sir
my name is chetan
can u help me to ?
i am plan to come norway ?