Considering a move to Dorado

My husband and I are considering moving in January to Dorado with our 2 school age kids.  I am looking for advice on what neighborhoods are best to meet new people and have a lot of children for our kids to play with.

We will also be traveling to Dorado for two weeks in August and wanted to know of a good place to stay.

Hi and welcome to the forum snlkelleher!

I hope other members will advise you soon ;)

Regards
Armand

Hi,
We live in Dorado and love it.  we call it the dorado bubble because it is such a small, close community and most people speak english.  Are you considering an English speaking school?  Tasis is a very good private english speaking school.

As far as neighborhoods, dorado beach east, sabanera, and paseos are very nice and safe. 

If you have any more questions, let me know!  i'd be happy to help!

wende

hi,
welcome to PR!  I'm happy to answer any questions.  Been here 4 years as an expat! 

wende

Moderated by Bhavna 8 years ago
Reason : Please avoid posting your contact details on the forum.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

any time is fine.  I think we are now on the same clock

[url][link moderated]

Lisa Penfield.  She lives in Sabanera!
787 638 3333

no, never heard of it.  There is a newcomers group.  They typically meet in san juan, but there's a break-out group in dorado for lunches, etc...

There is also a MOPS in Dorado (moms of preschoolers) group.  They meet twice a month. 

The local Jayne Stern Library also host a number of classes.

I our neighborhood we have bunco night, book club, sailing, volleyball, golf and generally the expats get together a LOT!  its really fun!

Dorado beach east, sabanera and Tasis all offer summer camps.

hope this helps...

Hi Wendy,

We may be looking at Dorado in Oct. 2014.  Would you describe it as an affluent area? Country Club, Golf course, security, gated community?

How is the health care in that area?  Doctors? Hospitals? Emergency care?  Thank you.

web_bruin wrote:

We may be looking at Dorado in Oct. 2014.  Would you describe it as an affluent area? Country Club, Golf course, security, gated community?

All of that is available in Dorado. Look f.i. here: http://www.doradobeachclub.com/
If you have/make enough $$ you'll be fine.

web_bruin wrote:

How is the health care in that area?  Doctors? Hospitals? Emergency care?

I assume there are better medical facilities for the rich but health care for common people isn't that good. You may want to read this thread: https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=359991
From people who can afford it I know that some have medical plans that include transport to and treatment in facilities in the mainland USA.

Hi Wendy - Are you still living in Puerto Rico?  I called the number you had listed and left my phone number/email address.  Would love to speak with you about Dorado and your Puerto Rico experience.  Thank you.

Have you moved yet? I just got here. :)

Wendy,

I am interested in looking for an apartment or house in Dorado Beach.
Do you know a real estate agent who could help me with finding a place to rent until I decide if I want to buy?
I just tried your phone number, but it went to a recording saying the number was no longer in service. Are you stil on the island?

Michael Bannett

It looks like Wende isn't active on this forum anymore. Her last post was more than a year ago..

Thank you.  Are you in Puerto Rico and if so are you in Dorado Beach?

No, Gary is far removed from Dorado Beach. He lives in a spot in Puerto Rico where he breathes nothing but pure sweet mountain air. That same air cools his house in the summer time better than any air conditioner ever made. Life is slow where Gary lives. While he's laying and relaxing in his hammock the ripe mangoes fall from the tree and roll down right next to him. He has only to reach down and grab one. Then at night as he lays in bed the coqui melodically sing to him and he drifts of into a deep slumber. Then about 3am he's suddenly awakened by the sound of the local four track club racing around the country side and the kid down the road is just coming home for the night and he has reggaeton blasting at concert level volume. Then as things start to quiet down a couple of hours later and he once again starts to drift off to dreamland, all of the roosters for miles around start crowing. Time to get up Gary. The mangoes are waiting.

Hahahaha!

No four track club here, Gregg, it's nice and quiet in our little bario.
Too bad we have to get out of here every now and then to visit customers but it's always good to come back to our own paradise.

@Michael sorry I'm over an hour away from Dorado and I can't help you other than pasting some names & numbers that Wende posted:

Wende wrote:

Lisa Penfield.  She lives in Sabanera!
787 638 3333
--------------------
try calling Alma, who rents many properties.
508 740 4690

No clue if the above mentioned people are still in business and if they're any good but it's a starting point.

Hi, where do you find these groups of people?

I'm living in Dorado if you have any questions!

Hi!  I noted that you said you lived in Dorado and to send you any questions--Thank You.

I'm interested in finding a newcomers or other group of people that my fiancee and I can connect with here. We've lived in PR for a little over a year and just purchased a home in Dorado a couple of months ago.  Can you provide me with any information about this?

Also mentioned previously was a local library that offered classes.   I didn't even know there was a library here.  Can you point me to a URL or tell me where it is in town?

In addition, I'm wondering if there are any small business owners orgranizations, running clubs, websites of local events for Dorado?  I've found this site but I don't think there is much on here about Dorado:  mydestination.com/puertorico/events/73.

One more thing, we are not learning Spanish as quickly as we would like.   Does anyone know of any local Spanish conversation classes or tutors in the Dorado area?

Thanks for any input you all can provide!

Hi Esternke, 

I also live in Dorado. Sorry I'm unaware of any newcomer groups in Dorado.

But here is the link to the website of the library someone there may have information about Spanish classes: http://www.jsdcl.org/ The library is located close to the Downtown area on Calle Mendez Vigo.

This is the best that I have found for events in Dorado it is the Municipal Facebook page...its updated all the time and they post everything going on in Dorado there:  https://www.facebook.com/doradoparaisod … o/?fref=ts

Thank you, thank you!!   Eliz