Moving to kenya

we are considering moving to kenya.So i want to know the exact procedure to take my family with me.My company is planing to send me there for next 2 years. pls reply.

Hi pashagaik,

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

Pasha,

In case you are moving on employment here, your employer will arrange/will have to arrange a work-permit for you. You will have to fill up some forms for that which your prospective employer may provide.

Once a work-permit has been issued to you, your wife and children will be issued 'dependent passes'. The fees for dependent passes is lower as compared to that for work-permit.

Incidentally, it is illegal to work here without a valid work-permit. Work-permit is issued for two years only and may be renewed thereafter.

Hope that answers your query.

pashagaik wrote:

we are considering moving to kenya.So i want to know the exact procedure to take my family with me.My company is planing to send me there for next 2 years. pls reply.

Hi tuldha (or anyone else who knows about this)

Is it true that dependent passes are only issued to female spouses and not male? So say i were to move to Nairobi on the basis of my wife securing a job/business there would i be granted a dependent pass?

Thanks

Hello Webdever.

Welcome to Expat.com!

This post is dated 2011.

I invite you to start a new thread on the Nairobi forum and to ask your questions. :)

Thank you,
Aurélie

ok thanks Aurelie.

Hi Webdever, welcome to Expat.com.
Even for a time being if you dont get dependant pass for your family, get them here on tourist visa, which is valid for 3 month and while being here, apply for it. and as per the above comment from tuldha, visa / work permit is your company's responsibility.
Cheerzz

Thanks Rohit

The issue is that i would be the dependent as my wife already has a residency permit and i'm coming to discover that kenya immigration doesn't issue these passes to male spouses. My priority at the moment is finding employment that will come with  a permit to stay although this is very difficult indeed. Regardless i will look into the dependent pass issue on my next visit to Nairobi. My wife is currently going back and forth between the UK and kenya as she runs her business there and shuffles back to see me. Its a costly process!

Thanks all for the advise and info.

you will find lot of people here staying on tourist visa, once its about to expire they renew it regularly, you may also do it, by the time u dont get a job followed by work permit here.