Learning arabic in Riyad

Hello,

I'm moving to Riyad next summer and I would like to learn arabic. I would like to find a serious training, my goal being to be able to speak arabic when we'll come back to Europe in 4 years, and use it in my job.
Could any of you tell me where to go, being a europrean woman ?

Thank you !

Paquerette

Hi and welcome on board Paquerette!

Maybe you should post an advert in the classes section of Riyadh classifieds ;)
It might help!

Regards
Armand

don't worry paquerette. when you arrive in riyadh, you can find tutorials in speaking arabic.

hey welcome to the blog... just come over, u will learn it... its easy

WAMY are an NGO i think who offer free and excellent Arabic lessons. they dont require that you convert so rest easy, yep its an Islamic institute. you might find it an interesting experience.

Salman

Salman Omrani wrote:

WAMY are an NGO i think who offer free and excellent Arabic lessons. they dont require that you convert so rest easy, yep its an Islamic institute. you might find it an interesting experience.

Salman

Do they have any setup in Riyadh as well ? I couldnt find any local WAMY academy in weblink.

you can find a serious arabic training in the Multinational School at Al-Falah , Exit 7. they are very professional.

wamy exist in riyadh as well, but their website is in Arabic.

In Riyadh there is Purple Academy who teach Arabic, also King Saud Univiersity has courses in Arabic Language for non=-arabs.

i'd be glad to help you at the start , je comprend bien la francais ^^.
the arabic written language , is a little different from the spoken one , and it differs from a country to another, but u can still understand it, the first year i came , people didnt understand me and i didnt understand them :|
Anyway, if u want the arabic language so u can teach it , go ahead and try the universities, but if u want to speak the arabic for some reason , idk if it for a business partner or such , i recommend learning their spoken language.

bon chance

SaudiUK wrote:

In Riyadh there is Purple Academy who teach Arabic, also King Saud Univiersity has courses in Arabic Language for non=-arabs.

where is this Purple Academy?

there is something for ladies?

http://www.purpleacademy.com/

SaudiUK wrote:

I am afraid it's only for man.(

Here is no choice of language courses for women. I now just Daar Zikr. Where majority is the religion not the language.

DRose wrote:
SaudiUK wrote:

I am afraid it's only for man.(

Here is no choice of language courses for women. I now just Daar Zikr. Where majority is the religion not the language.

Daar Al Zikr is religious focused. But has good creditionals

However Purple Academy do have ladies courses. Please contact them.

hey
you will find good courses by Ascent, they organize them at Multinational school.

Hi Paquerette :)

I see this is your criteria:

1) Learn Arabic: Spoken over written.

2) Serious training.

Truth: Arabic is a complex language yet easy (a paradox, my view not popular though).

It's considered one of the most difficult languages around if not the most difficult, Chinese being #1.

Truth: To get serious training then you have to find someone who is not only proficient/fluent in Arabic but in English too so he/she can communicate with you with precision.

Truth: As far as I know there's no such level in Saudi. There's going to be a lack in either English or Arabic!

Good news though since your French, you are almost there.

French is strangely very similar to Arabic, consider this: French gave the word frank/ to be frank which means to be clear and Arabic means the same thing.

There are lots of French words that mean and sound the same as in Arabic! in fact I only came to undestand the true meaning of Al-Basmalah from French!

Grammar is similar too, where the perspective languages put an emphasis on gender (feminine/masculine).

Finally, both languages speakers talk fast maybe not as fast as French though lol   

Written Arabic is actually not difficult.

I am able to say all this with confidence, because I teach (privately) Arabic/English with amazing results.

I once taught one guy the Arabic written system in 1 week and spoken Arabic in about 3 months (intensive course).

I am actually, currently, building a website to teach Arabic using my methods.

I would be able to teach you Arabic in the best and fastest possible way :)

Feel free to contact me about this possibility.

Good luck :)

ITpro wrote:

Hi Paquerette :)

I see this is your criteria:

1) Learn Arabic: Spoken over written.

2) Serious training.

Truth: Arabic is a complex language yet easy (a paradox, my view not popular though).

It's considered one of the most difficult languages around if not the most difficult, Chinese being #1.

Truth: To get serious training then you have to find someone who is not only proficient/fluent in Arabic but in English too so he/she can communicate with you with precision.

Truth: As far as I know there's no such level in Saudi. There's going to be a lack in either English or Arabic!

Good news though since your French, you are almost there.

French is strangely very similar to Arabic, consider this: French gave the word frank/ to be frank which means to be clear and Arabic means the same thing.

There are lots of French words that mean and sound the same as in Arabic! in fact I only came to undestand the true meaning of Al-Basmalah from French!

Grammar is similar too, where the perspective languages put an emphasis on gender (feminine/masculine).

Finally, both languages speakers talk fast maybe not as fast as French though lol   

Written Arabic is actually not difficult.

I am able to say all this with confidence, because I teach (privately) Arabic/English with amazing results.

I once taught one guy the Arabic written system in 1 week and spoken Arabic in about 3 months (intensive course).

I am actually, currently, building a website to teach Arabic using my methods.

I would be able to teach you Arabic in the best and fastest possible way :)

Feel free to contact me about this possibility.

Good luck :)

how about u and me give her a training , maybe start a small school :P

Salam Paquerette!

I can help you learn Arabic.

You can see my ad in this website as follows:

"I can handle any level of Arabic. I have techniques that make progressing steps easier for learners. I have a Modern Standard Arabic course for beginners. I also have a Syrian dialect course. I've studied Comparative Linguistics between Arabic and English so I know how to match Arabic with English to facilitate the learning process for learners.

I have been teaching Arabic since 2003. I have experience in teaching Arabic at any level whether standard, formal, or colloquial. In Syria and here in Saudi I've taught people with different ages. I believe I have something to give. I have a talent for conveying ideas to learners. And the most important thing is: I love Arabic and I enjoy teaching it and sharing it with others.

I have spent four years in Syria and another four years in Saudi teaching Arabic to non-Arabs. I've taught people from all around the world, people from age 18 to 68. I've taught beginners starting with the alphabet, and I've taught people with a high level of Arabic - those who spent years in Arab countries- and I explained old poetry and current political articles, and all levels between that.

SR 100 per hour

Please contact Amin

Phone number +966 (0) 530604695"

I'm and Arabic/English translation graduate and I have got the TOEFL.

being French, Italian, or Spanish make learning Arabic easier. as the Arabic grammer have some similarities with those Latin-origined langauges.

some western females think it's wierd to study with an Arab males while in Saudi as they think guys are not trusted, but if you feel this way, then you can make the lesson somewhere you feel safe or with the presence of someone you know and trust. or you better be too cautious like many others and look for a private female teacher instead or some female Achademy.

As an expateriate comeing to Saudi, you should realize that the female soceity is isolated from the male soceity.

Anyway, i know some french male friend, David Lawrence, who works in the french embassy in Riyadh. I can intreduce you to each other and he can help you adapt to living in Saudi.

you can call me if you think i can be of a help.

Amin (Abou Bicyclette)

[Moderated: please post in the classifieds]

Thank you for your reply, but I have already found one.

Regards

well, paquerette, wudnt it be nice u shared the info? u might know, sharing is caring

For others who may be interested in a course for learning Arabic, visit the
Ascent website.

I am currently attending an evening class learning Arabic through them, based at the Riyadh Mult-national school.  I understand they are happy to teach at alternative locations for committed students.

The classes are mixed gender and mixed ethnicities taught by native Arabic speakers following a formal curriculum.  They teach modern and Saudi Arabic.

To date I'm quite happy with their classes.
Give Yasmin a call 0551914554

Cheers

is she ok to take calls from males? just trying to be culturally sensitive and also considering you have posted her number on a public fourm

Yes, she is fine taking calls from males.  The number is also advertised on the Ascent website - it's the business number.

I am  a native Arabic Tutor.

To know more about me and my classes and course outline
Contact me:- 0569469760

Paquerette,

Glad to know that you found what you are looking for ...?

Like our friend said sharing is caring :) and It'll be nice knowing what you fond and how you found it was your best bet? (Are you in KSA now?)

I see some (or many?) prefer schools (more accurately Arabic classes in a formal establishment) ...

Nothing is wrong with that of course :) many times it might even fit the bill and you might even have time for it

However, personally I believe expats need to learn (Arabic) as fast as possible and get on with their daily life :)

I am not sure how a formal curriculum fits in that picture?

It sounds to me it's a long process for no good reason ... as nzpounamu
says "To date", how long was/is that?

I got teaching Arabic (for real) down to only 3 months!(1 week or less for writing and reading Arabic)

I am not a school, so it's not really in my interest to keep you coming back :) I'll put you in a level where the sky is the limit after that.

Most importantly I'll teach you how to teach yourself!(might not be a "good business practice" but as you see it's not really a business interest to me)

Seeing from my profile you'll know that teaching is not really my main thing as I am an IT expert (pro) :), so I am doing it (selectively) because I love doing it.

I guess it just reflects what I do in IT, creating simple or elegant solutions to complex problems :) and communicating those solutions

Hi Leedslad :) I guess you are in KSA now! Hope you are having good time so far

Ya if you (or anyone else for this matter, limited number though) like trying out my methods in learning Arabic just pm me

Actually, I am going to write up an article about this because Arabic is poorly represented and taught. Just consider this fact: most Arab themselves are poor at their own language! and that's because it's poorly taught at their own schools (anyone can tell you that).

P.S. "Modern Arabic" or "Saudi Arabic" is wrong and based on misconceptions. Arabic is Arabic, old or new here or there. The main difference between of all the different Arabic countries is mainly in the accent/slang (and some words).

hmmm, ITpro, almost reads like an advert for your services.  As you have correctly said, information shared is good and useful.  However, you could also advertise your services as an 'Arabic tutor' the best place for that should be in the classified section of this Expat.com site.  I am constantly receiving private messages from people teaching Arabic from this site and I do not think that is appropriate, it should be in the classifed section otherwise we get junked on selling posts which is not my understanding of the purpose of this site.  I was 'interested' in your interpretation of 'modern' Arabic and 'Saudi' Arabic' as I am sure others will be!  Me for one will be trying out the Ascent Training School.  I have already met with them and had great feedback about them from a range of people including NZ from this post; I guess the judgement on effectiveness stays with the recommendations, doesn't it :unsure

Hi gowiththeflowUK :)

Well, if you read my replies carefully it's actually not an advert!

It's an offer and alternative. I haven't even set a fixed price as money is not my motivation here in the 1st place.

I don't really want to advertise for such thing because:

1) This is not really a business service that I am consistently engaging in, it's a very selective offer.
    What you have here is a computer scientist teaching you Arabic! :) because I love doing it and my methods succeeded before.
    Where are you going to find such an offer! I only got interested in offering this here (by the way only in replies to people who already asked for help in this) because clearly this is an area of expats life that needs addressing seriously and I am always glad to be of help.

2) It should be clear that all Arabic tutoring advertisements here are business services for mainly gaining $ and they are even sending private messages!
    I am %100 sure that they are all subpar. Naturally, they allocate %100 of their time to this. By advertising I will only cheapen my special offer and anyways I don't have %100 of my time allocated to this!

3) What I am doing right now is actually creating the ultimate online Arabic language program from my methods and end this shortage for once and for all :)

Recommendations ..., I guess you are right somehow.

However, I don't get how will someone just starting to learn the language judge the effectiveness of the program?

It's like when listening to symphonies, most people will not catch the mistakes made by the musicians (believe me there are mistakes always).

Only an expert musician will catch them and that will make all the difference.

I will really appreciate it if you guys give details about this ascent program, you say great feedback but in what area? What's their program structure like?, time frame, & prices etc.

It's one thing being a nice teacher and being an effective and nice one.

Honestly, I will be shocked if there is actually a good program here in Saudi! I can tell you all the reasons why it's like this but that will be too long.

When I am done with #3 up there, I wouldn't even be saying all this I would've just say go to the website.   

With me there will be more effort from your side than from mine, but all will lead to learning Arabic in the shortest possible time.

It's akin to getting taught in art by Pablo Picasso :)
(just an analogy) 

By the way it's not an "interpretation" it's just the fact! and there are reasons why all those misconception are common place but anyways I am going to write up a post about all of this (Arabic language) and put many things to rest once and for all :)

It's going to be long for sure lol I hope that it will be considered a positive addition to the expat-blog and helpful instead of being something else.

I hope all my replies so far are considered as such otherwise I won't "waste" my time doing it.

Matter of fact, there are only like 3 website that I participate in (engaged in as a user) and expat-blog is one of them.

In the end you can go with the flow gowiththeflowUK :) or anyone else for that matter but at least know that there is a genuine alternative if you really want to learn Arabic for real.

Like you said, this might sound like an advert but not because it's one but because I defend what I know is true so strongly it just sounds like one.

Hope this cleared things up :)

ITpro, it is not for any justification, as I said "each to their own" and if you were offering services, then you would maximise your opportunities in the classified section.  Whether you charge for this or not is up to you - I was not judging you!  Also, if you have an alternative method of teaching, then GREAT!  Anyone interested can be the judge.  However, what you cannot take away here is the option of choice!  That was my point and it does not require anything other than expression.  So thanks for your explanation, but none was required :)

Good Day
I would like to learn a third language and french is one of the languages that i want to learn
If you want to what we can do is an exchange language between you and me
where we can meet two or three times a day for at least two hours because time runs fast these days

If you are interested Pleas contact me ASAP

Regards Sultan

@ Kingdom Compound there Arabic lessons per SAR 90  per 2 hours,every week for  Beginners. please let me know where did you find the course and is it expensive??, also I want to learn the Arabic
Maria

hello
you are welcome , i can support you when you come to KSA -riyadh .
i will support you to know arabic and support me to know some of your language ... LooooL
just when you come inform me .
CU

@ Expat.com Folks!
Very informative thread...Keep it Up...

Hello IT-Pro,

in case your offer to teach arabic is still valid, I am intersted. Thanks, max

nzpounamu wrote:

For others who may be interested in a course for learning Arabic, visit the
Ascent website.

I am currently attending an evening class learning Arabic through them, based at the Riyadh Mult-national school.  I understand they are happy to teach at alternative locations for committed students.

The classes are mixed gender and mixed ethnicities taught by native Arabic speakers following a formal curriculum.  They teach modern and Saudi Arabic.

To date I'm quite happy with their classes.
Give Yasmin a call 0551914554

Cheers

I cant get thru to these ppl.
Are they still on?

Hi maxxbr,

Welcome to Expat-blog :).

This thread is dated 2011.I suggest you to start a new thread on the Riyadh forum with maybe a small introduction.

Thank you

-------------------------------------------

Hi sh3hryar,

Just like I mentioned to Maxxbr, you should consider to create a new topic as the thread is dated 2011 :).

Thank you

Maximilien
Expat-blog Team.

If it is serving the purpose why do you want to have a duplicate thread.I think, with duplication, it might end up with confused readers.

Hello qamran_mushtaq -> By creating a new thread, this will allow more visibility on the Riyadh forum. As Maximilien said, this thread is old. Better start a new one. ;)

Thank you,
Aurélie

King Saud University has an Arabic language institute. This is their website: http://ali.ksu.edu.sa/home

[Moderated: No free ad on the forum. Please feel free to Register in the Language institutions in Riyadh Directory.]