Best area for an expat family to live???

Hello All,
So my visit to Malta is fast approaching - 6 days woo hoo. Anyway we have a few things organised but would like to ask you all if there is a better area for an expat family so we can go there to check it out?
Many Thanks in advance, just want to make the most of this trip so we can get moving, bored in Spain now :) xx

It really depends what you want - a lot of expat Familes (with kids) seem to live in Mellieha and Attard and maybe to a lesser extent Ta'l-Ibragg. A lot of couples tend to live in Sliema or the livelier areas like St. Julians.

Do you want central, lively, relaxing, amenities, views?

Tim

All of the above please ha ha. We donŽt want it too lively but with something going on. My husband will be working in Birkirkara so quite close to there. I like to shop and it seems most of that side of things is in Sliema x

You need to focus on schooling I think, as you can travel anywhere if you are working.

However your kids can either go to private or the ONLY the schools in their little village. So if you pick a place which is great etc and the schools are **** then you're in a sticky situation

Thanks, WeŽve just got back from Malta and I must admit I didnŽt realise quite how busy the Sliema area would be so this is not our first choice now. We are still going ahead with the move but we are going to choose a bit more carefully with the area. As our daughter is only 16 months we are going to take out a 6 month let somewhere to give us time to look round the island and choose schools etc xxx

Hi Lindsey, we also have just come back from Malta and we to went by schools not area.We have secured a place in Qawra and having spent some time there are also of the opinion that although we like the area ,once there you get a better chance to look around for what you want

hope this helps
Bev x

Thankyou, I wish weŽd had more time so we could get to look further north on the island. Plenty of time for that. Find out the month we can move over on monday all depends on my hubbies work transfer xx

Hi Lindsay glad you liked Malta - you should try Mellieha its a lovely very child friendly and safe village to live in - we have been here three years having moved to malta in 2008 with three suitcases and a one way ticket.

Wow, that was so brave of you. WeŽre currently in Barcelona so I know a bit about being an expat now, looking forward to trying somewhere else. Somebody else suggested Mellieha to me. We are going to stick with the busier st Julian's area for 6 months during which we will visit all the towns and villages and get a  better feel for the island and then make a decision after that. I've been used to the hustle and bustle of a city like Barcelona so worried that if we go somewhere to laid back to begin with itŽll just be too quiet for us x

yes i understand completely - we didnt want the hustle and bustle of the busier places such as st julians, paceville etc didnt like bugibba qawra and st pauls to much like dog poo alley....for us anyway (only our opinion)......Mellieha is quieter and safer and not as busy - but you do have a point.....Mellieha seemed like a good halfway point between the "laid back malta" and the "dont bother getting up" of gozo ...and we made the right choice for us

Hi, Sliema is convenient but noisy . I live there
Personal recommendation is to stick to this side of the island somewhere central but still close to everywhere.
I think the most beautiful and practical place to live in Gharghur . It's like Gozo but so close to everywhere. And it's safe and great for kids and very close to B'kara too.I would move there tomorrow but the wife  just won't leave  Sliema!

Another leaving Spain and Barcelona to boot (in my opinion, the best area of Spain!)... we came over from the Murcia area end of last year and some friends came from the Alicante area in February. All very happy to have made the move so far :)

We are currently based in Sliema which has been great so far (but the noisy summer months to come) whilst our friends settled upon the quieter Attard area (and seem to like it there)

I have to say that in many ways it is easier here than Spain but unfortunately, there remains the med love of red tape!!! but at least it is mostly understandable here!

Good Luck in the move

Mike

Barcelona is a beautiful place, with fab restaurants, culture etc but there is something slightly seedy about the place and I find people very rude and IŽm one of those scaredy cat people that say sorry when I havenŽt done anything wrong!!! Malta may not be the place that feels like home either but we can only try. IŽm not rose tinted and know everywhere has there faults but there does seem to be more UK families in Malta and I've spent the last year and a half struggling to meet people here as all the mum and toddler groups seem to be closing because of either lack of interest or just not enough people to sustain it. Sad really and it can be lonely (thankgod for the internet). I just hope we can make friends and find more for our daughter there :) IŽm keeping an open mind and doing the same as what I have done here and giving it a year and then make a decision after that xxx

Very wise move to have an open mind (in my opinion!) We spent nearly 8 years in Spain and noticed a steep decline in the affections of the Spanish to us ex-pats over that period ... basically in line with the reduction of monies we introduced into thde system! Certainly I will not say Malta is perfect, far from it in fact but it is different and the majority of people are so much friendlier! Strange, but when I go back to Brighton now (still have a place there) it is the UK that feels a stranger now so I'm really no longer sure where to fit in! ...

It is in my opinion always best to come here with an open mind as it is very true what they say about Malta...you will either love it or hate it......there is no middle ground here. If you accept it  and its people for what it is and what they are and embrace all that the island and its people can offer then you will be fine...its old quaint quirky and interesting and oh so different to the UK in hundreds of ways - some good some bad but hey life is one big adventure and not for very long - so enjoy it all while you can.

We have lived here for three years and love it (despite a bad holiday here a year earlier).....we gave it a second chance and so glad we did...its all about location location location...I feel the same about going back to the Uk, would hate to go back!  - in fact we went to sicily on a short break recently and couldnt wait to get back to Malta - methinks i have settled well as i felt homesick for My Mellieha.

I think we will do 2-3 years and we are out.

ToonArmy is right there are up's and downs, It's up to you to determine which one outweighs the other.  For us it's so close to 50/50 we will move on in just a couple years unless something increadable happens in the meantime.

Chad

I'd retire here - but working and raising a family here (like we're trying to do) has lots of pitfalls. Sometimes an open mind will only take you so far.

Tim

theres probably only two things that will make me ship out...

1.....if Malta pull out of the EU
or
2.....if UK pull out of the EU

but going back to keeping an open mind - its probably best even for shipping out of Malta too......as you never know what life throws at you and its best to be flexible. If Turkey were to get into the EU we may consider going there as we loved it there (we found a lovely little fishing village - very turkish and very few english  tourists) on holiday but it is always different to living...

We looked into Mellieha when we were coming here but with a family found it to be a little too isolated with regard kids social activities and meeting up with friends.

We finally settled in Attard, which works well for us.  There is a good and regular bus service into Valletta and other places, nothing is difficult to get to and it is also not too busy.  Sliema/St Julians is just too busy for us.  I feel like we have the best of both worlds.

Happy searching.
x:)

I agree with Lucyanya on your requirements for your family and Attard would appear to be ideal for your requirements. We chose Mellieha as we wanted to live near the sea and range of beaches and did not want to live inland. As an older couple without young children we preferred this village over all the others the ex-pat community is good for meeting up but not as much as the maltese community who seem to have taken us on board quite well - and that for us is fabulous. We too think we have the best of both. The current bus service is ok here we can get to Sliema and Valletta easily although we do have a car we never see it as our son(22) is here with us too working n Sliema but the bus service doesnt run long enough to cover both going to and returning from work - as he does shifts - so we never see out car.......sacrifices eh LOL.....

Everyone to their own really - it really does just boil down to identifying exactly what you want out of your life here in gorgeous Malta...we got we want and hope that everyone else has that too...its a great palce to live....we love it.

I think weŽll just take our time to look round the island, weŽre coming from a very busy place so IŽm used to hoards of tourists so we will go to the Sliema/St Julians area first and see how we go. As my daughter is still at home with me itŽll be handy having all the shops etc on our doorstep without having to get on buses etc. We may find it too crazy but we can always move if this is the case. Hopefully we should have some dates soon but its looking like September time for the move so itŽll give us time to investigate the island over the winter period when its slightly more quiet. I found the people in Malta incredibly welcoming and when we told them of our plans to move over they couldn't have been more helpful with suggestions. Is there any mums and children that meet up in the Sliema area, would love to hear from you :) x

Hello everyone
We are considering going whole family to Malta, my husband and I work online so our priority is to find a place where our children are most comfortable possible.
Our little ones have 1 and 4 years, and are very sociable, love to play on sites with many children.
Please indicate me which city or cities of Malta have parks where children gather together to play or what is the more familiar city of Malta.
Thanks a lot.

to be honest in all my time here I rarely see children playing in parks or even in the streets...... except maybe on sundays when its treated as the family day then the beaches and family parks get busy..... 

despite that it is a safe place for children.

Here in Sliema there are a lot of children playing in the Qui Si Sana park. Dunno about other places tho.

What a surprise! In Spain it is very normal that children go to the Park to play after school.
Michael, in the park that you mention, gather every day or only on weekends?
On the other hand, which city have more amenities (parks, swings, etc.) for the children?
Thank you very much for everything.

Hi,

Have you been to Malta before?

No, we have not been. Why?

Your reference to cities, they are small villages, with a couple of bigger towns. The island is only 14 miles long!
It would be very unwise to move your family, start your children in school, without any clue of what the country is like. Of course there are parks and places for children to play, every village will have a park of sorts. Are you planning on just letting your children play at a park all day, it's too hot in summer and that's 4 months of the year.

I'm calmer, I was beginning to think that you meant to worse things...
We want to move and we are studing several countries, but our favourite country is Malta because we are also Mediterranean and we share climate.
We plan to travel to finalist countries, but before we are collecting information about if it will cover our needs.
On the other hand, we already know that Malta is not very big, I call them cities so no one would be offended.
Then, of all villages, what you consider more comfortable to live with children?
Thank you very much.

Do you "only" want to live here with your children or do you also think about working here?
This is important, since the perfect place for foreigners to live near the work place (i.e. busy centers like Sliema, St. Julians etc.) is often much different to the perfect place to live here with your family :/ ... but everyone have other reqirements ;)

btw, here in Marsaskala the new children playground is everyday crowded, in summer they come after sunset :cool: and the Family park should be soon opend again (after a political motivated temporary shut down :rolleyes:)

This is it, the question does not give enough info. Ok, so you work at home, do you want to be near water, near big shops, in a quieter, peaceful village. Will you drive or rely on oublic transport? Will you want private schooling or government? So many other questions to be asked.
How would you answer what is the best town in Spain to live with kids?

Sorry, maybe that it has not been very clear to our needs. But the most important thing is our children, we can go solving the rest.
I just wanted to know the names of some villages that have amenities for children because we will go to make a first visit of a few days, and we would like to bring us a real impression of what there is.

For me, I would say Bugibba, if it's things for the kids. There is a McDonalds, with outside play area. There are places for children to play football, there is the sea of course! In the summer months, the evenings will open up to bumper cars, train rides, sit on rides and sumo suits and bouncy castles. There is a mini golf putting green. For free, there is the water park, with different water jets coming out of the ground (no pool.)
There are some small parks, not great but improving. There are picnic areas too.
On the down side, the place is for tourists, so lots of bars etc. there are quite areas but summer will be busy. Shops, although there are supermarkets, are limited to tourist shops, it's not great for kids clothes, unless you fancy them in Maltese lace!!
The place looks scruffy, rubbish on the floors but then so has most of Malta!
Tends to be a cheaper area for rents/food.

Thank you to everyone!! On our visit, among other places, we will visit Marsaskala, Sliema and Bugibba.

basicly if you'll visit sliema that means that on one side you'll also visit st. julians and other side gzira as all 3 towns are basicly one big town and with crossing a street you go from one to another LOL

to me, people with children recommended Swieqi, as a residental area with good schools and 3 children parks
unfortunately, didnt manage to find place there so I'm in gzira now, but as my family is still not here, cant tell you is it good for kids or not couse they havent tested it :D

I would suggest to choose the school for children first. And then choose the place to live in a walking distance - it helps you a lot, believe me.

The only new primary school in the island is in Pembroke. There is a new beautiful playground in Pembroke as well.

Oh! Thanks a lot!
It is very useful information! I will also add Swieqi and Pembroke to my list.
It seems to me that if it is not in a village or another, but at the end we will move to Malta.
Thank you so much to everyone!!

Hi Can i ask how long it takes by bus to reach valleta and silema by bus? we are relocating in a few months and seriously looking at mellihia too,

Kind regards

Laura

if in mellieha it will take approx 45-60mins to get to sliema at peak times.... and valletta from mellieha can be well over an hour upto 90 mins.... much depends on which bus you take (or should i say catch (or ABLE TO GET ON)

Ha ha thank you kindly we havea few areas to look at this being one, so just seeing how long journeys take, thank you