Changing US state of residency

Hello all,

I was wondering what would be involved in changing my state of residency from California to a no income tax state like Texas or Washington.

Craig

Hi Craig!

Your message has been moved to the USA forum for better visibility.

Regards
Armand

expatcraig wrote:

Hello all,

I was wondering what would be involved in changing my state of residency from California to a no income tax state like Texas or Washington.

Craig

You would have to prove you live there, like having a residential address, get a driver's license or some other form of picture ID.  California will not believe you live in Washington if you still work in California.  Many states insist you live there if you still have a house there, even if you buy a second home and actually live out of state.

You require a physical address and file federal income tax using that address.

The process is rather informal, however in order to become a resident of a state and obtain benefits there is usually a 24 month waiting period. During this period you file for unemployment in your old state, pay non-resident tuition if applicable, etc. Basically it isn't instantaneous.

A drivers license will satisfy one of the documentation requirements but you will need a physical address in the state. (NOT A PO BOX)

Closed