Indian - Looking to relocate to Santiago

Hi All,

I am from India and have a potential job opportunity in Santiago, Chile.

I have a few queries and I shall appreciate response to any of them asap:

1. I am married and my wife will be accompanying me, although she will not be working in Chile. She will be a dependent. Considering this, how much cost of living should I be looking at for an above average lifestyle. (In short, I will be making about 1,150,000 CLP a month. Is that good enough for two of us?)

2. How are Indians treated there? Is there some sort of an unacceptance towards people from the Asian continent?

3. How about crime/safety. How safe is it if me and my wife travel by a public transport system, say, to a night club, a little late in the night?

4. Is there any reluctance from the locals to rent apartments to Indians?

Any help in this regard will be highly appreciated.
Hope to hear from you all soon

Cheers!
RR

Hi and welcome to the forum rohitrao!

I hope other members will help you with some advices soon ;)

Regards
Armand

Hi RR,

I've been living in CL for the last 3.5 years now, and I have some people from India in my company leaving in Santiago, so I guess I can be some help for you. Let's see:

1. It is more than enough, you can rent an apartment in a nice neighborhood. 200,000 to 300,000 for the rent.

2. You will not have any kind of problem related to that. People from India, Asia, all people actually are treated just fine, equally. Problem though, will be English, which is not widely spoken over here. How are your Spanish lessons going ;-P

3. Santiago is a very safe city. Of course, you will have to avoid some neighborhoods as in any city, even in the US... Or some neighborhoods during night which are safe during the day. But apart from that, you can safely move as in any safe occidental city, meaning... do not get out of the back counting and showing your money on the street!! Not sure if you can do that in India anyways, but just in case :D

4. No, nothing about that, but again... all ads will be in Spanish and 95% of the people renting apartments can only understand Spanish. Apart from that you will need the same papers we all have to present here. You'll get them if you have a job.

Let me know any other thing.
Take care, Adam.

h

Hi, Rohit, this is Shanu.  Nice to meet you and i am from Hyderabad only.  Very glad to know a Indian here :)

Best regards,
Shanu

Hi Rohitrao!, there are some responses!

1. I am married and my wife will be accompanying me, although she will not be working in Chile. She will be a dependent. Considering this, how much cost of living should I be looking at for an above average lifestyle. (In short, I will be making about 1,150,000 CLP a month. Is that good enough for two of us?)

1.150.000 it's a quick good for two persons, you must considerer rent an appartment i recommend 'Providencia' is near from Downtown (between 200.000 and 300.000 water, electricity, gas, internet, etc!.), taxis are cheaper too you can go like 25-35 minutes for 5.000 CLP (10 dolars), subway it's crowd between 7 and 8 in morning and 18 and 19 in afternoon.. but its cheap 600 CLP ticket. 1.2 Dolar, you can go to a restaurant between 2.200 and 3.500 CLP. (4.6 Dolars and 7.4), but i recommend cock in your home it's quite chepear.

2. How are Indians treated there? Is there some sort of an unacceptance towards people from the Asian continent?

In The last 5 years i haved check more indians in Chile, they are IT's!... there are a big company is call TATA is indian, nobody will trated bad, perhaps the people will see you only for look the color of your skin, because is interesting for us!, chilean are very nice if you are nice.

3. How about crime/safety. How safe is it if me and my wife travel by a public transport system, say, to a night club, a little late in the night?
Depends of the place where you live, i recommend Providencia and Las Condes, it's quite safe for live, fun and have a gob.

4. Is there any reluctance from the locals to rent apartments to Indians?
I think not... but i recommend check this site, there are good advices :
- Departments in Providencia ->http://www.elrastro.cl/resultado.html?q … &Opta=&t=3
- Departments in Santiago Downtown (cheap than Providencia) ->http://www.elrastro.cl/resultado.html?q … &Opta=&t=3

Hi,

I am from vizag. I also got job in chile. hoping to move . can you share your experiences there.

thanks in advance.
hoping to hear from you

Hello everyone,

@ Uday_varma, this thread has been inactive since long  :) I suggest you create a new thread on the Chile forum and give a brief introduction about yourself so that members revert back.

All the best,
Bhavna