Dental Tourism to Mexico

Dental Tourism is indeed gaining popularity along the US-mexican border as well as to Mexico in general - Booming border cities with a unique advantage on the Mexican side: Medical Costs are way cheaper in Mexico compared to U.S. costs. Therefore U.S.-Americans travel just over the border to see a doctor or buy pharmaceuticals. But, some people may be apprehensive for various reasons about seeing a dentist in Mexico. Why is that? And on the other hand, what are the push- and pull-factors that make patients cross the border and receive dental treatment in Mexico? Each need of the patient has to be met, but what are those? “Mexican Dentists are not held to the same standards as in the U.S.”, but is that really true?

My name is Katja Schnee. I recently research on Medical Tourism to Mexico and especially concentrate on Dental Tourism. I am a graduate student presently writing my diploma thesis at the University of Trier, Germany.

I would like to ask U.S.-American patients on their last dental visits across the border in Mexico. A lot of online blogs and articles tell me that there is a huge forum for discussion and many left open questions. The answers are only used for statistical purposes and the information won't be shared, sold or distributed to any third parties.

If you have visited Mexico for dental treatment before, I would be very grateful if you could share your opinions by taking about 10 minutes to fill out the following questionnaire. The data will be kept strictly confidential and your anonymity will be guaranteed. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions or concerns. Your answers are very important for my work and are only used for statistical purposes. Start by clicking on the following link or by copying and pasting it in your browser:

http://www.unipark.de/uc/dentaltourismpatients/

Share your opinion about dental treatments you already experienced in Mexico through my survey.

Thank you for your participation in advance.

Katja Schnee ([email protected])

That dental survey post is rather out of date but here is up to date news on dentistry in Tijuana. 

It seem to be  better to go to a dentist who is NOT right at the border from my observations and those of friends.  But that of course is a matter of opinion.  If you would go to a cut rate dental clinic in the USA to save $. These border based dentists are very similar. I have heard this  about dentists located  at the border in other border towns.                                                                                                                           

Best dentist in TIjuana    Raul Mendila DDS
002-52-664 634 0933   In the Zone  Rio Area (think of it as TIjuana's Beverly Hills) near the intersection of Plaza Fiesta and Paseo dos Heroes.......across from the Cultural Center.

9415-B  (upstairs)

I did not go to a dentist in Mexico for the first three years I lived in Playas.
When I finally had to go for emergency bridge work, I was very apprehensive.   Not to worry.  His actual office is on a par with my dentist" in Newport Beach, California. The waiting room is not as posh but pleasant though  smaller.  But his prices are sooooooo much lower.
Full set of xrays, deep cleaning (it had been three years) $50.  He was able to save my bridge. Replacement would have been just $800.  Bridge had cost $4600 in Newport Beach, just five years earlier.  I had telephoned my dentist in Newport Beach  when my bridge problem came up and he
(without seeing me) said it was obvious that  I would need a new one.
This was the final motivating factor that  sent me on my first initial visit to  Dr. Mendila.   His attitude was "let's see if we can save it!"  And he did.   I did not have to get a new one.  His bill for his work on my bridge was $50 after I had a root canal.                 

His colleague did a root canal for me in 35 minutes which was pain free.  She followed her progress on a  "monitor" which showed her exactly where she was in my mouth and what she was doing.  PAIN FREE and $180 in 2010. It was my 11th root canal and the best ever done for me.   

I have a very low threshold for pain especially with dentistry.  I have had NO pain at any visit.  (In California I needed pain medication even  for cleanings!!!!!!!!!!!!! which are torture with out that). Dr. Mendila did the cleaning himself.

Dr. Mendila
is located about a $10 (USD) taxi ride from the border crossing with a Taxi Libre (Yellow Cab will rip you off)  011-52-1-664 228 1111 to arrange for  a Taxi Libre with an English speaking driver to meet you at the border crossing. Dr Mendila  speaks excellent English, his office staff not so much but no worries it won't be a problem. HE is very accommodating to US patrons in scheduling and possible delays etc.

I would recommend him highly. In fact I can't  recommend him enough !   The hour long  trolley rid  from San Diego is just 2 dollars  ( It is  a short bus or taxi  ride from the airport to a trolley stop)..  The trolley stops at the train station.

Speaking as someone who has been  highly dental- phobic my entire my life and as someone who is  allergic to many dental medications........and definitely allergic to PAIN (LOL)  Dr. Mendila is my dentist for life!.