Internet connections around the Globe

Tell me, how's yours?

Here in Hungary (in our remote rural area) we have a 56K dial-up modem (yes, they still exist) and the newest addition is a mobile connection. Fairly decent. I can, since two months, even use it IN the house (right at the window though, nowhere else).
It just sometimes - like TODAY - is more than slow and breaks up. It has that about once a week, sigh.

In Korea we had a great Broadband, loved it. We could even set up a router and work with two Laptops.
Just never let them guys from the company "install" that connection on your computer.
I tried to explain to hubby, the first time we were there, that there's no need for that. Did he listen? No.
Half a year later we needed a new computer, because of attacks on our system. They sell the IP address to hackers and students down there love to hack, especially in American computers.
We never had problems again, but others did. Morons ;)

In Kuwait I had an aircard, which worked fine, hubby dealt with a broadband that was shared with the whole apartment complex it seemed and e had more than once some serious trouble.
The engineering in Kuwait is, uhm, always interesting ;)

What are your experiences?

I've got ADSL in Mauritius, doesn't work 100% of the time, but it's ok. 512Mo costs around 40 euros per month.

I pay around 40 Euro too, but they have had 4 months of half the prize in the 6 months that I'm with them. Fine with me.
We will try to get hubby one, whenever he comes back from his next assignment (whenever and wherever that will be ;)

Hubby has 40 hours free & everything over that costs you an arm and a leg... :(

We had dial-up until a year ago.
Although DSL and cable is widely available here in Puerto Rico, it still didn't make it to our little neighborhood up in the mountains.

Since a year we have mobile broadband via our cell phone provider. Speeds up to 150KB/s (download) and 10KB/s(upload).
I bought a special router in which I can plug the PC card, so we can share the connection.

The price ain't too bad: $60/month (flat rate). The good news is I can plug the card in my laptop and wherever I have cell phone reception I have internet, not only here on the island but also all over the mainland USA.

That sounds good.
Similar to the mobile card I am using right now.
We will have to try the router, that might be a good idea for hubby instead of his weird dial-up connection.

Talk to your mobile provider before you buy a router.
The one I have is a special version for my provider. The same router is available for other providers as well.
Here's how it looks:

http://i34.tinypic.com/qotzdt.jpg

The PC card plugs in the router. You can connect 4 computers wired and something like four more wireless.

They (Linksys) now also offer a version of this router for the USB aircards/wireless broadband modems.

That's similar to what I've seen in the shop.
But hubby doesn't wanna try it.
I guess we will get him his own card some time next year. Whatever ;)
Not that expensive anyway.

Thanks though for showing!

I'm from Ukraine, Poltava. Now it's possible to have 8 Mbit (download) and 1 Mbit (upload) ADSL Internet line there for $80 per month. 3 years ago we haven't even 512 Kbps lines. :mad:

$80 is quite expensive, but if it's worth it, it would be fine with me too.

Hi

I live in very rural Galicia Spain. I'm lucky as I have a landline and I'm just in reach of ADSL.

I have 6Mb / 512KB and use two routers. One off the shelf for Spanish ADSL and wireless and one D-Link wireless as it has more reach.

I one run open and from it the D-Link is connected giving encrypted.

Works well as whoever visits can use the open and our systems are on the other.

Martin

PS forgot official telefonica here is 40 Euros / month includes all national calls

Hi

I am from Hong Kong and currently work for China mainly in Canton Province.
Wireless internet is so popular in Hong Kong and broadbands
are the main ones from the local service providers.
It costs around Euro 25-30/month.
While in China, ADSL is picking up very fast and we pay around
RMB120/month (Euro 15/month) but the one I have at my house in Canton City , which is faster than those offices in Shanghai.
Don't know why, it is just happening.
May be the Canton Province is better in the connecting the system built especially in the Pearl Delta area.

Cheers.
Leo

I live up a mountain in Andalucía and still have to manage with dial-up. Very frustrating!

Chickens, Mules and Two Old Fools

Share your expat experience and get in touch with other members

OR