Introduction of members in the Cook Islands

Welcome to Expat-blog! :)

We launched this discussion so that members living in the Cook Islands introduce themselves and hoping this will help you to widen your social network.

Are you living here since sometime or did you just arrive?
What brought you to the Cook Islands? What is your passion in term of hobbies, likes and dislikes?

Thanks for your presentation and see you soon on Expat.com!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Expat.com team
Share your expat experience!

Hello

My name is Magnus. I am 39 yo.
I am currently do not live in CI but are dreaming, planning and preparing to move.
I have visited the CI but only seen the islands or Rarotonga and Aitutaki. Mostly Aitutaki.
I did plan to go to the northern islands too, to Manihiki but during that stay weather conditions did not allow us to go so
we will have to save that for another time.
Generally I have liked the island, the people, the nature and way of living better in Aitutaki then Rarotonga but this should be said as non-judgemental because I spent so much more time in Aitutaki then Rarotonga.

I have not yet decieded which island we would like to live at but Aitutaki or Rarotonga is more likely then the other islands.

Things that speak more for Aitutaki is that I know the place better, I know some people already living there, I absolutely love the lagoon, only met nice and friendly people there and the location is just marvelous.
Things that is a bit of the downside of Aitutaki that makes me consider Rarotonga is the internet access, comparing to the standards in Sweden where most people have between 8-10Gigabit speed it is difficult to step back more then 10 years to dial-up services.
The second down-side is the mozzies. More or less anywhere one go mosquito repelent is a must. Third, although I would love to live a bit remote the availability of products for shopping is very small. Rarotonga has alot more to offer both for food as well as clothing products. I love dogs and would like to have one but dogs are not allowed on Aitutaki.

Things that speak more for Rarotonga is that it is the main island, coming to the airport one can reach ones home in less then 30 min wherever one lives on Rarotonga. There is a huge abundance of products and services compared to Aitutaki. Rarotonga allows dogs and there is plentifull.
Internet services are better and although the broadband is still very slow and expensive compared to European standards it is better then dial-up.
There seem to be a slight difference in weather on Rarotonga then Aitutaki. Aitutaki is definatly more tropical and warmer in temperature then Rarotonga.
Things that is a bit on the downside in Rarotonga that makes me consider Aitutaki is that I hardly know anyone living on Rarotonga, I have had some bad experience with foul people on Rarotonga. Rarotonga  is although not really hectic a bit more hectic then Aitutaki. Rarotonga has alot more people and visitors compared to Aitutaki.

This may be updated.......

/Magnus

Hi magnus!

Thanks for this introduction ;)

Armand

Hello
I am from Samoa, I have visited Cook Islands and would like to move there.

magnus wrote:

Hello

My name is Magnus. I am 39 yo.
I am currently do not live in CI but are dreaming, planning and preparing to move.
I have visited the CI but only seen the islands or Rarotonga and Aitutaki. Mostly Aitutaki.
I did plan to go to the northern islands too, to Manihiki but during that stay weather conditions did not allow us to go so
we will have to save that for another time.
Generally I have liked the island, the people, the nature and way of living better in Aitutaki then Rarotonga but this should be said as non-judgemental because I spent so much more time in Aitutaki then Rarotonga.

I have not yet decieded which island we would like to live at but Aitutaki or Rarotonga is more likely then the other islands.

Things that speak more for Aitutaki is that I know the place better, I know some people already living there, I absolutely love the lagoon, only met nice and friendly people there and the location is just marvelous.
Things that is a bit of the downside of Aitutaki that makes me consider Rarotonga is the internet access, comparing to the standards in Sweden where most people have between 8-10Gigabit speed it is difficult to step back more then 10 years to dial-up services.
The second down-side is the mozzies. More or less anywhere one go mosquito repelent is a must. Third, although I would love to live a bit remote the availability of products for shopping is very small. Rarotonga has alot more to offer both for food as well as clothing products. I love dogs and would like to have one but dogs are not allowed on Aitutaki.

Things that speak more for Rarotonga is that it is the main island, coming to the airport one can reach ones home in less then 30 min wherever one lives on Rarotonga. There is a huge abundance of products and services compared to Aitutaki. Rarotonga allows dogs and there is plentifull.
Internet services are better and although the broadband is still very slow and expensive compared to European standards it is better then dial-up.
There seem to be a slight difference in weather on Rarotonga then Aitutaki. Aitutaki is definatly more tropical and warmer in temperature then Rarotonga.
Things that is a bit on the downside in Rarotonga that makes me consider Aitutaki is that I hardly know anyone living on Rarotonga, I have had some bad experience with foul people on Rarotonga. Rarotonga  is although not really hectic a bit more hectic then Aitutaki. Rarotonga has alot more people and visitors compared to Aitutaki.

This may be updated.......

/Magnus

I enjoy your insight.  Anything further observations or update on your plans?