Introduction of members in Split

Hello dear Members, Welcome to Expat.com! :)

We launched this discussion so that members living in Split introduce themselves while hoping this will help you to widen your social network.

Are you living in Split since sometime or have you just arrived?
What brought you to Split? What is your passion in term of hobbies, likes and dislikes?

Thanking you in advance for your participation!

See you soon on Expat.com!

Hi. Pretty lame forum this! (In terms of replies.)

Ive been here with my wife for 3 weeks. Were staying for the duration of out 3 month stamp, but then in summer we will probably come back for longer-term.

I love the outdoors and the opportunities Croatia offers for that. I love meeting friends and having wine/beer and all that stuff too.

Split truly is a magical place and I feel fortunate to have found it!

Hi accesscrimea!

Thanks for your contribution.

Armand

I dont think people respond because not many want to move here.

There are plenty of foreigners who live in Croatia. Like any forum this one just needs to reach a certain threshold then people will start contributing more.

Hi, I don't agree that people don't want to live here, most people I know fall in love with Croatia once they have been. I live on the island of Brac and love it here. Red tape can be frustrating at times but it is worth it.

By the way I was in Split last week and the Black Cat has shut down, it's a shame cos it was really popular.

Gill

hello,
Maybe I should rephrase what I said.  I think less people would live in Croatia not be choice but by circumstances. Croatians are having difficulty finding jobs, so its even harder for foreigners to get a job, especially not knowing the language and corruption (you literally have to know someone to get a job in Croatia). Croatia is an amazing country but making the move there without being independently wealth is not possible.

(Moderated: please register in the Business Directory)

Hello my name is sam and i live in split i would to meet new people hvala byeee

I am Mexican and was in Croatia for close to a year and a half and its beautiful, places landscapes women all ages are beautiful, men are stupid in that country but I love them, not enough time to go around because work and lack of money but it was a great time regardless of the bad circumstances I had. I got jobs but bosses were awful they pay monthly, I am MEXICAN payday is weekly, thank's god is friday PAYDAY, so jobs forget it, you have to have your own business american style, like everywhere, all you need is an idea, a dollar, and guts. Croatian have ideas but never one dollar and no guts. As a good mexican I was an illegal alien for most of the time I was there, we are experts. Coming in and out to Slovenja, Serbija o Črna Gora ili Bosnia makes you legal but police registration forget it, anyway at the border the cops always said to me dobrodošli do hrvatska, hahahah Ja volim hrvatska s sve moj srce i puni ljepe djavojke. Hahaha going to opera, ballet, plays at HNK Zagreb and Split, Marrasquino u Zagrebu the best, a lot of boobs, asses and something else willing and easy for the mexican better than in Mexico thousand times better. Latino parties twice a month, and lots of friends so I started a business and was great, but lack of enough capital to grow and get papers made me go back to ugly Italy (Croatians hate italians me too), and from there back to Mexico, but I don't loose hope of going back ands staying forever, only need 5000 euros to fly and get papers and that is it. My own business in zagreb, riejka, dubrovnik, međugorije, zinj, varaždin, četkovic and best of all SPLIT and the islands. Ohhhhh I miss Bačvice i Štobreč beaches
Pozdravi za sve iz Meksiko.

great

bog! i'm moving to split in september 2013 and i really, really hope to meet at least a few expats to hang out and enjoy the city with! i've already been studying the language with a teacher so i hope to make some local friends, too.

vidimo se! :D

Hello my friends
I was in Croatia before living for a while on top of a mountain in a village called Pribor at a town called Žrnovnica, near Split somewhere beyond Štobreč and then turning left towards Dubrava and Mosor mountain. I hated and loved the place, now that I live in the town of Rio Blanco, in the Orizaba's metropolitan area on the state of Veracruz in Mexico, I terribly miss to come back there to Split, the Adriatic Sea and the Kliss mountain where my friend Lana lives. My next step will be to go to Cuba in the middle of january when the new laws there will be in place for Cubans to leave more easily and marry a beautiful girl I met 2 years ago when my boss Marko Marin the owner of Sveta Klara the religious souvenirs store in Split located on the back of Sveta Klara convent near the public library. This guy invited me to Cuba on november of 2010 and that was when I met that girl. Although I can not come back to Croatia until I get this Cuban girl out to Mexico first and after a while when all immigration issues will be solved. THEN may be we will go to ljepa Hrvatska zajedno, za živiti tamo za uvjiek. Which means we will go to beautiful Croatia together to live there forever. In a way she will be my present from my stay in Croatia because if it was not for Mr. Marin and his crazy idea of going to Havana in november 2010 we would never have met. So I love Croatia with all my heart, hope many of you can stay there and may be one day we can meet there to drink rakia, turkish coffe and mexican tamales
Doviđenja

Hi there expats in and around Split,

anyone interested in exchanging experiences (positive or negative) feel free to contact me.
How: go to my blog svinisce.blogspot.com and look in the header for my mail address.

We, my wife and me, live near Omis, in what's called Dalmatinska Zagora, and despite some hard work on the bureaucratic side we love our life here, living as retired people in a beautiful country.
Do not write me about jobs please, we don't have one, just for sharing basic interests your reply is welcome.
And one thing to add, this is not America nor England nor Holland, this is Croatia, with much to enjoy, even when you are sometimes feeling things at home were better.
To say it in other words, "if you can't stand the heat.........".
Pozdravi iz Svinisce, Pim.

I have been in Split for 5 years and would like to make some English speaking Friends.

Hi all, I am from Scotland, will be spending some time in Split in June and would love to meet a few people who would like to show me about as I have never been in this beautiful city before, only Zagreb.

I speak Russian and have vast knowledge and experience of Eastern Europe, feel free to get in touch any time!

See you in Split

Hi there,
your answer made me wonder why not many people want to move here:-)

I couldn't disagree more, as there is a growing amount of people who decide to stay/live here.

True, if you're looking for a job you're not the only one (unemployment rate about 18%) which makes the government "a bit nervous" to invite more job seekers.
Also, if you are looking for making big money, better buy some Google stocks, as the average wage per month is about 1000 dollars.

On the other hand, climate is absolutely great, nature even greater, and the Croats in general easy going.

We, a Dutch couple, left Holland to spend our life here after we retired, and I can tell you one thing: THE BEST EVER DECISION !

If you like, check my blog (svinisce.blogspot.com), with top right my email address.

Cheers mate, Pim.

hi Erika,

feel free to contact me, a retired Dutchman and his wife living near Omis, haf hour from Split.

I can connect you to some others in and around Split if you like.
see my blog svinisce.blogspot.com, where my mail address is in the top right of the header.

poz. pim.

hi everyone, I am Debora and married a Croatian and since 2011 i live in Split. I am from Brazil and would like to meet people, feel free to contact me! i also write to a travel blog, Rodando pelo Mundo, and if any of you guys would like to contribute with some stories about traveling and curiosities and tips about this country, you are more than welcome.

I love to swim, sail on cruise ships * well, I have 5 years of experience as kids entertainer onboard RCCL* and also as an English and portuguese teacher in Brazil and here in Split I have taught Portuguese for Croatian students.

Hope we can contact and exchange great ideas, vidimo se!

Hi Debora,

me and my wife are a retired Dutch couple, living about half an hour south of Split, in the mountains behind Omis.
our village is called Svinisce, and our surroundings are magnificent (Cetina river, Adriatic and a pile of mountains).

a fantastic life, never going back to Holland again for sure :-)
if you like, see my blog: svinisce, the hidden treasure
in the top right side of it is my email address, so feel free to contact me, as I know a couple of "stranci".

unfortunately the next two weeks I must go to Holland, so some patience please.

poz. Pim.

hi, thats amazing!
i live in Jesenice, very near Omis in fact.
So \I will contact you as soon as you come back from Holland!
have a nice trip!

Doei

Hi Debora,

so close and yet so "far" that we need internet to get in contact.
anyway, I truly look forward to meet with you.

wish my trip to holland was for fun, gonna have to solve a problem with our house in holland, still not sold, but waiting for a better market.
and believe me,I return AS SOON AS POSSIBLE, as holland means nothing to us compared to our life in dalmacija.

you made me laugh with your "doei", thanks for the answer !
cheers, pim.

ps.
feel free to use my email address: pimdevos X gmail.com (X = @).

Hi there!

In which city do you live on Brac. I am staying in Supetar!

Thanks,

Alina

And hello to you :-)
No idea who you ask about Brac, but here's an answer anyway.
In case your question needs my answer, sorry, but we live on the mainland, near Omis.
Hope that answers your question.

Haven't a clue who lives on Brac, do know some people however living on other places, including the islands.
If you like to know, let me know and I will let you know :-)

Poz, Pim (svinisce.blogspot.com)

Hello/Bok all Splicani, expats etc.
I will be again returning to Dalmatia in a couple of weeks. I am hoping to spend at least two or three months in and around Split. I am looking for a flat to rent near to the center, for reasonable. Nothing fancy needed. If you know of anyone that has a place to rent, please contact me at [email protected]. Would also love to meet others, and if you enjoy hiking I am going to be doing lots, and other excursions as well!
Vidimos
Alex

Sorry Alex,

not living in Split but south of it, I can't help you.
Hope some Split member can help you find a place there.
You could however contact the guy behind "view from the riva" because he lives there and is loaded with local knowledge.
Poz, Pim (svinisce.blogspot.com)

Thanks/Hvala
you are in Omis yes. Ok, just putting the word out to members.:)

Bok!

You should also try to the facebook group for expats in Split - they may know.

Best of luck

SJ
chasingthedonkey.com

Very nice, thank you, except it is not "Pribor" but Privor.
Pribor means something else, but you will find out when you come again...:-)

Hi, it's Morningstar, wondering if the expats in Split have any sort of regular MEEtUP? I would like to meet the expats living here, but not sure how to proceed.

Thanks
Morningstar

Hi there "morningstar".

yes there is a expat group in Split.
See Expats meet Split on facebook, a pleasant bunch of internationals and locals (most speak english).
There's also another group, but ours is more easy going.
However I/we live half an hour away from Split near Omis, I know there are regular meetings.
Contact me or the group, as shared fun is double fun.
Cheers, or as we say it, poz, Pim.

Hi Pim
What I found on fb seems to be closed. Have any phone numbers or www for me? I was in OMIS the other day. I kept stopping all along the coast to take shots of this beautiful coast. Lovely. I turned in the rental car yesterday so now I'm on foot. Living near the old town is nice. Do wish to meet some expat group here. Is there any post boards in this city, like at an internet café, or are those all gone?

Thanks bunches
Morningstar

Hi Morningstar,

The group is here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/SplitSplitters
Anyone can invite anybody to the group, it's just a way to keep things free from spam I think.
You'll find out it's a nice bunch.
If needed, feel free to send me an email: pimdevos at gmail.com.
Poz. Pim.

PS
We're a retired Dutch couple, living just behind Omis' mountains, in the middle of "nowhere".
I only go to Split to do extra shopping, like I did today.

Oh, cool, thanks. Yes, I guess I saw this and pushed JOIN, but didn't know how to see the scheduled events. Maybe after the JOIN is accepted I will see some dates for coffee, or whatever. Very nice! I envy your little slice of heaven. I went half way to the top of that mountain, and I saw that there is a church at the very top, so there must be a small old village, but I didn't continue to the top. Looks so charming. Is that where you live?

Yep, that's where we enjoy life to the max.
The village is called Svinisce, and our part lies in a charming valley with a stunning view.
The very best place in all Dalmatia, as it's only five minutes down the mountain to be at the Cetina and another five to the sea.
Anyway, it's our "best kept secret" about which I wrote nearly 400 pages on my blog blogspot.com.
If you need any help connecting to expats in Split, just let me know.
Poz. Pim.

Hey everyone,
so I've been eyeing Split for a while, and finally coming on August 2nd. Really looking forward to it. I'll be staying for (at least) three months, and would be really cool to meet some other expats while I'm there.

I love meeting new people and will be happy to meet anyone who likes meeting new people as well. Feel free to contact me if you are :)

Hello:

We are visiting Croatia in October & will be in Split initially.  We would love to meet up with some expats living in the area.  Is this possible?

Thank you,
Mary

Hi there :)
My name is Zrinka and I come from Split. I've been teaching Croatian language people from all over the world for many years. Mostly online via Skype. I am very good, actually the best among more then 200 registered teachers in Croatian , according to recommendations at one of the best sites in the world called  language-school-teachers.com.
So if you are interested in knowing this hard language feel free to contact me at ++++
Thank you
Zrinka

Moderated by Maximilien 8 years ago
Reason : avoid posting your personal details pls

Hi Alina, I live in Sutivan on Brac

Gill