I will be moving to France wahooooooooooooo. Brittany to be exact :-D

Hi All,
I will be moving to Brittany in August, Vannes to be precise. I would like some help and information if possible.
I am a complete beginner when it comes to the French language, so if anyone knows where I can learn French in Vannes that would help.
I would also really appreciate any kind of help or advice for my new life in France.
Many Thanks

Welcome on Expat.com chunderboy ;)

May be you could also post an advert on the France Classifieds section>Classes. This can help as well.

Regards

Cheers and thanks for the info Yud :D

Hi Chunderboy,

Welcome to France. If you'll be living here in France permanently or you'll do long stay you'll receive letters and lots of them from different kinds of establishment since you're not French and it is useful to keep every single letters for future reference. You'll be needing a" titre sejour" it's a proof of residence or should I say "carte de séjour" (of which I have one) its a long-term residency document. That kind of document is a must, you should apply for one at your municipal. They'll give you list of requirements, I think. You need to give them proper photo of you so you should have a good one 'cause like every ID your face will be pasted in there. Lol!

About French lessons, it's an obligatory to learn French and you'll have to do certain hours, mine was 300 hrs before but I think now they're trying to lessen it to 250 hrs, it depends of your French level and the good part is it's free.

The ANAEM (L'Agence Nationale de l'Accueil des Etrangers et des Migrations) will tell you more about it via post mails.  I went to ANAEM in Rennes. I was given a letter invite to go there. I had my medical and interview there. That's the time I've learn where to go for French lesson 'cause they'll assign a place nearest your home.

Take note, since France is using post mails, sometimes you need to do phone calls and follow up some of your papers. There are times, your carte de séjour is so long to process or arrive. The "préfecture" is the one taking care of it.  You need to replace "carte de séjour a month before it expires and you should be very careful on that because processing seems to be very long.

There are also other small French classes that each municipals offer. Try to visit the "mairie" (the municipal in Vannes) and ask info about where can you have French lessons aside from the one that ANAEM will appoint you. Each municipal usually knows lots of details concerning foreigners and they're quite helpful.

My close friends are English as well, in this French speaking country,  you happen to look for someone who can understand the language you speak, maybe that's why I got closer to them. I first met their father who's on his late 50's. He's actually my classmate in French class and he's cool! Lol! In French class, you'll meet lots of people of different nationalities and ages. I enjoyed going to French class and meet new friends. I'm more close to his daughter, who's near my age 31, we go meet sometimes even we both have to drive long... going to my place or vice versa 'cause they're living in Playben and I'm from Concarneau.

If you got other questions, I'll be glad to answer them because I've undergone all of those paper works with the help of course of my French husband. Since I don't speak fluent French it is still wise to have someone who speaks French to accompany you and help you understand the process better.

So that's about it. :)

Goodluck.

Hello cathfilfrench,

Thanks for all your information, very helpful.
The free lessons sound good for two reasons, for the lessons being free and for meeting new people :)

I look forward to the challenge of moving to France and learning the language.

How are the lessons? easy, hard??? I know very little so I think it will maybe take me about 15 years to speak a little :-s

If it doesnt disturb you I will contact you again once I know more and of course have more questions :D

Fingers crossed I will be in France from the beginning of August

Take care and speak soon

Hi Chunderboy,

The french lesson is easy, I said easy because you already speak english and maybe because my teacher speaks very good english too even she's french, making it easier for me to learn quickly. I learn french in class not at home even my husband is pure french (lol) we speak english at home, I even demand him to talk only pure french with me but we always end up speaking english.  Somehow, it's getting better and becoming mix of 3 laguages tagalog (my mother language), English and French. I believe the best and fastest way to speak and learn french is when you're expose to french people.

I already took my french exam and it makes my teacher very proud because I got a perfect score in my exam. It's called DILF exam (Diplôme Initial de Langue Française).  Exam venues in Bretagne area are usually in universities in Rennes or Brest but now people incharge of the exam are flexible and they're giving exams in places nearer to the examinee's location. I took mine in Lorient which is good for me because it's like 45 mins drive from my place unlike Rennes which is like 3 hrs drive. The exam consists of both oral and written which were pretty easy. I'm sure you can do good too. Even I didn't expect I could learn french 'cause it feels like learning french is forever. Lol! And since french people won't talk english to you, I believe because they're worried of sounding rediculous and concious of english  wrong grammar, even they understand your english they will still answer back in french and there's no choice we should really make an effort learning french.

I suggest, try to grab a book called "The French Experience 1"  new edition of BBC. It's a multi-media course for beginners learning french by Marie-Thérèse Bougard and Danièle Bourdais. It comes with 4 CDs. My English friend gave it to me and it helps me a lot not to be stress and learn french the smooth way (lol) because it very hard to find an English book on learning french here in France. In UK there's a lot. All I can find here is a dictionary and it's pretty hard to learn with just a dictionary.

Ohh wait, I just remember since you're from UK you don't need to take any exam but you might be obligue to attend french lesson classes... lucky you! Just learn the basics and you'll be fine by August when you arrive.

regards,

Cath

Hi Cath,

I have heard of the french experience book I will try and get my hands on one. I will have to take your word on the lessons being easy, you dont know how bad I am :-S

Its great that you can speak THREE languages. I will be happy with just two lol

In one way I hope there is an exam and I defo hope I will be obligued to attend french lesson classes. For sure I want to learn but all seems very difficult, but I will soon see :-)

I think Rennes is an hour on the train but I will see if there is somewhere nearer.

How long have you been living in France? Whats your best and worst things about being in France?

Take it easy
Chunderboy

Hi Chunderboy,

Having a good group in class is a big factor, 'cause it's true sometimes classes tend to be really boring specially when the sun is high and everyone is yawning plus if you're doing the same lessons over and over again. There will always be a new comer in the class so you'll have to present yourselves everytime. Before you finish your french class you'll know very well how to present yourself in french. When you're out of your safe zone it's very useful. What my teacher did is she separates classes into 2 groups the beginners and the advance. If you could catch up quickly then you go in the advance class. I guess, I was just lucky 'cause the people in my class during my french class days were completely fun and hilarious. I said that because we learn and at the same time we play. Yes, we're like bunch of idiots playing from ages 20 and up but it was really fun. Everyone is cool even someone is being laugh at,  during reading session in french, they just won't get mad nor offended but also laugh at their mistakes... how cool is that?! I guess, because we started to get along really well, the bonding is really cool. Each and everyone have their own unique humour. We're combination of Spanish, Brazilian, Venezuelian, Philippine, Thailand, English, Canadians, Chinese, Indians, Turkish, Vietnamese, Africans ect. Imagine the beauties and all the cute accents. Lol! They're beautiful people inside and out. We don't just go to class and learn french the boring way but we put fun in it. We even have a day in class where in one takes turn on discussing about their country and culture, that way we get to discover other people's culture. Some would go in costumes and show their native dances. That was really awesome!

About the exams, I think you can always ask for it but I'm not sure if it'll be free because if you're ask to take the exam then it's free like my exam. If in case a person fails on the 1st take, they can always take a 2nd or 3rd take but I believe it won't be free anymore same thing for people who wish to take DILF, DELF or DALF exams.

I arrived France late Nov 2008, got pregnant with 2nd sweet baby girl. I can't move that much so I just stayed home most of the time, kinda difficult to move around with a big belly bump.  I stopped going to French class when I was pregnant. You can always stop then continue later if you want for as long as you'll finish your French lesson hours. If not, you'll have to go back to zero and start all over again. I can't drive before, I just learn how to drive here in France 3 months after giving birth on 2009. I just learn the basic french words in diving and then I'm on the road rolling. That started to be more fun because I can escape from home. (Lol!) My husband encouraged me to drive and slowly I'm doing things on my own and got my way out of culture shock.

About your last question: "What's your best and worst things about being in France?" Hmmmm...that's an interesting question. My best, maybe is knowing another world completely different from mine. I love barbeques on a summer day and out door activities. I feel like I'm back in my country when it is summer. I've learn to embrace culture of baguette and cheese and their endless mouth watery desserts. (Lol!) I noticed they like tranquility and not loud. Get what I mean? I'm from a tropical country where weather is nice and warm and all of a sudden I'm living in a country where there's negative degree during winter. All trees are dead as if they've been struck by a storm of some kind but I love to see winter snow and see my kids play with snow. It was winter night when I first arrive at our new home in France. I felt weird and saw dead cold trees with houses having shutters every where. I told my husband,  "Are there monsters and zombies showing up at night? 'cause people are scared to let their windows open (Lol!) Amazing how windows are tightly secured with shutters knowing that windows were already built with thick glasses.

My worst? I got extremely sensitive sense of smell. I don't like bad smell and since this is Bretagne with beautiful landscapes and big farms. You can smell the stinky compost in the air from huge farms near by. I was pregnant then, first year I'm in France, I feel violently ill and want to chunder everywhere. Sorry no offence on your name. ;) How did you come out with that name, by the way... I kinda like it. hahaha.

Another thing is CULTURE SHOCK: no more big malls for shopping like most women fancy, stores are close on Sundays and they close as early as 7pm sometimes 5pm, plus the fact that they close 2 hrs for lunch break. During meal invites, long meals could last for 3 hrs or more. I remember eating lunch at my in-laws for the very 1st time, I can't eat dinner anymore when we got back home because I'm so full!. Even on restaurants, here a meal is an event and you're never rushed.  During summer, sun is still up 'till 11pm. I'm asking my eldest daughter that it isn't daytime playtime anymore and it's time to go to bed even the sun is still out.  I recall driving and got lost with my kids so I have to stop and ask in French to find my way back home. Lol! I think even the police will be very kind even I made mistakes on the road which I'm very careful of.  GPS is very handy, specially since I'm not used to the roads.

Practice speaking french, if you want doors to open like magic. Even if it is only a few words. Speak softly. Speak with a smile. It works pretty good with me.  Learn how to say... "Hello-Bonjour, Please-s'il vous plaît,  Thank you-Merci", people are more open. Don't worry about how you sound like talking French, I'm sure they'll find your accent cute. When I approached trying to speak in French, "Je parle un peu français meaning I speak a little French" they usually smile and sometimes break into English or a mixture of both English and French.

Keep it real. :)

Cath

Hello both of you !

Everytime I see a new post, I can't avoid to read it !
Cath, I really like your long and impressive texts about french and France. I'm French and it's funny to read your feelings about my country :) I can't stop smiling !

I live in the very south and I don't really know Britanny. Depends on the part of France, but people can react differently.
Here there is no farm but you can smell the bad odors of grapes when they harvest them during automn. When you're not used of it, it's quite difficult to walk with a big smile on your face in the villages.. ahah

I lived in Ireland during a year long and I was shocked that nobody tries to speak a little french with me or is curious about my country... Maybe because in France many people are really curious about foreigners and try to speak english or whatever to help them to integrate.

Anyway, Chunderboy, hope you very good moments in France !

Marion

Hi Cath,
Fingers crossed once I get settled and start my lessons I will end up with a good class. Unlike you im sure I wont be in the advanced class :-s Im not one for class room learning I prefer hands on experience but how you describe the lessons interests me :-D
You must be good with your French if you have had driving lessons
and passed your test (or did they speak English lol)
In the past 18 months I have been to France quite a few times so I know what you mean about meal times being very long and also about the shop, although Im happy about the shops because it means you can shop all day and for me this is a bonus lol
chunder does mean what you think it does, I got this nickname a long time ago. I used to play rugby until last year, of course we would go out drinking after the match and I would always chunder, hence the name chunderboy lol As ive got older it doesnt happen so much :P but it does still happen :-D
ok I will keep trying to learn the lingo, I do know a little but only a little. I seem to be understanding more and more but I find it very difficult speaking???? I dont know why, is this normal????

Catch you soon,
ps Im off to France today, my flight is 5pm uk time. Sadly its just for the weekend

Speak soon
chunder

pps Hi Marion

Its not just Ireland they dont speak to much French it the whole uk :-s.

I think thats why we all find it difficult to learn French.
Catch you soon
chunder

Hi Chunderboy,

Wow! Coming for a visit eh... I understand distance makes the heart grow fonder.  You remind me of Jef making airplanes like busses. Lol! He would fly to the Philippines whenever he gets a chance, even it would only mean a few days 'till I decided to finally join him in France.

You said: I do know a little but only a little. I seem to be understanding more and more but I find it very difficult speaking???? I dont know why, is this normal????

At our age it is normal. Lol! My 8 yr old girl speaks fluent french exactly 4 mos. after permanently settling here and I think my 20 mos old baby will speak fluent french sooner than me. I know, I know I feel the same yet it's completely normal. I'm just a little confused how come my husband could pronounce tagalog words as if he is from Philippines. I think because french knows Spanish that's probably why.

I miss going to french class, I remember David (English dad) being so good in class that even he got a hearing aid when it's time for written exam in class he would always get the highest score. And we're always joking with him. He said he understand more than he could speak french. I used to sit right next to him translating what my teacher said in french to English whenever my teacher would go out of class. Lol! Even we have a cool teacher she would like us to speak french and doesn't like hearing us chatting in English. So we're like buzzing bees everytime she's out 'cause that's the time everybody could talk in English or their own language.  I remember, he used to bring in class his wife home bake English cakes! Yum! Everybody is bringing food actually, girl friends love to cook so we're often like going on a picnic.

About french pronunciation, I can't even pronounce the R or "er" sound when you squeezed it in a word. I know how to gargle when I'm having my mouth wash to create an R sound at the back of the throat but when I was about to say a word with R in it I just can't do it. I can't make french grammar right either. My husband said not to worry even real french forgets how to use correct french grammar. Oh well,  I just smile and pronounce the french words the way I can even my tongue is all twisted after.

I believe, repetition is the key. Once you kept on hearing it, you'll have it registered in your mind. You'll be amazed it seems to stock in your head and sometime out of the blue you'll start talking some of the words or phrases you often hear. But it's true you really have to stay or live here to be able to speak french. I first learn the phrases "Je t'aime and Tu me  manque"  if you have a french partner you'll get the point why.

I'm sure you can't wait to be in that 5 o'clock flight and as soon as you get to the airport your you'll get to see the sweetest smile :) I completely understand the feeling. Lol!  Well, have a lovely weekend!

Cheers!

Cath

Bonjour Marion,

Comment allez vous? It's nice to know I make you smile. I try to make life in France filled with smiles. Your place in the south sounds nice even you said it got bad odor of grapes. Lol! I think I'm ok now because I'm not pregnant anymore and not feeling sick that much with unpleasant smell. I have relatives from down south France in Cannes but I haven't been there to visit hopefully sometime soon.

About Ireland, I think their first official language is Irish also known as Irish Gaelic, as distinct from Scottish Gaelic or the extinct Manx Gaelic. However, Irish is now the first language only in Gaeltacht regions mostly found in western Ireland and English is the first language of the majority of the inhabitants of areas like Dublin. I don't know about them talking in French though.

take care,

Cath

Bonjour Cath,

Je vais très bien, merci :)
Personaly I live near Montpellier, it's really different from Cannes and all the French Riviera.

In Ireland, officially Irish is the first language and then there is English but not a lot of people still speaks it. I lived in a small town in the center of the country (in the middle of sheep groups ahah) and nobody spoke Irish... Nowaday, it's like little french dialects only spoken by the elders... Irish is only spoken by old people and some others really interested in it.

Anyway, that's not really the subject of this topic ahah

Hope chunderboy will enjoy his trip !

Marion

Hi - I'm Shelley and I live north of Rennes in Brittany. Been here about 5 years now, previously having been living in Nottingham, so not too far from your neck of the woods. I don't think you'll have any problems finding a french course in Vannes - there are lots of brits there and you'll probably find conversation groups (French/ English mixed) pretty easily. Sometimes these are held in bars / cafés or you should check out local community centers  / town halls etc for details. A quick google of expat sites for the area may also throw up some options. It sounds like you're excited about the move and keen to learn, which is the first hurdle. I'm sure you'll very quickly pick up the language. Good luck...hope all goes well for the move. Best wishes, Shelley

Hi All,
Sadly Im back now :-(.
I arrived back nearly a day late after missing my plane lol (not my fault honest :-D ) I had a train delay of two hours which was not so good. (I think someone committed suicide) So I was stuck in the train on the track not at a station but in the middle of the track for two hours :-( I ended missing my plane by 20 mins. On the plus side I got to spend the day in Paris which is always a good thing :-D also what was good, BMI Baby moved me to the next flight for just an admin charge of 13 euro's which I thought was amazing. Apparently this is the normal thing they do if you miss the plane.

@ shelley, that sounds very English meeting in the pub but that is perfect for me :-). I will check out all the places you advise once I arrive for good. Also you have been in Rennes for 5 years, so you must like your new home? How come you moved if you dont mind me being nosey :-D

@ Marion, the trip was fantastic as always thank you. You have a great country, great food, nice people and the sun :-)

@ Cath, I was trying to beat you with a long message but you seem to be the master of this lol. I keep trying to learn key words by repeating, some stay and some dont but Im not going to be beaten by my little memory :-s and yes the R's are very difficult as are many other words and sentence's

Speak to you all soon
Lee

Hi there - sorry to hear about your travel hiccups, but it sounds like you made the most of your delay rather than letting it spoil your visit.

In answer to your question as to why we moved here, it simply made sense at the time; needed a bigger house / more space and found that it was far easier to do here. Also I had been made redundant so it seemed like the perfect time, whilst the kids were young and able to adapt. Have been very happy with the move overall - kids are happy and well-settled and we have a nice house and garden. From the parenting point of view (god I sound old) its good to see that here they can have more of a childhood away from some of the less delightful things about England ( litter, vandalism, drugs etc). Of course, its not black and white and no place is perfect but I really love Brittany and the local people. If I can sort myself out with a bigger network of friends then all will indeed be well in paradise! Hope everything runs as smoothly for you! Take care, Shelley

Shelley, yes I defo made the most of the delay :D

lol you dont sound that old??? I know what you mean about litter and stuff. Thats where us brits in England have it all wrong, we just expect someone else to do it :(

In one way the friends thing is what worries me a little but we will see what happens once I move. (oh and not having a job worries me a little too :D)

Hi Lee,

How are you doing? Nice to know that you're fine after that adventure you had. Lol! I know missing the plane isn't funny at all.

Been busy lately, would like to tell you that you shouldn't be worry of not having a job here in France. There are many agencies or government establishments helping people to find a job that fits their qualifications. I had a rendezvous at Pôle Emploi this month. Even I'm not a fluent French speaker I was brave enough to take an appointment alone. Usually, my husband would accompany me but since he can't get a day off, specially with the kind of job he has, I had to go all by myself. My husband said it'll be all right even I don't feel like going alone. The first lady I spoke with speaks English so I was like... "What a relief!" Lol! The next guy doesn't speak English but he was so kind and take his time to help me out. They give me personal codes I'll be using every time I'll log on to their website  (www.pole-emploi.fr).  They also gave me this phone no. 3949, that you could call. To sum it all, my rdv went well.  After a couple of days I received an email from Pôle Emploi, I'll have another rdv end of May. I'll be going alone again... sigh.  Somehow, me going alone, is good because I'm force to learn.

There are employers looking for English speaker so that's a plus. Some work doesn't require if you speak good French as what my English friend said who works in a chicken factory...  " When you work, you don't talk French to the dead chicken" Lol!

When are you coming back to France? Hope you're having a good day.

Regards,

Cath

PS: You almost beat me with a long message but you were talking to 3 person at the same time. Try to press the enter key couple of times next time and you'll end up with a long one. ;P  Just kidding. Speak with you soon!

To Shelley,

Sending warm Hello to Shelley. :) My close English friend is named also Shelly (also living in France), it's just her name lacks another E. It's true in  France (except the capital Paris) you can have a nice house with a big garden. It's nice to have a garden, where my kids could run around if they wish to play outside and I don't need to worry about them playing in the street with fast cars.

Hi Cath,

wow you have been busy and Im very happy for you on going it alone :-D as you said it forces you to learn.

Is that enough spaces to beat you on messages???? lol

I like the thought of me trying to speak French to a dead chicken lol im sure the dead chicken would tell me how bad I am at French :-D

I will look at the link you have recommended to me. I will also let you know how I get on :-s

All being well I will be back next weekend but not sure if im back in Vannes or if we will go somewhere else, either way I will soon be back wahoo :-D

Enjoy your evening :-)

Hi Lee,

Lol! That was funny. Now you know how to lengthen your messages. I haven't got a job yet from Pole Emploi, I'm like in the middle of... "should I really work now or should I wait a little while" still thinking if I should wait for my youngest to go to school. For the meantime I'm not working but would be very glad to have one soon if the job offer really interest me.  I'm not picky, I can do any job for as long as I won't have problem with who will take care of my youngest.

Take care.

Cath

Hi Chunderboy (wonder why you're called that???) A good head start in the french language can be had by the Michel Thomas french language course. Its in 8 cd's so easy to listen to in the car and there's no writing etc. I found it gave me a really good kick start before I went onto things like verbs etc etc.You should be able to pick one up on ebay quite reasonably.Good luck

@ catpaws Im sure your guess about my name is correct :-D
Anyway thanks for the advice catpaws and I like the idea of listening to cds and not doing any writing :D

Well, hi chunderboy, I am also new to this place and I am going to French speaking classes in the States Auditorium, I think you can also come and join with me:)

Bonjour

Et bienvenu en Bretagne

I hope that you will enjoy in Britain. If I can help you with your French, do not hesitate!

Hello,

Welcome in France !

If you want to learn french, you can call Joce on her web site ! She 'll explain you how her courses works and what you can visit during your settling.

She 's also on Facebook :facebook.com/2coquelicotsfrenchcourse

Hi Cath😊 I'm Irish living on the west coast and irish is spoken in some areas especially near me! I hope to move to Brittany in June after I finish my teacher training course in english (Celt)..hopefully I will be lucky in my job hunt! 😊

My advice....move where u are submerged into the culture. Otherwise dont move here. Ive been here 6 months and am ready to move back

If anyone is moving to France or more  so paris in the uk new they are having riots and disorder at the moment. So i would to say be careful and who you work for....romantic notions of Paris are in the past society has changed a lot from when i used to think paris was a great place...plus they have terrorist issues from time to time and some big ones at that...because of floors in vetting and background checking....when its peaceful its a tourist destination but expencive to live unless you have a very well paid job. Best advice is go there a few times and investigate what realistic possibilities there are for work before getting carried away with the romantic thoughts. I would say this to anyone thinking on this first and do your due diligence online..regarding work and visa online at French embassies in your own country and see what requirements they need. Thus is not just a reply to the subscriber but put out to everyone who is looking to live there, and read the english newspapers for news and any warning issues before you travel to any place from your own embassy or French embassy on line. Keep ahead of the game.