How are the possibilities of teaching English in CR?

I have a Masters in Education and was seriously thinking of getting my TESL certificate and teach English in CR.  I would hope my Masters would help me.  Advice please!

You can easily teach in CR. Private lessons, or for a school. Some schools will pay you above board, offer benefits, etc. Others will not. There are companies in CR that hire English teachers to work at their clients offices, teaching that way. Check CraigsList. I can refer you to one in particular, if you're interested.

Private lessons are usually higher paying, because you can set your own prices but you do have to work hard at getting/keeping students. I've found that often, it's a 1 out of 5 deal. One out of five people that express serious interest ACTUALLY start taking classes. And then you have to keep working to bring in more students because Ticos don't seem to be great at continuing classes or coming to each class.

Not trying to discourage you, just wanted to give you a real perspective. Email me if you want to chat more. :-)

forthetimehascome AT gmail

Kendra

I agree with Kendra. And you'll have to work in the city near San Jose if you want to work for  a school. You will not be likely to find employment in the tourist areas by the ocean. I taught English on my own so I could stay in the Caribbean - the place I like best in Costa Rica. The pay was better than if I worked at a school but still not so great. And like Kendra said, often people did not show up for class. Getting them to study was a challenge, too. My students were young adults with families and full time jobs so it was difficult for them. 

A friend of mine worked for the University in Heredia (UNA) for a year or so and then quit because she really wanted to live by the beach. She did not have the degree education that you do. She was not paid all that well and there were lots of complications in arranging for a work visa from the university.

Your best bet may be to work for a business of some kind - hired to teach their executives. But that would definitely be in San Jose. And you would need to know Spanish.

Costa Rica really needs English teachers but they are a poor country compared to the USA and they do not pay their teachers anywhere near what we are used to in the States. Many people want to learn English but few really have the determination to do it.

I would suggest you visit and investigate for yourself before making a decision that this is the work you want to do.

hi!! im an english teacher and i wanna go to costa riva!!
could u fine a job. then??
wouls i need a work visa??
thanks!! if  you have  any contact please let me know!!

lol, and you teach English ??

Bill

Where in the Caribbean did you work Lisa?

Where did u teach in the Caribbean ?

Hello. I would like to start an all English speaking school here where I live. I sent my girls 7 and 2  to an all English speaking school by the beach for over 3 years but we moved out. My girls really learned a lot. Where I live there are two schools that boast English as a strong subject in their curriculum but none of the teachers are native English spoken; I have spoken to teachers and students from both schools and they are way behind to what a real English school could be able to place them.  I have a possible way to purchase an existing school from south Costa Rica, it has all permits to function but I do not have the time to put it all together nor I am a teacher. I offer you a partner ship if you're interested. We can start with K-3 grades like the school on the beach did, and every year they offered a new grade. They offer now K-8 grades. We can discuss details mauronavarroATgmailDOTcom

Hello, as I mentioned to Lisa, one of the teachers that posted a reply  I would like to start an all English speaking school here where I live. I sent my girls 7 and 2  to an all English speaking school by the beach for over 3 years but we moved out. My girls really learned a lot. Where I live now there are two schools that boast English as a strong subject in their curriculum but none of the teachers are native English spoken; I have spoken to teachers and students from both schools and they are way behind to what a real English school could be able to place them.  I have a possible way to purchase an existing school from south Costa Rica, it has all permits to function but I do not have the time to put it all together nor I am a teacher. I offer you a partner ship if you're interested. We can start with K-3 grades like the school on the beach did, and every year they offered a new grade. They offer now K-8 grades. We can discuss details mauronavarroATgmailDOTcom

I think you need to improve your own English skills before you try to teach someone else!

I said I ain't a teacher  ( did I say it right?)