Dress Code Advice - Urgent

Hi All,

I hope you are well :) I need some urgent advice please??!!

So Hubby is flying into Kuwait on Sunday.

On Monday he will be having accomodation and school tours and  on Tuesday he will have his face to face interviews!

Whilst I think I am ok packing him clothes for his interviews, I am a little concerned over what he should be wearing for his accomadation tour!! Is he ok to wear a short sleved casual shirt? Should he wear long shorts or linen trousers???

Probably all stupid questions but would appreciate your advice - would hate to cause offence and blow the job prospect at the last minute!!

Thanks in advance ;)

Em x

Hi Em,

For the accommodation tour casual dress will do, it is Kuwait after all, no one would go in such hot climate in suit :)
Good luck for you and for your hubby.

u will find all manners of dress here in Kuwait, just last weekend a gentleman in a tipped his cowboy hat @ me (i think i was staring), in saudi its not prefered for me to wear shorts, but in kuwait, its a free-for-all.

the one thing i dont get is guys going out in swimming trunks, without the intention of swimming! someone explain that to me.

Thank you Legacy - I am sure that my Husband has no intention of going on the tour in swimming shorts.

I dont understand that one myself!!! xx

and thank you Adnan x

i think he should wear a suit so he would look more professional

Hi Em,

It's not an easy question at all, and I can understand your doubt!!  As it really depends on the meetings/visits he will have and who he'll be meeting, it's better to play it safe, as the other poster mentioned above it has some formality after all. So for the face to face meetings, I recommend business casual, with not necessarily a jacket/tie. It's hot, so a long shirt will do fine with decent pants. For the accommodation tour, just casual would do fine (I'd not suggest  jeans though :D )

I know this also depends on what type of person he is, visit meeting other colleagues, school environment, etc. but with the above tips, I guess he'd be more on the safe side. He can also ask on the first day what the dress-code usually is, and try to match that on the second day.  Hope this helps and good luck!

heres a question Em, what type of work will ur husband be involved in? like for example, engineers etc, then a shirt and jeans wouldnt give the wrong image, or even a polo shirt.

if u really want to be safe, and this is just me tlaking here, i would suggest you get him a dishdasha (the national dress) :P

Lol - wouldnt that be known as "brown nosing"??

I appreciate all of your advice - he will be wearing his suit with tie (may die from heat exhaustion) for the interviews.

I have today purchased him a nice pair of smart linen trousers and a linen shirt to wear for the school and accomadation tours - he looks rather dishy (even if I do say so myself)!!! ;);)
Em x

Hi Emma, visit the website link below, its quite informative...

kwintessential.co.uk/resources/global-etiquette/kuwait-country-profile.html

Good Luck to your husband!

Hi Emma!

You and your family were on my mind this week!  I am curious how things went for your husband, his impressions and so forth of Kuwait. 

We are currently finalizing details for our move to Kuwait, and would value any feedback/insights at all from you and your husband!

All the best!

Hi Expat Mommy!!

Hubby flew home on Wednesday night. He loved Kuwait!! We should know whether he has the job on Sunday - I will update you asap. Thanks for thinking of us xx

Sundays are working days. Friday and Saturday are weekend holidays..sometimes a lot of holidays show up in a month.holidays are something that government and Kuwaiti people look forward for.

*everyone* looks forward to holidays! :cool:

yes it is,u see this February during their national and liberation day they gave 2 weeks holidays,and some of them got more. but it gets boring when you dont have anything planned for them coming.

Em,

You kept us all waiting for the final outcome... was he accepted? :D

Hi Em, did you husband get the job? My husband has just been offered a job in Kuwait to! I'm off out there to see it in two weeks! Looking forward to it.

Kate

this post is from 2011 :P

Whoops! 😁

Hi Kate,

Did you not come out in August?

Where abouts will you be staying?.

Hi Sharon,

Sorry we didn't get to speak, we played phone tag! Didn't get to come out as we couldn't view the schools so having a whirlwind trip arriving on 12th leaving in the 14th! I'm not sure where we are staying yet the company has organised everything eg tour of Kuwait, estate agents, school visits so we'll have a better feel.

Are you back in Kuwait?

Kate