Married with brazalian woman

hi

i am pakistani national and living in uk on student visa

but my girlfriend is brazlian national and living in brazil .

she have visited me in uk

now we want to get marry

can anyone give us good advice in this concern

1. should i go to brazil

2. which visa i should apply now

3. whats documents i  will need for this purpose

any help highly appreciated

thanks

Hi and welcome on the forum cris123!

I hope other members will be able to advise you soon ;)

Regards
Armand

Hi Lahore,

I am an American living in Brazil, and welcome the opportunity to help a Pakistani!

You should contact the Brazilian Embassy in London, and tell them your situation.  Other advice you get may be wrong.

Good luck!

Cheers, Douglas

I agree with Douglas! There's a lot of paperwork and you'll want to make sure you have all the documents you need!

I am a Canadian who has been living in Brazil for over 9 years and married to a Brazilian woman.

The easiest way to come to Brazil is on a tourist visa, valid for 3 months and is extendable for an additional three months at the Federal Police headquarters nearest where you will be living.

First of all it will be necessary to get all the paperwork and documentation you will need in order to get married ready before you come to Brazil, that will make things a whole lot easier.

You will need a certified copy of your Birth Certificate, the document must show the names and origin of both of your parents, your date and place of birth. This must then be translated into Portuguese by a legal translator in Brazil or the Consulate. You also need certified copies of all your travel documents, passport, visa, etc. This you can do at any cartório (registry) once here in Brazil. If you are divorced you must also provide a certified copy of your Certificate of Divorce, also translated.

Your Brazilian partner must produce all of his/her documents Registro Geral, CPF, etc. then the Cartório das Pessoas Naturais will set the date for a civil marriage.

Note that ALL documents and translations must be current, NOTHING issued any more than six months before the documents are delivered to the cartório will be accepted. Also you may want to have your Brazilian (Portuguese speaking) partner check the regulations at the cartório where you intend to marry. Regulations seem to vary from state to state. I got married in São Paulo, for example, because the document requirements were simpler. You may a wish to arrange a local lawyer to handle all the details at the cartório as well, generally the public service workers are much easier to deal with when it's a transaction with someone known to them.

As long as you are in the country legally, all travel documents up to date and have all the necessae ry documents in order... it is your legal right to get married here in Brazil, foreigner or not.

Once you are married then you present yourself to the Federal Police, produce the documents they require and a Certified Criminal Record check from your country of origin (you must not have any convictions) and apply for your permanent visa. Be prepared for a very long wait for the process to be completed, sometimes years.

A civil marriage gives you the right to remain in the country legally while the process is taking place. But you have to get all of this paperwork done and enter the permancy process within the 6 month validity of your stay on an extended tourist visa.

Another thing to be aware of is the Criminal Record Check in your home country, that can take a long time to process so you might want to start that before you come to Brazil. The document "Atestado de Antecedentes Criminis" must then be legalized by the Brazilian Consulate in your country of origin while still current. Once legalized, that document does not lose its validity, it does not fall under the six month rule any longer.

The process, whether married or not, takes forever! Should you have a child with your Brazilian partner before the permancy process is concluded, re-apply immediately for a permanent visa based on having a Brazilian child. It is almost automatic.

hello wjwoodward ,

Sorry to jump in on this threat.
Are you aware by chance, of the international treaty regarding mercosur members state ?
http://portal.mj.gov.br/main.asp?View=% … 0F4CB26%7D

Anyone knows how this treaty is implement on the practice?
thanks a lot

Paulo,

I knew about the agreement between the Mercosul nations, but am not very familiar with how exactly it works.

One thing that I will say though, if they treat this agreement in any way similar to their treatment of the Amnesty for Foreigner's Law which was also enacted around the same time they are probably making it every bit as difficult for those seeking permanent visas under this agreement as they are for those under Amnesty.

What particular part of the agreement are you looking for information about?

Cheers,
William James Woodward - Brazil Animator, Expat-blog Team

thanks William James Woodward ,

I would be highly interested about the possibility of citizen of Paraguay for example , beeing able to work and live in Brazil legaly, without the hasle of all the administrative lets say an European have to deal with.

Do you have any input on this process ? Thanks for sharing !

Paulo

Hi Paulo,

I really think the excessive bureaucracy long delays in processing an visa application would be exactly the same.

What I think is different is that citizens of Mercosul countries are able to apply for permanent residency solely based upon their citizenship (i.e. they do not need to apply based on marriage or stable union with a Brazilian, Brazilian child, etc.)

All of the other requirements and documentation required seem to be exactly the same as for applicants from any other country.

Sorry to burst your bubble, nothing is ever easy here!

Cheers,
William James Woodward - Brazil Animator, Expat-blog Team