We are coming to Corozol later this month

we would like to meet others that have moved to Belize from the USA while we are there. Would you be willing to share a meal with us and possibly show us around a little? We would like to hear from you.   Thanks  Scott and Susie

Welcome on Expat-Blog Scott and Susie ;)

Just answered your PM(private message)hope to see you in Corozal, gave you all my info.

Hi Scott and Susie.  We are coiming to Corozal, as well as Cayo next week (7/8-7/19.  How did you find Corozal?  We've had some excellent guidance by Wealthships, as well as many, many blogs and communications with realtors, with whom we'll meet during our trip.  If necessary, we are free to make another trip in September.  But we're really hoping we will have made a decision by that time.  We are following the advice of just about everybody and renting first for maybe six months.  In that time, we can make sure this is the area for us and can take our time either buying outright or arranging for a house to be built.  Anyway, we'd love to know what your observations were about Corozal.
Cheers,
John and Toni

Thanks for the compliment, Toni.  Looking forward to meeting John and you soon. 

Sharon

I went to Corozal 2 month ago and was very unimpressed (I'm being kind).  It seemed desolate and deteriorated.  I suppose 2 people can see the same place and one sees a crumbling town while the other sees huge potential.  There are no decent restaurants, let alone good ones.  It is right on the Caribbean and close to Quintana Roo, so it has that going for it.  Still, even the hotel where we stayed was 2-star at best and not very customer-friendly.  We had planned to stay 2 days and 2 nights but checked out after the first night and went to Belize City to catch our flight back home.  In my humble opinion, Corozal is very rough around the edges but maybe that's what you're looking for.

Russ, that is so true!  There are many people that call Corozal home and love it.  You said in another stream that your favorite was Ambergris Caye - I didn't like it there at all and ended up moving to San Ignacio.  So yes, Scott & Susie, advice from everyone here is great, but only you will know for sure what you like once you arrive.

Also, heard an interesting tidbit from a Corozal local that recently the Belize Master Tourism board has alloted $26 million for improvements to Ambergris Caye, Placencia, Cayo, and Belize City. The resident stopped by the BTB to ask why not Corozal, and after hysterically laughing at her, said they view Corozal as a pitstop on the way to Belize City - does not bode well for that area!

Sharon Hiebing

I think calling Corozal a pitstop is very short-sighted; It's just not filled with things to do, as a few other areas are.  But, if you want Disneyland or more touristy areas, you go to Ambergris or maybe Placentia.  Not everybody envisions themselves living in an episode of House Hunters International.  The deal is to take a close and honest look at your life style and then just find the area that works for you.  I've lived in large cities all my life and find now that kicking back in a rural area suits me fine.

Toni, I think you might have missed the point of my post. The Belize Tourism Board said that (unbelievably). They are the ones who decide what dollars to put towards what villages to attract tourists, which ultimately is good for all residents (beautification, better roads, more attractions, etc).

So to hear them call Corozal a pitstop just gives you an idea of what their plans there are - basically none!!! So if you want to move there, you definitely better like it just the way it is, because it won't be changing any time soon.

We have out house, half way between Corozal and Consejo with 4 acres on the sea for 12 years now.  Having said this, I have to admit that Corozal is not a destination stop for tourism.  It is what it is, for most this means it is a jump off spot for those going to Mexico/Free Zone or for those who are coming from Mexico.  Even this has slowed down since the boat service started from Chetumal to San Pedro, as not there is no need to come to Corozal to take the Thunderbolt or plane to San Pedro.

Those of us who have chosen the Corozal area, love it there, but we are not tourists.  We have a thriving expat community, that keeps you as busy as you'd like to be. If we feel the need to venture to a big city with all the usual MacDonalds, Walmart and shopping malls, we can be there in minutes.

polarbearva, sorry you didn't enjoy your one night stay.  But saying there "are no good restaurants" is untrue.  There are many, but like anywhere you have to know where they are.  Hotels, again, there are some very nice ones, such as Almond Tree Resort.  But you are no different than many who have arrived in Corozal.  If you had given it a couple of days, met a few of the expats and got to experience a little more of life, perhaps you would have a different opinion.  One day anywhere, does not make you an expert on what it is like.

Dave, I never claimed to be an expert.  I was merely sharing our impressions.  First impressions are lasting.  As for good restaurants, we drove around Corozal for a while looking for ANY restaurants, let alone good ones, and did not find anyplace we felt comfortable eating.  To your point, we did not know where to find them but we figured restaurants should not be hard to find.  It's possible we completely missed the good side of Corozal but we sure did look for it and came up short. 

Incidentally, I'm not being critical of your choice to settle there.  As you said, it's not for everyone.  My purpose in commenting on the blog was to offer my impressions, which I wish someone had done for us before we planned to spend 2 full days amd nights there.  For your part, you could help potential visitors by pointing out where the action is, specifically where the good restaurants are and how to link up with some expats.  We were only able to find a couple expats at the open-air bar right on the beach just beyond Tony's Inn, but they were too new to the town to know much.

Polarbearva,
I really liked Corozal, but I do understand your comments.  Again, I do think it comes down to your lifestyle.  I don't think Corozal will ever be the tourist magnet that Ambergris or Placentia are, because of the lack of those things that bring'em in:  Good restaurants, white sandy beaches, interesting archeological places.  That's why it was distressing to hear that the Belize Tourist folks reportedly are not applying funding to the Corozal District.  On the other hand, if you want to build a gorgeous house with a view of the often quite beautiful Bay of Chetamal and limit your high times to a day trip into Chetamal with the very upscale Baia Avenue (fern bars, nice restaurants and night clubs, a great Mall with a Macy's kinda store ("Liverpool's"), and a Walmarts, for Heaven's sake.  I tend to be a couch potato and, as long as I have a great front porch and the Internet, I'm happy.  I guess in short, no place is bad really; it's just up to the expat to really examine their lifestyle and fit it to the area.  By the way, a GREAT Corozal resource is Greg, the expat owner of Copa Banana, a lovely little bright yellow Bed and Breakfast on the same street as Tony's Inn.  He's a real estate guy, an entrepreneur and an all around character.  All expats in Corozal should be required to stop by and say, "Hello." Greg showed us around and took us to some very Belizean places to eat (upscale, no, but fun). Enough preaching...I'm still having a ball trying to figure this all out!  Good luck to us all.

Hello from Canada, I have booked the coral cottages for 2 weeks in 2017 my 60h B day. I know my husband and myself will enjoy it, have looked at .Corizol for a long time to eventually end up.
My question is are the animal rescue groups specifically dog with spay neuter programs I am a kennel operator and with would be an interest of mine. If so are the vets on board with this?
Any info would be helpful.

Hello Happybevy and welcome on board :)

For your info, this thread has been inactive since 2011, you may not receive any response here.

You may create a new thread, to present yourself and ask for relevant assistance from members of the Belize community.

Regards
Kenjee

I spent a short period in Corozal, and I liked what I saw. I shall return, soon to live and become an expat. I guess it depends on the individual. I found a nice hotel and some good food. No, there isn't the flair of tourist attractions, but as a general rule for myself is "not to play, where I lay". I like peace of mind when I'm at home, and that's the way I see Corozal, as home. If I want to be on the party track, then I can go to where the tourist hang out. So, it really is about what you like, and not what you don't. Do your homework and you won't get disappointed. I enjoyed the atmosphere and the people.
About the pet rescue. Do the pets really want to be rescued, then caged. Or would they rather be left alone to live free like the people. Besides those are someone else's pet and they come and go as they please. I watched a few dogs, after they were done doing what dogs do, roam, they went back home. The thing that came to my mind was the TV commercials about the pets. Maybe the injured ones could use some help, but they belong to somebody too and just want to be left alone. Part of the beauty here is the lack of our US American ways. I think that's why most people move to places like Corozal, to get away from the way things are in the US. Consider the impact of your cause, whether it is helpful, or bothersome. Why do we as Americans always want to change things. To me, it's understandable why some cultures don't want us in their homeland. I'm just noting that areas have been surviving without our impact on others. Enjoying things just the way they are, is why I want to be an Expat.
What ever choice one makes, I hope you find enjoyment.

Larry.

Hi HappyBevy ...We are staying there next week...did you book Orchid or Hummingbird? I will try to remember to ask about the rescue groups for you :)
Cheers,
Cheryl

Great post Larry and I agree with everything you said

Thanks Jimmielee. I am hoping to escape from the way to things are going in the States. I believe that we sometimes put our influence where they aren't welcomed, but for the greater good, things are allowed. It's like the line from Star Trek's alien Borgs..."resistance is futile, you will be assimilated "...lol!

Hi, sorry I didn't get back to you sooner too many emails to sort thru I guess. I admit I don't know which one I booked, I thought they were both the same layout they would just choose one. I will ask.
Do you know the difference or are you staying in the same place maybe?
Thanks for your interest.

Thanks Larry for the thoughts about rescue. Definitely a different way of looking at it, it was mostly the spay//neuter and needles I was into, too many dogs making too many dogs.  Dogs only living maybe 3 years and then dying of disease.  I wasn't necessarily talking about re-homing them, too much work housing them all. Just like here where I am people will trap stray cats in bulk and certain days of the week the cats are taken up to SPCA and all fixed and needled and they let them go again, they cut off the top of their ear so everyone knows they are done.  I do hear you about bringing our ideas elsewhere and perhaps not wanted or needed. Thanks again.

Just a story about cultural attitudes and pets. often early on a sunday morning a pack of dogs come roaring onto our property my sons dog barks wildly pack runs around then heads back to town. My sons theory  is that these are family owned yard dogs and are just let out on sunday mornings for exersize most look well nourished, and some have collars on.
About the end of April 6 oclock one sunday morning he was woken by the barking, went out on the verandah did the usual yelling and the dogs roared off. But as they had left he saw there was a puppy still by the house he went down to it the pup yapped excitedly ran up to him and attacked his size 13 feet. his own dog rather gently pushed it away and the two dogs went under the house lay  down and pup fell sound asleep. over the next week or so he made as much effort as he could to find the owner as the pup was obviously used to people and  well fed. He thought it must be missed family pet that was trying to join the big dogs. So having photographed it and made posters to put up in town he was surprised to find pictures of the dog already up saying 'found' but the day before he found his and this was found straying in town. On further examination realised it wasnt the same dog but obviously a sibling as the size, guessed at age, and siilarity in apearance to his were too striking to be other.
So he decided he had better own, the pup and give at name. His older dog seemed happy enough with the company.the only problem came at trying to put a collar on it, it hated it and fought against it, then when he went to add a leash the pup was frantic almost choking and hurting itself to get off it. My son surmised it had been fastened up to become a yard dog at its very young age and was terrified. over the weeks he has managed to get its confidence enough to take it on the leash for a walk but if he tries to fasten the leash to Anything while he pops inside it becomes frantic.
Being a sensible young man he arranged with the vet neuter him now while still young, if he cant tie him up he doesn't want it roaming the countryside looking for a bitch in heat. the reaction to this suggestion from Belezeans has been horror at the very idea, as the lady in the smart store said "but that means he will never have babies" which is kind of the point really. Many Belezians while accepting the spaying of a female dog, especialy if a good guard dog, so as not to have litter after litter of puppies find the idea of neutering the male dogs is cruel.  He has had the deed done, last week but is no longer mentioning it to local friends when they enquire into the pups health.

Terrific talked about the Belizian concept of non-neuter as emasculating the dog. Yes I have run into this with many of my southern European customers (I am a dog groomer) they have no problem with a spayed female just the neutering of the male dogs. I think (I could be wrong) that they relate it to themselves and the Latin American culture is patriarchal
so I do understand this. Maybe we should just go with the flow and if we/and locals want the dog population  to diminish see if the local people will go along with female spay instead. Only a thought.