Do and don't in Saudi Arabia

Maybe I could become like Lawrence of Arabia!!1:P

OneManArmy wrote:

Maybe I could become like Lawrence of Arabia!!1:P

:dumbom:

Hi all of you...

It's been now 9 months since i have started a new life in Saudi Arabia.I'm leaving in Jeddah , by the red sea coast for those who do not have an idea about, so is different from other regions within the kingdom i think . I grew up in Tunis . Even though tunisia Is a muslim North African country, but still, living in KSA is completely different .. I have experienced a cultural shock myself. In my country , woman do not have to wear the full scarf and " abaya", they have all their rights ( driving, divoce, vote ect..)

The advantage comparing with other NON arab expatriates is that i do speak the language  so i could communicate whith them properly.For your info, in the middle east countries ( qatar, yemen, Emirates, Saudi arabia ect) they speak the litterary classic arabic , for us ( algerians , tunisians & moroccans) we speak another dialect but still, can understand them is like South african , canadian irish and American english..anyway let's go!

Very important : Please bare in MIND the lifestyle conditions prior to live in the kingdom for those who are planning to relocate as it might be a big step to make and a hard decision to Undertake , it can be so different from what you thought.

Okay , another advantage is that i'm working as Cabin Crew so at least i could have a breath from time to time in visiting other countries and not staying all day long there.

But sometimes you have to , and when you've got 3 days off, YOU GO OUT immediately and there are no entertainment places! No cinema, no bars ( forget about it :lol:) or disco.
The only thing you will intertain yourself with is  " SHOPPING" ,there are big malls in where you will find all kind brand you wish with many coffee shops, again males section and family section and so, you will spend all your money in there...!! you mean why not having discount tickets and book a flight to dubai for example? It could be nice but NEVER forget that every time you plan to quit to country for whatever reason, you have to aplly for an exit letter 5 days prior to your departure date and your sponsor has to give you an approval letter for that matter.

Definately, is really different from where i come from but i never said Tunisia is heaven ! It is not as strict as saudi arabia that's it..

Anyway,It is a life time experience and a challenge .
Guys let's meet if in Jeddah and let's share our experience ..

Greetings: The only example I've seen of an expat being required to use head covering (the pink cloth, or gutra I believe it's called), is when the expat is an Arab who works for a Saudi company or government agency, and it's the mandated attire for employees, along with the long gown, or thobe. I suppose it's hard to argue if it means you risk insubordination, as if there weren't a hundred other things to worry about. -pbn

Dont show up from vacation with labret piercings. Apparently the boss doesnt like it.

How to Survive in Saudi as a Western Woman
1. Live on a Western Compound.
2. Learn you have to dress modestly, ie keep your legs and arms covered.
3. Keep an Abhaya in the bottom of your handbag at all times.
4. Make sure you have access to a driver, otherwise your husband is going to hate going to the supermarket in his off time.  You can't drive yourself in this country.
5. The lack of Alcohol does not worry you after a while.  It was the lack of personal freedom that got to me when we lived there.  It is hard to adjust to being in what seems an alien environment.
6. Go to the local Mums and Tots group meetings even if you don't have children with you.  It is a good way to meet other expat women and make friends... you can always make the tea and coffee.

@ RICHnSEXY_Prince why your posting the same post everywhere  :rolleyes:

May be He is new and desparate to find good friends. Happens in the early days of life @ KSA !!!:P

wilson_derry wrote:

@ RICHnSEXY_Prince why your posting the same post everywhere  :rolleyes:

Do you think he's really rich and sexy and a prince?

:blink:

rich, sexy, prince and banned for one week

Julien wrote:

rich, sexy, prince and banned for 3 days

LOL!  You guys are so funny lately! :)

Alliecat wrote:
Julien wrote:

rich, sexy, prince and banned for 3 days

LOL!  You guys are so funny lately! :)

New user blocked so early lol with duplicate posting :P because he is rich, sexy and prince. lol

after reading his profile, I've banned him for 4 more days :rolleyes:

saimans wrote:

May be He is new and desparate to find good friends. Happens in the early days of life @ KSA !!!:P

May be his aggressive for posting duplicate post..so anyhow welcome to Expat.com. :P

Maybe no one gave him a warm welcome so the reason he was posting all over :lol:

juanfranlopez wrote:

Hi Desertgirl,

I do not know what you mean by that "something" that draws people back to Saudi. I came to this weird country 3 months ago and honestly this place is not a big deal. I have lived in Germany, Mexico and South Africa and this country is by far the most difficult to get used to. And not rewarding. In fact, I would say that I am about to die of boredom. Yes, my friends, one thing I have learned by heart is that it is possible to die of boredom. Let's enumerate some actual facts that any not-blind expat can easily apprehend:

- no alcohol: no beer, no wine, no spirituous drinks.
- no drugs: no marihuana
- no dating, no women of any kind (except your wife -santa esposa-)
- no pubs, no discos. no place to dance
- no cinemas
- no social life with saudies. No integration. I started to study arabic but stopped as soon as I realized that I will have no contact with saudies out of work environments. And in work environments English is enough.
- no Bibles here. No churches. Do you need to pray? Do it at home. Or become a Muslim. "Islam, the religion of Justice and Tolerance", I hear that every morning in Radio Riyadh. In Spain we have a wonderful saying: "tell me what you show off and I will tell you what you lack"
- 41 degrees celsius yesterday. And increasing. It'll reach 50 in July. Nice! I am looking forward it.
- you like sand? welcome to sand-storming-land. Feeling sand in your lungs is a nice sensation you cannot possibly miss.

I could follow on, but then I would have to talk about more private local customs, politics, religious affairs... and I prefer not doing that. This is not my home country and I do not have the right to critizise. Anyway, I wouldnt say that Freedom and Democracy are the main values you can find here.

However, trying to be positive I would say that there is a very good thing: you don pay taxes here and can save 80% of your salary.

Just waiting for the improvement of the economical situation in more "friendly" countries.

Best Regards,

juan

If you are in Riyadh it will be a little difficult ,but if you are in Eastern region, west ren it will be more interesting.

for all your comments in this blog one also has to give the Saudis there due in providing opportunites to expats to work in their land.
you have to the respect the culture and follow the rules anywhere in the world you go
if it seems a little too harsh for westerners then they should avoid the land rather than reach there and complain about them

am from India and I feel every west asian nation have their own set of cultural sensibilities and they are essentially much more accomodative than a lot of other countries so to say

its just the way teach others to behave with you.....

when you are in Rome you should be like the romans

its their land, their culture....you contribute to their economy and get paid handsomely for it...

so if I were you...I would take it and accept it the way it is or leave it! simple!

musicman wrote:

Alamographics, please note tpo ensure that all he software, esp Microsoft, on yr PC is licensed. They are checking for piracy at the airport now.

Are you serious?

How do they search what is inside of a notebook?

life in Saudi is just fantastic

Hello!
Thinking of moving to Saudi and just wondering what to expect as a single British female? I'm hoping to teach English. Does anyone know any single women who have moved and are happy? This may sound ignorant, but can a female have a bank account? If anyone has any advice or is someone (or knows somebody) who moved to teach as a single female, please let me know, as I guess I will be pretty vulnerable and want to avoid scams :) thank you!
Kate

Kate713 wrote:

Hello!
Thinking of moving to Saudi and just wondering what to expect as a single British female? I'm hoping to teach English. Does anyone know any single women who have moved and are happy? This may sound ignorant, but can a female have a bank account? If anyone has any advice or is someone (or knows somebody) who moved to teach as a single female, please let me know, as I guess I will be pretty vulnerable and want to avoid scams :) thank you!
Kate

Take out some time, Go through the threads on this forum, the whole encylopedia is waiting for you !! :)

@Kate713, as saimans has said, there's a mountain of information on this blog.  Read through it to get the overview and then if you have specific questions, please do ask! :)

kossay2nd wrote:

life in Saudi is just fantastic

Yep.. and that explains why you're in Bahrain, eh? :P

I agree with Somraj,everyones aware what it's like here when it comes to certain restrictions if you feel you can't handle it,and that its going to be too much for you to handle then just don't come it's simple,rather than complain all the time and make unkind remarks about the religion. The truth is people want to work here knowing all the drawbacks for one reason MONEY,if you want to save for the future and not pay taxes this is the place,no one put a gun to anybodies head to apply for the job.

Yep there are many things here that are difficult to get used to and SOME people can be unfriendly,but at the end of the day weigh it up can you do it or are you going to be here constantly whining and cursing behind closed doors. It's up to you look at the positives and learn to deal with the negatives,focusing on the things you don't like will only make you miserable. Don't leave home if you know giving up things is  hard for you,or being open to a different culture.

@nayah  :one

I've said much the same thing on many occasions! 

Now this isn't to say I'd defending the bad employers, by any means, but they'd be bad employers no matter what the country.

will be working in Dammam soon...What are the do's and don'ts please thanks...

olihular wrote:

will be working in Dammam soon...What are the do's and don'ts please thanks...

Since Dammam is in Saudi Arabia, this *very* thread, "Do and don't in Saudi Arabia," will help you.  Amazing, ain't it? :P

juanfranlopez wrote:

Thank you for your good wishes. Yes, Saudi has proved to much for this poor guy...

One thing I liked a lot in Saudi is that women cannot drive. In my opinion this is a very wise ban: streets, roads, parking lots, alleys and highways are much safer in this way :D

juan

Lopez, are you Spanish? I speak Sapnish too. I live in U.S. and yes i hate driving. Hoghways are a pain in the back! I believe that driving is something that allowes  you to have fun. Waisting your life in fun is a wise ban, true.

I think they have other means of ransportation. Do you?

Hi all

I dont feel bored here and i enjoy living here.

I have few friend and also not all the time go out with them, once in 2 weeks time, coz most of my time i do revision.

Have nice stay here :)

do and don't in Saudi Arabia

Hello gabby tobias.

An introduction may be :rolleyes:

Do you have any partcular informations to share with us on this subject?

Thanks

Karen :)

Karen, any chance of this thread being a stickie?  There's a lot of worthwhile info here and up till now it's been buried!

Hello Alliecat.

Topic sticked. ;)

Aurélie

Aurélie wrote:

Hello Alliecat.

Topic sticked. ;)

Aurélie

:one

[Moderated: Off topic]

Hey folks
I'm new to the site and saw this topic.
Im a local so if you need any help just shoot me a msg
Till then
Pay it forward

Local Brownie wrote:

Hey folks
Till then
Pay it forward

Hi Brownie, people are encouraged to ask/answer questions on the forum (rather than privately) so that everybody can benefit :)

Alliecat wrote:
Local Brownie wrote:

Hey folks
Till then
Pay it forward

Hi Brownie, people are encouraged to ask/answer questions on the forum (rather than privately) so that everybody can benefit :)

Hello Allicat
Thank you for pointing that out, never thought of it that way =)

Bring on the questions people! =p

Expat.com wrote:

Are you living in Saudi Arabia? We need you to share your experience of the local customs :)

Is it difficult to adjust to the local customs in Saudi Arabia?

Could you please share with us a list of the do's and don't's in Saudi Arabia?

Thanks!

DO follow the Laws and DON'T be against the Laws....

i don't know what solman is try to say and wanna prove?   simple conclusion is this that the lady who said lot about Saudi culture and she is praising western culture ..... for her kind information her perception is totally wrong and she is imposing her biased  opinion... ( e.g  in Que saudi man can push u and u cant do any thing .. i have seen many countries ,, i think this is only country on earth where every women is being treated like princess and lot of respect and safety...

even though im also suffering boredom and missing my homeland culture and there are many restriction in Saudi culture ... but there is no discrimination in this culture for western , Asians  or studies... specially western expat are receiving respect protocol, and enjoying their social , economic and prestigious life here which the cant even think about in western culture.

girls
friends
drinks
discoes
parties
social interaction
luxuries of life

all are widely available in western compounds ( as iam living in compound since 8 years)

as for as religion concern
u can u have full freedom to perform ur religious activities at ur home compound ur embassy or in ur social circle.
u can bring any sort of religious books for ur personal use openly.
yes

this is bad country and not like ur homeland and ur culture ..

where u work 12 hrs and even cant earn to fulfill the taxation requirements ,, and here your earning and saving millions and living in wide and lavish homes in safe and sound walled areas with all of recreational facilities in side.whereas in ur countries even ur president and VIPS cant even have this sort of facilities,.
and yes it is different than ur culture because

here there is no theft
no robbery
no rap
no domestic violence
no HIV
no discrimination on the basis of religion
no taxes.
no utility billing ( in ur countries u guys  always stuck in worries to  pay ur bills)

no homeless ppl ( thousands can be found in western countries streets at night)

no drug addicts.
no children with arms who can fire in schools.

and again if u wanna be naked and don't like abaya u have enough space in ur compounds to be relaxed.

and at the end .. all of u came here by ur choice just for money ....... Saudis didn't force  u to do this....the trut is that u came for money which is biggest power and biggest dream of ur life to fulfill all ur needs.
              so this desert is goldmine for u guys....

Expat.com wrote:

Are you living going to Saudi Arabia? We need you to share your experience of the local customs :)

Is it difficult to adjust to the local customs in Saudi Arabia?

Could you please share with us a list of the do's and don't's in Saudi Arabia?

Thanks!

I have read some great comments here, and I would like to add some do's, (and I will add do not's sometime later)

Do's (before you get to the Kingdom)

1- Get everything you could claimed by the travel/employment agency officially documented and seek the inquiry of other refrences of claims validation.

2- Use your judgement and do your own research about what is OK and what is not to do. Compare that to the experience of others, but always rely on official sources to stand on higher/tougher grounds. Always look up questions you wonder, as answers might serve you the day when you need them.

3- Remember, what applies to others might not apply to you, and vice versa, so find what applies to you.

3- Understand that Saudi Arabia has its positives and negatives, just like any other country in the world. So balance things out  before you arrive here.

4- Plan ahead of time. I would do my research a year+  in time before I get to the country of interest for residency. Sometimes unplanned difficulties, such as financial obligations and/or family and governmental problems, may arise or take time to settle. In addition, this way you would be more resourceful and help yourself/others encountering these difficulties.

5- Saudi Arabian Embassy/ Government Offices are Almost always a more reliable source of information than the employment/travelling agency.

6- If you were declined employment/VISA, I would advise you know that

a- You could re-apply and try again and
b- You must know that this is NOT the end of the world, and that your experience and qualifications are definitely needed else where.

7- Just like you could use your judgement, official and reliable resources for information, you could use the same with planning the optimal use of agency/employer/accommodation/transportation you could afford.

8- I want to emphasize the accommodation and VISA statuses. Many users in this forum have encountered difficulty proceeding with the proper procedure/time to get the job done, and most encountered hardships dealing with these difficulties.

Do's (When you get to the Kingdom)

1- Obey The Law, and I repeat, Obey The Law. I cannot stretch nor emphasize this far enough. Please Stay Safe! and make noone have anything over you (black-mailing, etc.) or loopholes against you by obeying the law. What you can get away with once or twice might not last you one more time. Remember that the country may have some extremely harsh punishment for breaking the law.

2- Find good people, whether of the same nationality or not, who are reliable and could assist you and guide you just like you could assist them and support them. Have the good intention in people, but never put your absolute trust in anyone.

3- Compounds might be a better option for those whose lifestyle at home country is wildly different than that in the Kingdom. However, you may decide to live the life outside the comounds just like millions of residents do when you get to familiarize yourself with the coutnry a little better. Know that finding housing outside the licensed compounds is very easy.

4- Have a reliable mean(s) of accommodation and transportation to work/kid(s)' school/ spouse's place of work.

5- Know that some employers DO practice loopholes and twists over the law to prevent you, or grant you, some of your privilages. Always look up for that and consult with those you trust about it. What might be given you now might be removed in double later/ or more! So the advice concerning law abiding is not a bad idea.

6- Know that Transportation is very cheap, relative to many countries in the world. However, suitable accommodation might be expensive. So find what suites you best.

7- Bring your electronic devices with you, i.e., Your laptop/smartphone/DVD Player/ Walkman/ Console games/Musical Instruments and anything that can keep you occupied when bored. Yes it could be incredibily boring in here at times. Remember to (delete/save on an external drive) things that are illegal to Saudi, like adult materials, sensitive information, and even some religious materials, and avoid having that into the country. Most electronic devices/subscriptions are available here, but bringing ones you already have might save you some time and money.

8- Be Honest when asked questions by official sources or refrain yourself from answering, but pelase do not lie, as sometimes they (already know/can provide proves and resources) of correct information, which may end you up in a giant trouble.

________

Some do not's will be provided later on.

Please feel free to copy/distribute materials in this post written by me at your own responsibility.

Deyaa1989,