Do and don't in Saudi Arabia

Not everyone or everything is bad, anywhere on the globe. What we need to understand is wherther we are in a position toi be ablke to fit in to the life, culture, manners, ethics, rules, regulations and laws in those places we choose to visit, live , work and intrecat with.

Once we are tied down by regulatory laws and conditions then life can be extremely difficult to obtain redress however just and fair our needs may be.

We cannot expect the sdame democratic process we are used to back in our home nations to be applied in the many situations we may face in other parts of the globe.

When a third worlder applies for a visa to enter the USA or Europe, the Embassies have a RIGHT to REFUSE without giving the applicant any good reason, whatsoever. This, in my view, is undemocratic and violates human rights, but it is still enforced by so many nations who espouse democracy across the globe. Similarly other nations also impose certain difficult conditions and rulkes on thiose who visit, live, work and even choose to marry their citizens. No doubt the severity and impacts will differ from place to place.

Thats the way the wind blows on this big blue marble of ours!

hi every one how r u ?
I am egyptian civil engineer and i live in riyadh since dec. 2008.for me this ountry is very different than egypt but i like coz my salary is good and i can save money but only one problem its hard to have friends from any kind specialy girls but i try all the time i cant stay alone my email [email protected] and my cell phone in saudi 0553145095 and 0542663672 i am waiting for friends

A bit of advice: you can't wait for friends.  You have to go out and actively seek people and things to do.  Easier said than done--trust me, I know lol

Greetings.
I've a job offer to KSA...
I'm a married gay and i don't know if i'd have problems living my private life at home.
We are descreet and though we know it'd be difficult we want to make the step to this, not only economical, interessant experience...
what about taking my pets there?
are them allowed.. they're just 2 small dogs...

Hi guy: Oddly enough, male bonding seems almost a part of the culture here if you look at the behaviors of the very Saudi males who go around kissing each other upon greeting. Also common - men of all nationalities are seen holding hands in public and on many occasions I've observed young men massaging each other in rather affectionate ways. Now keep in mind this is a place where the Vice squad (Commission for the Prosecution of Vice and the Protection of Virtue) routinely rounds up "suspects" for crimes ranging from minor infractions such as young males flirting with burga clad gals in the malls to the truly offensive such as single males meeting with single women anywhere, even in or especially in private. In some places, such as Rehmaniya Mall in Khobar, you'll often see Philipinos prancing about like sorority debutantes (sometimes with almost as much makeup) as they vie for the affection of their fellow lads. Does anyone care to challenge me on this. I've been here six months and I've seen behavior that would make some of my fellow New Yorkers in the Village section of Manhattan blush.

hope u enjoy ur time here. i think u can carry ur pets here, as i have seen a person once carrying a small dobermann in a dog cage at jeddah airport.
Hope you know of all the vaccine and the passport kinda thing for pets while traveling...

God, that's interesting, i'd go home and read all that thread tonight @@ have no time at work...

but juan :D very exact points @@

No not at all if we compare an others countries.K.S.A is peace and good living place.

^ Depends on what country I am comparing it to and what I define as "good living", don't you think?

Here comes another Fatawa:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co … 01034.html

Hi everyone.

I am soon to start a job with Aramco. I will not be a direct hire, so I assume I cannot stay in the compound. I am excited but very nervous also. I currently live in Alberta. I am wondering what life will be like outside the compound.

What do I do with my time off, I will work Mon-Friday

They say there is no dating or sex?, what is the situation on this. I am single and wondering what can my social life be like with either ladies from Ras Tanura or other ladies working there. Can a guy date?

What shall I wear when I am out in public or rnning for exercise, are there gyms to work out in?

I guess there is no drinking except in the compounds?

I also have not seen any places to rent online, are there places and how much can I exspect to pay?

I know I have alot of questions, the more information and points of view I get will help me alot, thank you in advance

Moderators,I would suggest to make the topic "Sticky" Its a valuable Topic

The topic has been sticked. ;)

Thanks Christine :)

Christine wrote:

The topic has been sticked. ;)

My Smart discussion 7 No wonder it was prompt :) .More than any other country the Expats really need to know about Do & don't of Saudia and usually these topics get piled under new and less imp topics.

Big road, fast cars, and lots of food. expect that in saudi

I am new at this, the more someone can tell me,it would be awesome

Hello RobertP, Welcome to Expat.com

Can you provide us with more details about what do you mean by: "I am new at this". If you need help in using the website, you can contact us.

Yud :)

Hi Robert:

You wrote elsewhere and I posted a reply. If you message me, I'll send you my number. Our apartment buildings has a number of Westerners who are of a somewhat common consensus that the compounds you will be allowed to live in are a bit overpriced. I'll be glad to share some information regarding the place. If you choose to live in the Suwaidi or Tamimi compounds as some of the teachers here in Rahima do, then you will likely pay more for less space but some teachers like the amenities offered such as a pool, tennis courts and meal times that are uninterrupted by prayer times, one of the biggest inconveniences here in Saudi Arabia. Places, especially eating facilities close down 5 times a day and most places simply throw out customers rather than let them stay to finish a meal they have paid for. It's one of the things that I have not yet gotten used to a year after moving here. Again, it's just an inconvenience but a rather big one for many people here as it punctuates your day, including meal times, which for many is the only time to relax with friends.

Again, if you wish to talk, just msg me for my number. -pbn

*Waving @ Alamo*

how are you doing? ;)

That would be great if I can chat to you and get some info

I really appreciate it

i agree Nomads

Hello
Of dispositional fear of moving from one place to another are different customs, traditions and cultures
Openness, which in the West and the mixing of the scary and Cherqin Istnkronh
, Is also very troubling to Arabia Grbin and frightening, is normal
A simple solution huh that all expatriate habitually manner in which the country Almqm to acclimate or spend its obligations and leave the
Valest a percentage of the veil is not bound by it for I must wear part shaved so as not to not be aware of different and dogged criticism and puzzlement, because it will be very conservative in the country of men did not Iatado Almrih Mtkhvh Falmer have a strange and great calls to the astonishment
Put them on some black Alon stop catching them they enjoy conservatively
The Saudi if she moved to the West to work or study Vhia one distinguishes it from the rest of the Arabs or Westerners in the West because they wear some Western Azia
As a percentage of the Hurriyet Algrbin and not fear and freedom Fmsdrh Ankmachehem themselves isolated and completely understand Kathm regret living in the shell and run away go to the supermarket Suer (for Olohieber) do not mix and Isilon does not smile and the truth are in a hurry to get out
I hope to identify them and run away scared to be intrusive or unwanted disposal of dry and silent
Kono final word on your nature does not Tqlqo people are good and respectful and friendly to a large degree Algrbin Pthoudarham and respect in their actions and Rekayam ................ I invitation to anxiety, fear and Alancmasc

Whenever Achttunm Balsaudin know Andmojtm temperament and in their community

NidalM wrote:

It's not as boring in Saudi Arabia as some might think. though usually you need to stay in the country for a longer time to get introduced to everything going on.

As you might understand, alot of what goes on is on the fringes of legality.

:rolleyes::cool:
Customs do not know
To foreigners, especially the West are much interested in and take a greater respect and enjoy more of the public services themselves Arabia. The views of their work provides them with a degree who was living in his country, and more
Arab custom controls strong even with the advent of civilization and even many years to come, but I think that does not affect the life of foreigners, including that they have the respect of their identity and their culture and customs

That is it! Enough:o:mad:

I wish I knew what the last few entries were bout, I really pick no sense out of them

RobertP, you are not alone!  :blink:

I suspect someone may be using Google translate or some such device. I do applaud his/her attempt at participating in the discoruse.

it is not hard to life in saudi arabia or any country around the world , but the main point is how you can mange your self with new culture ,  als you have to think that will take some time , and you have to ask your self how all thoes peole living here  and happy

uk1430 wrote:

it is not hard to life in saudi arabia or any country around the world , but the main point is how you can mange your self with new culture ,  als you have to think that will take some time , and you have to ask your self how all thoes peole living here  and happy

Ok, but who come from normal culture cant adapt with Saudi culture, I'm sorry to say that, but this is the fact, if you have a look for all discussion opened over forum expat you will see all people complain against the bored life here, I'm sure you cant fell our felling.

LIFE IN SAUDI ARABIA IS HARD. Saudi Arabia and for the most post, SAUDIS make it hard, REAL HARD. Maybe Saudis (particularly Saudi males) don't see that as they are a very privileged class and can get away with many MANY things that people in normal societies can't. I'm not saying at all that you can't adapt. I'm just saying, again, it is extremely difficult to live here, based on any measure and anyone that tells others the opposite is only doing him or HER, a big disservice. -pbn

I have a good advice regarding what not to do in Saudi Arabia ..

- Dont come here then start complaining about it.

Another advice about what to do when in Saudi Arabia ..

- Its an open door policy if you dont like it, simply leave.

Excuse me Captain. I didn't mean that as a complaint (if you're referring to me). This board is a forum to give personal insight and information on what it is and how it is, so that others can make up their own mind about whether to go or stay, or just vent if they want to. For you to give us the that line, "if you don't like it, leave it" , well, I say to you, if you don't like our comments, please go off to another Expat.com that sugar-coats everything that happens in the big KSA. Or maybe you're  as uninformed as other Compound Expats that live in their own little world where you can order champagne and sip it in your mixed gender lounges while most expats are busy working in the real Saudi Arabia.

peace guys, peace ! (please calm down)

Sorry alamographics, haven't read your post yet it's a generic advice .. 

Cheers,

Whew. I think it was late when I wrote that post - and I was still jetlagged from my flight into DFW from the middle east. Okay, I was kinda rough on the Captain. Sorry about that. I do think we should keep it real on the board, but I realize some tact is in order. For the record, I thank my blessings every day for my great teaching position in Saudi Arabia, along with a not too shabby (tax-free) salary. -pbn

This is my 1st experience with Ramadan...I will return to Riyadh in Sept and I cannot eat or drink during daylight hours..OK, I get that...
Can I chew gum to keep my mouth moist or do I have to suck the dusty desert air?

Ramadan finishes on Monday latest Tuesday, it can't be that hard for you to observe the custom here for that short time.:)

Just for the record. On our compound there is no champagne and we have to observe Ramadan whilst outside of our villas as well!!:cheers:

Yes, Saudi does seem to be quite boring although I have only been here for a short time.  I don't really see how it could get much more interesting either unless one finds ways of circumventing the rules to an extent.  Tell me I'm wrong.

Sandtrout, you're not too far away from the bridge to Bahrain. Yes, it's about 1 & 1/2 hours from Jubail to the causeway but you could be in Yanbu or some other Timbuktu camp. Being able to to cross the bridge, at least on weekends and spend time in what is pretty much a sane, relative free and Western friendly country, really takes the pressure off living and working in the KSA. Even if you don't venture out to KSA, the Khobar region on the Saudi side of Bahrain has some charm and pleasant coastal sites. Much of this is due to the vibrant Philipino community, with their shops, restaurants and pleasant Philipine attitude, and are a refreshing escape from the drab Saudi conservatism that blankets most of the country. Come on down sometime and check it out. I drive down most days just for the taste of adobo and empanadas with my kape con leche -pbn