Jobs for english speakers in Rio??

Hi guys,
im keen to find out if there are any websites or recruiters who gave jobs for english speaking professional in Rio. I am an irish female, late 20s with 10 years experience in all areas or the hotel, bar, nightclub and restaurant trade at a senior managemwnt level. But willing to take an average job so tgat ill get to experience Rio. I would greatly appreciate any.jnfo relating to finding a job in Rio.in this sector. Thanjs.

Welcome on board bluebirdbowe ;)

You can also try your luck by posting an advert on the Jobs section of Rio Classifieds Page.

Best Regards

Do you have the legal right to work in Brazil?

no.. how do i do thos?

Hi bluebird, i think it would be best for you to visit Rio as a traveler and look for a job then. You might get to Rio and realize it's not what it seems like in the movies! but if you already know Rio, then that's better because perhaps you have a friend there? unless you are working for a big multinational that is sending you to work in a foreign country, finding your own work without any connections is very difficult in Brazil. Brazil is a place where you have to know a friend of a friend of a friend in order to get a job. most jobs for English speakers who just pop in are reserved to English schools. you won't make much money though. as far as hotels go, im not sure they would be willing to do your visa paperwork. but it's possible depending on what position they offer if you apply. other than that, just use online resources for exchange programs or for actual jobs. but brazil works best in person, so you should job search here first :) good luck.

hey guys! ive been living in rio last year for 6 months and this year i am working for a company in sao paulo after returning to uk to collect visa and get a job, i am looking to move back to rio and looking for a company or job in rio, preferably the zona sul area!? was just wondering if anyone knew of anything, long shot i know but worth a go!

cheers

abraco

edd

Hi bayst10 and welcome on board!

Maybe you should post an advert in the jobs section of Rio de Janeiro classifieds describing your professional aptitudes.

Regards
Armand

Hey bluebirdbowe, I've been living in Rio for the past ten months and although I am a highly qualified and experienced teacher who even pursued the TEFL Course here, finding a job that pays a decent salary is the biggest problem.  If you don't have a work visa then you'll probably find yourself in such situation.  My advice is to post an advert in the Rio de Janeiro Classifieds and contact or apply online to the hotels.  The cost of living here is extremely high, so try to explore various channels and options.  Good luck!

I am crazy to come in Brazil (Rio De Janerio). Pls pls pls pls do something.

Hello Touhidur,

"... pls, pls, pls, do something"?????????

Nobody is going to do it for you, you must understand that anything worth doing is worth doing YOURSELF.

If you want to come to Brazil all you need to do is save up enough money, apply for a passport and visa and jump on a plane. It's not rocket science.

As far as the visa process goes, there are enough postings here that explain that in minute detail, you need only read a few of them.

Maybe you're wanting somebody to pay for the trip too???

http://yoursmiles.org/tsmile/flag/t67118.gif  Cheers,  http://yoursmiles.org/tsmile/flag/t67054.gif
  William James Woodward – Brazil Animator, Expat-blog Team

But I don't have enough money. That's why i want a job and a sponsor from BRAZIL. If the company want they can cut the money from my salary.

Well you can bet that isn't going to happen, companies don't do that especially here in Brazil.

http://yoursmiles.org/tsmile/flag/t67118.gif  Cheers,  http://yoursmiles.org/tsmile/flag/t67054.gif

Hi, new to the forum and have plans to migrate to Rio de Janiero next year. Great to see the conversation here.

Nothing for nothing....

Hi Nelda,

http://i1320.photobucket.com/albums/u531/wjwoodward/Welcome-banner.jpg

On behalf of the entire Expat-blog Team, welcome on board. I hope that your experience here will be both enjoyable and informative. I'm sure you'll make lot of new friends too.

most english speaking foreigners find jobs teaching english...shouldnŽt be too hard.....

Actually for English / French / Spanish / German speakers finding a teaching job is relatively easy many of the schools that are franchises here in Brazil hire (usually 2 times a year in June and December) but try at any other time of year anyway.

Don't expect to make lots of money teaching, you will be constantly struggling to get by....  sorry to burst your bubble.

Hi Expat.com Friends, I am new joinee from India and live here. I am looking for a job in Brazil, ready with passport and flight fares. Could you friend help me to find a job in Brazil so that I can apply for work permit? Looking forward to hear from you at earliest.

Thank you,
Valu Nanawat

Dear wjwoodword and Heily, request you to respond to my request.

valunana,

Do you have a VITEM-V Work Visa? Without that you can't work in Brazil. It's almost impossible to find work in Brazil for foreigners and one needs also to have a Carteira de Trabalho (CTPS) work permit.

The first step is finding a job, the best way to do that is apply to a multinational company there in India that also operates here and see if they can help you. Then you need to apply for the visa after finding the job, since they must confirm the work contract. Once you have the visa and work permit then you can come to Brazil and work.

Cheers,
William James Woodward, Expat-blog Experts Team

Dear Mr.Woodward, Certainly getting job through Indian company in Brazil is a good option,

However, I want to know, how can I get a job offer directly from a Brazilian company seating in India and applying directly from India. As per my browsing knowledge, most of the countries look for Job Offer to foregners so that foreigners can apply for work visa and this is challenging task to get hired from India directly.

In short, how can I go about getting a job in Brazilian company seating in India and trying from here?

Please reply.

Thank you,
Valu

You will likely find that multinational companies that operate both in India and Brazil will often have the ability to assist prospective employees directly with placement in their foreign operation. If they are not, generally speaking they certainly are able to put applicants in contact with the right people in their foreign Human Resources Department. Also many large companies in Brazil have direct links to their Human Resources Department where you can submit your CV and apply for work online.

Cheers,

Hi =)

just a little question.. I'm searching for a job in Rio..near Copa.
-hotel
or something like that..
let me know

Hi schamim,

First of all, what kind of visa do you hold? If you have a VITUR Tourist Visa you're not permitted to study or work while in Brazil.

If you want to work (legally) you need a VITEM-V Work Visa, a Carteira de Trabalho e Previdência Social (CTPS)  and a CPF number.

Cheers,

Hi william

I'm not there jet.. but if I find a Job I'll request a work visa

Your only chance is to get a job from abroad within a company which find you skills interesting. This company could sponsor you, organize and pay fee to obtain a work visa in Brazil. So the best bet is to get in touch with a company in your native country which could have operations in Brazil. You are certainly in competition with a lot of people so I can't hide the fact that this is a very small chance.
Important to know that in Brazil only 0.4% is not Brazilian; to compare with European countries or US where 10-20% of the population is foreign. It gives you an idea of the difficulty to enter in Brazil.

Hmm okay.. I work in a lawyer office so I have no chance to combinate this..
My boyfriend lives and works there, I just need a job for 3-6 month..

Hey my name is Chris McBee, Im 20 years old and new to this lol. Its my dream to teach english and travel! I absolutely loved it while i was in Seoul, South Korea and many of my Latin American friends convinced me Brazil is the place to be. So ive been researching throughout the internet for teaching/tutoring positions. Im not a certified english teacher, however while i was in Korea i did teach a group of elementary school students along with my neighbor who was from Venezuela. Before I left to go back to America my friend could speak pretty good english. So i guess my question for you guys is, Is it possible to travel to Brazil(lets say Rio/Sao Paulo), teach/tutor basic english to anyone from June 2014-September 2014?? Ive heard alot of different things, like you should go to Brazil first then try and find a job, or that you need to be certified to teach. Then again i heard from other people that you don't even need to be certified to teach. I really want to go so im willing to put the time and effort needed to make this happen!
Love from America :D
Chris McBee
P,S i heard the demand for English teachers is extremely high!

Hi Chris,

Most of the (private - for profit) language schools in Brazil don't care about teaching certificates or experience. They actually prefer to train native speakers using their own methodology. Here in Brazil "methodology" is an absolute OBSESSION with schools, they hammer it into their teachers and make sure you don't deviate one little bit from it.

The problem with teaching here in Brazil is that these same schools won't help in any way with obtaining the necessary visa, they really depend on foreigners working illegally in Brazil on a VITUR Tourist Visa, so they can get away with paying low and near-slave wages.

Cheers,

Wow thank you William, so who do I contact then in order to obtain a position this summer?

So I am reading a lot on how difficult it is to find a job without a work permit. But how is it for a foreigner with a carteira de trabalho?Are the chances better?

It's pretty difficult for foreign nationals to find work (Carteira de Trabalho or not) since Brazilian labor laws require employers to demonstrate clearly that they have exhausted all efforts to place qualified Brazilians in job vacancies before they can fill them with foreigners.

For those who have degrees in the STEM field (science/technology/engineering/mathematics) it is somewhat easier.

Really the only work that is readily available in Brazil for foreigners is teaching a language and that traditionally pays extremely poorly.

As far as finding a teaching job, a native speaker need only walk into a few schools in any Brazilian city, they're almost guaranteed to find something (poor as it may be).

Cheers,

Hello my name is Raphael leao,

I have lived in the states now for more than 20 years , i am a brazilian citizen and a us us resident alien . Truth is after having lived in the us (miami)for so long i am sceptical about how difficult it would be for me to find a job if i were to choose to move back to my city of origin Rio de Janeiro . I. Am wanting very much to do so for quite some time now , eu falo portugues fluente minha gramatica bom....vamos dizer que da para enganar hehe.
Nao pelo o fato de falar engles mas sim pelas opportunidades disponiveis .
I am well aware that nothing is easy in life and that compensation would be someting to be discussed.  I guess what i am looking for is some reassuring before i take the plunge....this is something easier gotten from strangers than those weve known all are lives hehe...

Depends how flexible you are for looking for work or creating work. I think Brazil has too much opportunity to not find work or create work that you would enjoy if you're open to it.

Hi Raphael,

You would at least have the great advantage over expats who haven't become naturalized citizens of Brazil, since all of the public service jobs which are extremely stable as far as being permanent and they're higher paid than private sector jobs would be wide open for you to try out for.

Your fluency in Portuguese also is another factor greatly in your favor, in fact this is one of the greatest barriers for expats here.

Cheers,
William James Woodward, EB Experts Team

Good brazilian teachers in good private schools are paid R$2000/month. Don't expect to be paid much because you're a native english speaker. You will be paid certainly much less, let's say R$1000/month.  If this is just pocket money and you can live on your savings, fine. If not, stay where you are because this will not be Brazilian dream.

Bardamu wrote:

Good brazilian teachers in good private schools are paid R$2000/month. Don't expect to be paid much because you're a native english speaker. You will be paid certainly much less, let's say R$1000/month.  If this is just pocket money and you can live on your savings, fine. If not, stay where you are because this will not be Brazilian dream.

I don't think the original poster was just looking for work as an English teacher. I think this is a pigeon-hole idea suggestion, nothing wrong with that though. Besides that, you can make over R$20,000 per month by expanding your ideas of "English teacher" to include "career coach" working with marketing and business. You have to be focused on what value your service brings and not some vague idealization of "education" while in Brazil. Anyone with enough effort can succeed.

Hi Tiger,

You're quite correct with your observation that one should expand their horizons and think well beyond just teaching English.

In the case of rafaelleao, for example, he's also a Brazilian citizen so can think in terms of the public sector positions that are unattainable for most expats. Another option than just teaching English that is in really big demand with large-scale Brazilian companies is "Cross Cultural Training", where one not only teaches the language to executives, but prepares them to adapt to the vastly different cultures they will be moving to.

Cheers,
William James Woodward, EB Experts Team

Tiger, I agree also with you but then you changed a bit the initial scope of the question. We were speaking about people coming in Brazil who expect to make a leaving of their native language. If now they have got also great professional experience and drive, they can make it certainly in Brazil. One remark, I believe they will difficilly find this job in a company but they will have to create their own job. This is not an employee position but being an entrepreneur/independant consultant.

Hey All, I too am looking to find a job in Rio. I know the best way is to just jump on a plane and go door to door but wanted to get an idea of how easy/difficult or likely i am to succeed in my en devours, any advice would be greatly welcome.

I work as an Architect fully qualified in he UK with over 6 years work experience with top London firms  some of which whom are designing for both the upcoming world cup stadiums and the Olympic park. Before you ask i have looked into a uk company basing me out there, very difficult. My CV is as good as anyone could ask for many internationaly recognized names but i currently don't speak a work of Portuguese or Spanish. So my questions are:

1. Do you think i could find suitable work in rio as an Architect who doesn't speak the language at first.
2. Will this pay well enough to live a good live? anyone know any architects and how much they get paid, failing that what kind of salary do i want to be looking for (rough range) to live a decent quality of live, nice place eat well drink well enjoy life.

cheers any help is greatly appreciated, nicky