Do and don't in Slovenia

Are you living in Slovenia? We need you to share your experience of the local customs :)

Is it difficult to adjust to the local customs in Slovenia?

Could you please share with us a list of the do's and don't's in Slovenia?

Thanks!

Na ja... that's not so difficult. There are few things that I heard some find strange:
- you should always take off your shoes when entering someone else house (except if they say otherwise). Usually we have slippers for visitors that you can put on, but you don't have to if you don't want to... but shoes in the house are no go.

- we are quite similar to Austrians I would guess, have of our food is the same (we did belong to Austro-Hungarian Monarchy for quite some time and even rest of ex-Yugoslavia nations always joked that we are Yugo-Austrians :-)

- we are pretty punctual, so if you agree to meet with someone at 8 then be there at 8. especially if it's business related you can not afford to be late!!

But the rest depends of people, if you deal with older people they will treat you like you fell from the Moon cause they are not familiar with people abroad, but they will all have great admiration for you if you are coming from West. Young people are very cosmopolitan, they travel the world and usually know a foreign languages. But I really always had a feeling that we thought that everything what's coming from west is better as what we have at home so we were quite taken buy that. I also don't remember that racism would be an issue. I remember that in my city we had one guy from Africa and everybody was really trying hard to have him as a friend :-). It can be a bit of xenophobia now and than but usually towards people from East and even that quite hidden (behind their back).

- an one big no no - never ever mistaken Slovenia for Slovakia, that's unacceptable and there even I get upset!!

But otherwise I believe we are very nice, hard working, responsible nation with all its pros and cons :-)

i like it ...meeting people in exact timing... :)

don't mention the war i.e. Yugoslavian war or border issues with Croatia...
do mention that you consider us to be part of West Europe and not East...it would be considered as a huge compliment... :P

I am going to be in Slovenia for a year. I am from the US and my 14 year old daughter is coming with me. She is part african. Will she face racism?

From what I hear here in Ptuj it isn't a question of race, only colour.  Several young hipsters have insisted to me that they aren't racist, only that they don't like things that come from black people (most used a different word).  Whether that includes their children is largely academic as there are few foreign residents and they are unlikely to interbreed with the natives. 

For calculating hourly labour rates and to ensure the money flows towards the light most locals carry a colour swatch like this http://murrietaraingutters.net/Quicksta … patios.JPG starting with the white rate at 5 euros and going down to the most southerly tan known to the Haložani, who might get 1.

In country were I am from we donŽt use shoes inside eather. Is it unpolite not use slippers when offered? Done that and just wondering...

What you could bring with you here when you are invited to visit someones home? Flowers of course if there is some women in the house but what else?

I don't know about the slippers (I've always used them when offered, and just worn socks, otherwise), but I've always been told that coffee is a good gift to bring.  People always seem happy to receive it, too, whether it's a fancy italian blend or just Barcaffe, so it's pretty much my default host gift.

Another gift that's often appreciated is fresh juice, especially on hot summer days.  If they don't have a garden, or if it is a rare kind, fruit is often a nice gift. Occasionally, when I asked people that had kids if I could bring anything, they said ice cream would be appreciated. The other polite gifts are pretty standard, ime: a bottle of wine, or a nice pastry from the bakery (or homemade).

Does Slovenia have any Africans

@SimiloChiradza73 Maybe in the main cities, but countryside no.

@SimiloChiradza73

Hello and welcome !

Please note that you are participating on an old thread. I would suggest that you introduce yourself on the New Members thread.

Regards

Bhavna