Hi - Anyone in Fougeres (Brittany) area?

Hi folks - I'm a newbie to this site and am trying to connect with expats in the Fougeres area for chats, coffee, trips out etc. I've lived here for just under 5 years now and whilst I have some good french friends, I really miss chatting to people in my native tongue from time to time (not having to worry about my grammar or holes in my vocab! Now my youngest is at school full time, I have more time to spare and am keen to extend my social circle. If anyone out there is interested I would love to hear from you. Shelley.

Welcome to Expat.com Shelley

Your discussion has been directed to the Brittany forum.

I hope that you will make lot of contacts via Expat.com!

Hi Xeonbia,

Ive been living here in France for three years now but have just recently moved to the Fougeres area with my husband and kids. I am hoping to meet some new friends so would love to meet up with you sometime (nothing better than coffee and a chat!)

Hope to hear from you soon

Hi Clox - thanks for the message and Bonne Année! Hope you had a good Christmas and New Year.

I live in St Etienne en Cogles, NW of Fougeres, with my French hubby and 4 kids (aged 12, 10, 7 & 5). We moved here just over 5 years ago from Nottingham, England and have settled in pretty well. My French could still use some improvement (grammar mostly) but I manage OK and have found the locals very friendly and accommodating. Have met a few expats through French classes etc, tho' they are mostly retired people and I miss chatting to my UK friends sometimes.

Whereabouts have you settled in Fougeres? Are your kids enjoying life in the area?

Would love to meet up sometime for a coffee/chat - I'm not working at the moment so can be pretty flexible as long as I work it around my Taxi service for the kids activities! Let me know when you might be free and we'll set something up.

Hope to speak soon

Shelley (Xenobia is my user name / middle name)

Happy Neaw Year to you too! Wow we live so close we are in Saint Brice en Cogles! We moved here in July this year and had our second baby in October! So we have a little boy age 2 and a little girl nearly 3 months.

I too am not working at the moment just finished my maternity leave and am on the look out for something in the area. I find it hard to get out of the house with the two no assistant Maternel at the moment!! 

Let me know wwhat day is best for you perhaps we could meet up this week! I really cant believe we live so near by!!

Hello again - fabulous news that you live so close! I am in and out of St Brice most days as my eldest goes to the College there and the kids have Judo, music, pony etc.

Would love to meet up at a time /place to suit you - for me Wednesdays are a bit hectic with activities for the kids, but otherwise I'm pretty much a free agent (cleaning and shopping and washing and all that jazz can be scheduled in any time!). I appreciate it must be very tricky for you at the moment with two little ones (been there and got the T-shirt so you have my sympathies!) - sounds like you've had a hell of a year with moving and the new baby. I'm happy to go with whatever makes life easier for you - we can meet up in St Brice centre or I can come to you if its easier. I'll leave it for you to name the day, time and place and will look forward to meeting you!

Until then, take care

Shelley

Hi Shelly,
It would be lovely if you could come here because It is tricky getting out with the two! I am free on Tuesday if that is good for you. The afternoon is prob best as it takes me half the morning to get the two up, bath,fed and  dressed!!
Have you an email address and I will give you my address etc?

Clodagh

Hi Clodagh
Tuesday pm is fine by me - I collect my daughter from college at 16:00 so anytime between 14:00 (kids back to school after lunch) and then would be good.
Look forward to meeting you soon!

Have a good evening

Shelley

Hi Shelley,

You should avoid putting your phone number on a public forum. ;)

Hello Shelley,
I am in Beauvoir close to Mont St Michel where I found a new job I start tomorrow.
I am in Dol de Bretagne also quite often where my parents live.
I am single, 44, no kids, no husband/boyfriend, just back from the US last month where I spent 20 years of my life...and now I am starting my life all over here again....
I would love to chat with you sometimes.
Please be patient with me with emails as I am in the process of moving to my new apartment in Beauvoir and I won't have internet right away...I wish! everything takes so long in this country compared to the US! oh well...that is part of the culture difference, I guess! lol..
Cheers,
Nathalie

Hi Natalie

Thanks for your message - what a lovely surprise. I hope that by the time you read this you have had a good day at work in your new job. Sounds like you've really taken the plunge for a new life over here - I admire you; my journey has been a lot less drastic!

Anyway, I'm always up for making new friends, be it through online chat or actually meeting up. Give yourself a bit of time to breath and settle and just give me a shout when you're ready. You're not far away so we can always arrange a meet-up sometime for a coffee and gossip. Hope you are enjoying life here - with the weather at the moment the area's charms are a little less evident, but we have had 5 happy years here so far and are looking forward to many more. There's lots to see and do, the people seem very friendly and welcoming and the lifestyle suits us.

Anyway, no doubt you are rushed off your feet and need to enjoy a well-deserved glass of wine and unwind!

Look forward to catching up again soon - until then take care

Shelley

Hello everyone, I am new to the forum. I am from the USA, my French husband and I moved to Tremblay with our two year old son. I am looking to make some friends and hopefully get some help to point me in the right direction to learn French. I tried the CLPS and needless to say I don't learn the way they teach. My husband and I are in our early 40s and want to meet people and network. I ran across this forum searching for Places to teach French. :-) I wanted to introduce myself and say Hello.

Jacquelyn

Hi Jacquelyn - hope you are well.

I live in St Etienne en Cogles, so not too far from you, with my French hubby and 4 kids (ages 5,7,10 and 12). We've been here for almost 6 years now and although my French is OKish (terrible grammar) I too am struggling to improve further. I tried a class in Fougeres at the social centre but found it a bit slow and it was very difficult for the teacher as the students were often away for weeks at a time - also of very mixed ability.

I understand that there is a good evening group (Wednesdays I think) in Chauvigné where there are both French and English people together - they break into groups according to level and discuss current affairs or chat about topics of interest. I haven't been along as my husband is often working away and so I need to stay with the kids. Alternatively, if you are looking for work, there are various courses run via the Pôle d'Emplois.

Anyway, would be great to chat some more sometime or even meet up if you fancy it. There seem to be a few French/Anglophone couples in the area, so we might be able to share experiences and pool our knowledge!

Until then take care and hope to hear from you soon

Shelley

Thanks for the comment Shelley. I have heard of the group in Chavigne through a lady I was in class with and she was able to get a tutor through the group. That maybe an option.
I was looking at software programs and found one I may try it is called Tell Me More, but I am still debating, but I may have no alternative if I want a job and I do. My lil one will start school next year so need something to do.
I found in the CLPS that since I wasn't moving quite as fast as the younger people they didn't seem to want to help as much and I had to take my time because I am having to find out pretty much what each word means lol
I would like it if we could chat since you have been here a while you can give me some tips on how to communicate hehehe

Jacquelyn

Great! I am off on sunday and monday...let me know when you want to meet and where.
I am in Dol de Bretagne and Saint-Malo sometimes so we could decide to meet in between close to Fougeres where you are?
Is there a way we can communicate with private emails since I don't want to give my mobile number on this posting page for everyone to see?
thank you for letting me know.
Nathalie
[email protected]

Hello there and thank you for your message!

Had pretty much given up hope of any further responses to the original post so your message was a lovely surprise! Would love to meet up for a coffee some time when you are over. We live in the village itself, just off Rue du Verger, if you know it? I'll give you my email address so you can mail me when you are over and available and we can hopefully sort something out (I can give you my address and contact numbers etc):

[email protected]

Hope to meet you sometime soon - enjoy the rest of the bank Holiday!

Shelley

I am hoping to get over to view some properties in this area.
Can anyone tell me what it is like living in and around the Fourgeres area and is there plenty to keep you busy from Culture to Shopping
Any feedback would be very much appreciated and thank you

Looking for someone who can help me speak French. We are near Fougeres in the commune if St Germain en Cogles, close to St Etienne en Cogles and St Brice en Cogles.
My a French is not great and I really want to improve it as soon as possible.
Hope there is someone out there!
Thanks in anticipation
Wendy

Hi

Are you still in the area? We just moved to Fougères a few weeks ago and I was hoping to find some other expats in and around the area!

Thanks
Katie

Hello
I am leaving the US/California in two days to come back home to France as I can no longer take this lonely expat life here with no real friends:(
Where are you from?
What brings you in Fougeres?
A bientot,
Nathalie

I'm from the UK but my husband is French. Well kind of! He's lived in England so long he's more English than French 😄!

No reason for Fougères in particular. We work from home so work location wasn't an issue. We wanted somewhere in Brittany and Fougères had everything we wanted! Are you from here?

Hi, remembered about this thread and wondered if anyone is still in the area? We've been in Fougères for nearly 3 months now and would love to get in touch with anyone still around and in the area.