Do and don't in Eritrea

Are you living in Eritrea? We need you to share your experience of the local customs :)

Is it difficult to adjust to the local customs in Eritrea?

Could you please share with us a list of the do's and don't's in Eritrea?

Thanks!

well eritrea.. small conutry with  a diverse culture  and a multi ethenic contry a mix of arabic and african clans lving together for thousands of years.,, it got its independence 19years bak, and currently ruled by an irrational and illegitimate goverenment ...........

Could you tell us something more about Eritrea? Is there anything interesting to visit?
Thanks

the_man wrote:

well eritrea.. small conutry with  a diverse culture  and a multi ethenic contry a mix of arabic and african clans lving together for thousands of years.,, it got its independence 19years bak, and currently ruled by an irrational and illegitimate goverenment ...........

with respect to you Mr. whoever!!

the government you are talking abpout has brought freedom to you and has given you the feel of how to be human!!

have you forgat how the Ethiopians were treating you like dog?!
have you forgat when they were raping the women and killing the prople with cold blood?!
have you forgat what was your name at that time ?

refuge, nothing,no one, even animal was better than you at that stages at least could move any wehre without anyrestriction!!

believe me !  you should thank God for this blessing ( freedom ).

Hello to all and welcome to new members in this topic :)
However please keep in mind that the subject of the present topic is about the do's and don't do's in Eritrea, not about politics (which by the way is not in usage in Expat.com who's main purpose is to help people settle down in their country of expatriation).
Thanks for your understanding! :)

@ LaTerrazza,

yes dear there many terrific places you can vist in Eritrea, i do recommende you to go to Asmara the capital as when you reach there you will find no difference between Italy & Eritrea as the second name of Eritrea is second Rome, cuz the style of the buldings and the daily life routin is like Italy, you will find the majority  of the Eritrean people speaking Italian language.

other than Asmara you can visit Massawa it's located on the coast side of Eritrea, the climate is very hot for almost 5 moths during the year which most of the tourists like to go there and rent chalets and enjoying swimming.

high hills,
you also can go to the most beautiful areas in Eritrea with high hills lands covered with greenish & rainy climate all over the year.  like daki Mehari, Adi Kayeh, Zalanbessa, Bademi, Ala teena, Hazamu,  and you can go also to the highest point of Eritrea  amountain called Embasswera.

frankly speaking i've been there so many time  and every time i go i feel that i don't want to leave ...  ;)

you can go and visit Google for more information regarding your topic, as what i listed above was from self experience scenario...

ciao...

no worries dear  just find me a space...  ;)

I have been to Eritrea on several occasions, as my wife used to work for an NGO. Unfortunately all NGO have been told to leave the country. Anyway, Eritrea is a very attractive place, there are a lot of places to visit. Asmara the capital city is very clean and the people are very friendly. The last time I visited (2006) I have found a nice lounge/bar called ZARA in the middle of the city (any taxi driver would know the place)owned by an ex pat (austrian/eritrea) and it is a place you can start with (well for a foreigner), staff are very helpful. Massawa and Karen are two fantastic cities with a lot of hystry. The whole country is unexplored, if you have an active interest in scuba diving, the whole Eritrea's sea is unexplored (the red). Again you would need a lot of paperwork as the regime is very sceptical and paranoid about foreigners . Be careful of what you say and do. Although there is no sharia law, at times it can seem worse (again this is from a foreigner point of view( no offence meant),again as a foreigner and from talking to locals you need to be careful and respect their  way of leading the country.  Renting a house is quite resonable and there are many businessman (middlemen) who are able to get you a good deal on accommodation. The Cathedral (a church built by the Italians in the 20th centuary) is a must see in Asmara. In massawa there is also a mosque which is said to be oldest mosque in Africa.