Living in the Maryland

You are an expatriate living in the Maryland, or you used to  work and live in the Maryland.

Share your expat experience!

How would you describe life in the Maryland?

Has it been complicated to settle down, to find a job, and an accomodation? 

Is it complicated to make friends in the Maryland?

What would you recommend to people who would like to live in the Maryland?

Thanks in advance for your participation

If you call it "the" Maryland, you're definitely going to sound like an outsider! It's just Maryland (pronounced Meh'-re-land). We're in Metro DC, not Western Maryland, so don't want to generalize, but this area is filled with anglophiles!  Making friends is definitely not an issue--as long as you can relax and smile a bit. Well, a lot. Be prepared to hear about their trip to the UK though--and try to be nice if they ask you if you know someone they met in some small village somewhere!

Ha,ha, hello there Prodigal Tourist, my neighbor from the blogosphere! Progigal and I don't live too terribly far from each other so I would have to agree with his post. I live just over the border from MD but I work there. Maryland is a beautiful state and we enjoy all four seasons. Winters can be quite cold with some snowfall while summers can get very hot and humid. Spring and Autumn are the best seasons to enjoy.

Except for western MD, the rest of the state I find to be fairly progressive and friendly. The state normally goes Democratic in national elections. Home prices are fairly expensive, especially compared to the rest of the south. Sales tax rate is 6% and property taxes are pretty high.

The state requires emissions testing on cars but do not require a yearly inspection like some states. I work for a school system in MD so I can attest to the fact that our school systems are pretty good. The closer you live to a big city, the better the job situation. But it is an expensive place to live as far as buying a home.

I'm wondering if Prodigal Tourist can point me to all the Anglophiles in our area? I think I know one personally. ;)
And yes, we want to talk to you about the last time we were in Britain. Good times!:D

Expat Aussie living in Maryland. I live in a small town, just one hours drive from DC. Ive been here for a little over 12 months now. so far, everyone I have met is wonderful. Maybe its the small town thing, but its all good. Although, they ofter think I am a pom!! (no offense to poms). I usually counter with, "oh, your accent, are you from West Virginia" I dont know why, but if you say it with a grin, they often laugh!! I love it here, especially the snow, and truly you do get all the 4 seasons here!!

thanks Prodigal and Smitten.

Its all going well here in Maryland. Perhaps the "the" was a typo..... lol . mybad.

I do love it here, am getting a little homesick. Miss the gumtrees, and the parrots. (oh and the family. )

My husband assured me that the river we live on, only floods once or twice a year............ YEAH RIGHT!! but is all good. Spring is here, and I cant wait for the warmer weather......

Im still getting used to the pronounciation of words... just little things. Its nutella, people.... not nuu tella. lol.

aussie aussie aussie........oi oi oi

I after man years still laugh at pronunciation.  I miss the weather, I miss the people, I miss the savannah.

lol. and its nissan,,,,,, not neesarn. lol.

sounds like you, therrmum are from Sith ifrica?

I am from Zimbabwe/Rhodesia.  I after a few weeks shy of 17 years met very few americans I can say are as nice as Australians, South African and even pommies.  Baltimore is the worst.  DC is so much better.  Their english is terrible.

Hey I've just moved to Annapolis. Great little town.

Hello batesy23 and welcome to Expat.com!

This thread is old (2011). :)
I invite you to start a new thread on the Maryland forum with a small introduction.

Thank you,
Aurélie