Living in the Tennessee

You are an expatriate living in the Tennessee, or you used to  work and live in the Tennessee.

Share your expat experience!

How would you describe life in the Tennessee?

Has it been complicated to settle down, to find a job, and an accomodation? 

Is it complicated to make friends in the Tennessee?

What would you recommend to people who would like to live in the Tennessee?

Thanks in advance for your participation

Hendersonville, TN. North of Nashville. It just sucks, sucks for me "the girl who came from a big city with lots of friends" back home & none in TN. Here I love the environment very well, roads are clean, people are sweet but tense (for some reason they save their smiles, upper class restaurants (boring for everyday hangout), more diversity in Nashville than the area I am living at and pretty much living cost is not bad compared to other US states and cities.

Life in Tennessee is horrible.  We moved to Nashville 2 years ago and within 6 mo's we knew we made a mistake.  There is nothing to do.  People are nice but they don't warm up to you or want to make friends.  Some are rude to transplants.  So much racial tension.  Sales taxes are high.  We have been trying to transfer out for 1 1/2 years.  It sure was easier getting in this state than it is getting out.  It's not even cheap to live here like some would like you to think.  Mileage on your car because you have to drive all around to get to basic stores.  It's too spread out.  If your thinking of moving here; DON'T.

I have to say I'm quite surprised about what I have read. Depending on where you live in TN, things are quite different. I live in Nashville, I don't own a car and my life could not be happier.
I have made a lot of friends here and everything is fine. One thing is sure, it is not easy to make friends, but it is not more difficult here in TN that anywhere else. You have to be open minded and willing to share you experience from your country.
The weather is really great (except for the floodings this week-end but it is rather rare) and the parcs in Nashville are beautiful. It is a daily pleasure to walk to work.
I work at Vanderbilt University and this is a great job opportunity. If someone ever offer you a job there, you should definitely accept it, it's a great place to work !
Living cost is not bad compared to my home countryand especially compared to other area in the USA. There a lot of CSA (community supported agriculture)m so it is quite easy to find cheap and good food !

I have lived in Cookeville Tn for nearly 5 yrs now and I still do not have any friends, I guess the comment everyone back home used to make about how easily I make friends came back to bite me, but its too I had alot of friends back home and here nothing, which gets very lonely esp, as my husband works away alot and we have 3 small kids. I have found that unless you belong to a baptist church you might as well give up now. Cost of living is not to bad as long as you are smart about things and as for getting around you need that car!!

Beverly, congratulations on your choice of "Betsytown." The town's population is around 14,000. Next door is Johnson City (58,000), and not very far away are Kingsport (44,000) and Bristol TN-VA (42,000 combined). You will be almost completely surrounded by mountains. Average January highs and lows are mid-40s and mid-20s, while July averages are mid-80s and mid-60s. Humidity is high from early June to late August. Tornadoes are unheard of. The last big snowstorm (2 feet) occurred in January, 1998. We had a 2-3 footer in March, 1993. The Covered Bridge Days festival is an annual warm weather event. The Appalachian Trail passes within a few miles. Nearby Watauga Lake is the highest in elevation of all the TVA lakes and is also the cleanest. (And possibly the most scenic.) In case you're into Bluegrass music, a friend of mine has organized an early-May festival a few miles outside town. There are numerous antique malls in Elizabethton and neighboring towns. A large indoor-outdoor flea market is also nearby. Each of the above-mentioned larger towns has an indoor mall. Bristol Motor Speedway, the world's fastest half-mile track is less than 20 miles away and hosts two Nextel Cup races each year. Elizabethton has 5 grocery store chains, but the best produce can be found at Pierce's, a small locally owned business. If you are a civic-minded person, there are plenty of clubs and organizations to join. One of the town's major assets is the library which has a wonderful staff and is part of a regional system. The town is rich in Colonial history with at least one surviving structure and a state park. I hope this has answered most of your questions. No, I don't work for the Chamber of Commerce.(hahaha)
================

northernlass wrote:

I have lived in Cookeville Tn for nearly 5 yrs now and I still do not have any friends, I guess the comment everyone back home used to make about how easily I make friends came back to bite me, but its too I had alot of friends back home and here nothing, which gets very lonely esp, as my husband works away alot and we have 3 small kids. I have found that unless you belong to a baptist church you might as well give up now. Cost of living is not to bad as long as you are smart about things and as for getting around you need that car!!

Its not so bad here I have lived here in the USA for 8 years or so and Jackson TN for the last 2 years, takes a little bit of getting used to but overall i have lived in worse places, Cost of living is ok, that's why we have Wal-Mart heh. I could kill for a Jar of Vegemite though.

I've lived in TN for the past 10 years and it's really all dependent on where you live in TN, just like anywhere else. If you choose a place like Memphis then you're full of the city all the time. Nashville has a great night life, but it's also full of rich people and people trying to make their dreams come true. Knoxville is mainly a city for UTK and it's full of either intellectuals, fans, or college students. Chattanooga is very low key with lots of beautiful landscapes and a great community.
============

I live in Hendersonville (been here in the KY-TN area for the past 11 years).  I like it all right here, even though it is not like home....but you know what, home is not even like home anymore!
So i decided to make wherever I live home and enjoy it!

I lived in Knoxville, TN during my undergrad and I think that Knoxville is one of the nice cities in Tennessee solely because of the amount of out-of-towners that come to University of Tennesse, ORNL, and TVA.

jamieinlondon.com

Knoxville, East Tennessee. Loving it. Moved from the UK when I married my US Citizen hubby.

This is a link to my blog with all my experiences, tips and tricks from my big move! All the best to everyone!

http://leapacrossthepond.blogspot.com/

I lived in Johnson City (very North East of TN), it's quiet, there is not much to do, but I like it, and I would be ready to go back in a few years. It is very cheap to live there, but there is not many job offers... The University tho is nice, not expensive, and there is a lot of foreign students

Is it true what they sing about Rocky Top?

Ju98665 wrote:

I lived in Johnson City (very North East of TN), it's quiet, there is not much to do, but I like it, and I would be ready to go back in a few years. It is very cheap to live there, but there is not many job offers... The University tho is nice, not expensive, and there is a lot of foreign students

I live in JC for 3 months. Worked as an engineer with BCTI. It was a beautiful area, but too isolated for me.  Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge where absolutely amazing. ROCKY TOP TN.