Whats the easiest way to get a job as a foreigner in Mru?

Hei guys!
Scrolling up and down the myjob.mu site and so on, it seems pretty difficult to get a job in this beautiful island as a foreigner.. Im sure there are plenty of us out there who would love some "inside-input" on how to be able to live the mauritian dream :) Everyone is welcome to answer!
I wish you all a wonderful day! :D

any specific skill or professional experience ?

What kind of job are you looking for ?

Dear Enitram

For sure, it is not an easy task, but not impossible as well, to get a job in Mauritius.

Should you give an idea of your qualifications and work experience on this forum, things would surely move faster.

Best of luck

Cheers

Vayid

Yes, that would help a lot to get your experience and related field.

Well.. My experience is in many fields - but at the moment im working as an Office Manager / Assistent General Manager for a big International Marketing Company in Norway (Groupon). My maintasks: daily operations, HR, Finance, Social Media and SEO (Marketing). I am also Head of Customer Service and Head of Partner Management. Hope this is useful :)

The problem you will find is that there are plenty of Mauritians that can very likely do the same job you would be looking for, but will do so for less money than what you would want to get paid as well as for less money than what it would take for you to meet the minimum requirements to qualify for a work permit.

That being said, don't give up hope.  You should continue to target the various job boards in Mauritius.  LinkedIn also has a number of job openings listed on their site that are located in Mauritius. 

It might also be beneficial to contact some of the local recruiting agencies and provide them with your CV and information to see if you are suitable for any of the open positions they are working to fill.

Thanks for the reply Bunkoma :)

Dear Enitram

Kindly send me your email address on private message, and I'll see what I can do.

Cheers

Vayid

Hi Enitram!

As I understood here one of the way to find a job is to look the companies who works or going to work with your "Native" Market. In this case they usually need the people who can speak native language of this country, understand the administration situation and will be able to stay on Management position!

I am in the same situation as you, but I'm already in Mauritius...
Good Luck!

Even my question is same. However, I want a job related to the field of Education-  may be school or undergraduate college ?
Any hope???

ranu-roy wrote:

Even my question is same. However, I want a job related to the field of Education-  may be school or undergraduate college ?
Any hope???

As mentioned in the previous post, it is not that easy to get a job in Mauritius especially in the field of education. Public institutions are practically out of reach for expats.

In private schools and colleges, it all depends on your qualifications and experience.
Also based on legal guidelines, as a professional in a particular sector, you should be receiving a monthly basic salary of MRU 45,000 (USD 1,500).
Foreign educators coming to Mru are mostly those under contract from local private schools.

I do not personally know of other ways but should you find any, good for you.
Till then, best of luck :)

if someone can tell me, can I find a job in mauritius as a chemical engineer with more then 10 years experience in water/wastewater treatment? Is it easy to find engineering job from abroad?
thanx :)

As far as I know most countries welcome engineers :)

mayales wrote:

if someone can tell me, can I find a job in mauritius as a chemical engineer with more then 10 years experience in water/wastewater treatment? Is it easy to find engineering job from abroad?
thanx :)

To be able to work here, you must be recruited by a Mauritius-based company first and the latter will take on all the formalities of your employment. Also your basic monthly salary should exceed MRU 45,000 ( $ 1,500 ).

So the first step would be to get in touch with companies/institutions geared towards chemical engineering or any other related field.
You can find some names in some business directories online.

Best of luck!

Hi everybody,

I am going to work on Mauritius and my girlfriend would like to come with me. Is there any chance for her to get a work permit as an unprofessional? She'll be satisfied with lower salary (I thing I'll earn enough). She only doesn't want to be bored and spend the money...

Have a nice day :)

Hi

Please get in touch when you arrive, Lifecare might help.

Regards
Rajiv

yup same here.... I am currently in Mauritius from Scotland and i too am finding it difficult.... they

want a full breakdown almost of everything you've done. certificates, qualifications etc etc... where

as in Scotland your CV and experience is usually enough.

I work as a Debt/Finance Management Consultant, I was the Manager for the Glasgow region while working for a Manchester based  company.

I also do acting for Film/TV.

Good luck everyone.

Heya weenat
Welcome to the forum! From what I've been told, it's better to be employed by a company based in eu that's got a branch/office on the island than going with local companies.
If I'm not mistaking, Sky has a branch here for their customer service or billing dept so you might want to try with them and see if they've got roles that may suit you.

heyy Spangles, how r u?

thanks very much for your reply... helps alot :) I'll try that.. appreciate it

nat

p.s im '' fresh off the boat'' too ... arrived in mid April this year lol

you're welcome! I might be able to hook you up with the hr who deals with the branch here but I don't know to what extent that person is allowed to take on someone who's already here on an expat contract. I'll ping the person and see what comes out of it.

Hi Weenat,

There is an Adecco branch in Port Louis. Open an account with them, upload your CV and start applying with your fingers crossed.

Also try myjob.mu as there are plenty of jobs added daily.

I am in a similar field(credit) and you do not come by those vacancies on a day to day basis unfortunately.

Chin up and keep applying. Something will come up.

Cheers,

S.

Heyy shameemb,

Thanks a lot.... :) I'll be doing that Asap

Appreciate it.

Yes I haven't come accross anything close to what I actually do yet.  But as you said "fingers crossed".

Nat s

Hey Weenat,

It's also worth checking on the l'express(daily) and weekend(weekly)newspapers for vacancies.

You could also send your CV directly to some companies. You will require a wee bit of patience before you actually hear something from them.

Send me a private message if you require some more info.

Cheers,

Hi @weenat, @shameemb,]

Have you think about posting an advert in the Jobs in Mauritius section. This can surely help. :)

Thank you,

David.

Hi,

Ahh no, I dint realise there was a section which allowed that.

Thanks David, I'll try that :)

Nat

Wow, I love this forum. The updating here about work and lives in mauritius is so nice. Am frm Nigeria, I work in a company as an accountant. Later as a teacher, but based on what I have been reading here concerning professional jobs or not. Is like I will come down low bcos am moving to Mauritius by march this year. Is thr any hope to get work in any manufacturing company or entertainment industries in mauritius? Pls update me tnks.

Whats the easiest way to get a job as a foreigner in Mauritius?can somebody be of help to me???i am from Ghana but currently based in Kenya

Hello baniba2000gh,

You can always start by posting an ad in the Jobs in Mauritius section with your qualifications included in it. And I suggest that you try browsing through the classifieds sections in online newspapers from Mauritius.

Shaazia
Expat.com Team

Hi, my husband and I have been considering a move away from where we are now for the last 6-12 months. We have narrowed things down to 1-2 places Mauritius being one of them.

My husband currently works for a global Asset Management company as head of their European IT functions.

the firm have an office in Mauritius but not one that is large enough to accommodate his skills set. he has been looking at LinkedIn as well as a few agencies, but is struggling to see anything that he wouldn't be over qualified for.

Any ideas as to what his next step might be?

We are a family of 6 so would want to have work in place before making a move anywhere.
Thanks.

bunkoma wrote:

The problem you will find is that there are plenty of Mauritians that can very likely do the same job you would be looking for, but will do so for less money than what you would want to get paid as well as for less money than what it would take for you to meet the minimum requirements to qualify for a work permit.

That being said, don't give up hope.  You should continue to target the various job boards in Mauritius.  LinkedIn also has a number of job openings listed on their site that are located in Mauritius. 

It might also be beneficial to contact some of the local recruiting agencies and provide them with your CV and information to see if you are suitable for any of the open positions they are working to fill.

Its not that people here are willing to work for less money..The problem is we have a lot of double standards and moreover since there is no minimum income like everywhere else then labour ends up being paid much less..Just clearing this out but as mentioned earlier LinkedIn is a powerful tool to find a job in Mauritius although the competition there is very high.

Hello, i'm dental technician  from Bulgaria and look for a job in Mauritius..I would be grateful if you  contact me . :)

enitram wrote:

Hei guys!
Scrolling up and down the myjob.mu site and so on, it seems pretty difficult to get a job in this beautiful island as a foreigner.. Im sure there are plenty of us out there who would love some "inside-input" on how to be able to live the mauritian dream :) Everyone is welcome to answer!
I wish you all a wonderful day! :D

Hello. There are companies here who look for people from the Scandinavian region. My advice will be to contact them first and find about your prospects. Emails could be ignored, I suggest to call their HR directly. However the salary is less here as compared to Norway.

Hi Vayid,

My husband and I are trying to get to Mauritius in the hospitality sector.
I have been reading a lot about your blogs, and was wondering if you would have nothing in that area, Engineering.

Thank you for your help

Hi,
I need help. Merci.
Educated then a nurse with study from switzerland, anaesthesia nurse. Lots of experience in practise in the operation theatre, emergency and icu. Since 2011 I am working for a big medical producer. My responsibiltys are in the anaesthesia department for our devices. I have a big technical backround. I am looking forward to get help or recomendation.

Thank you in advance.

Ulrike

Hi Ulrike

You could check the private hospitals on the island ... for example Fortis Darney ...

Good luck to you

Cheers

Sonny ...

Hello Martine,
the best way to try to get a job interview in Mauritius is to send your CVs to big listed companies which you can find in the business yellow pages of Mauritius and also try in the banking sector.
it must be easy for you to hit one since you seem to be a multitasking person.

keep me update

Bonjour Sonny,

Merci I will. I think they need well educated medical stuff. Have a good day on the island.
ULRIKE

Helo.
Merci very helpful your comment.
Regards from Germany.
Ulrike

get married to a mauritian first.. lol ;)
thn easy to get job