Living in Edinburgh

You are an expatriate living in Edinburgh, or you used to  work and live in Edinburgh.

Share your expat experience!

How would you describe life in Edinburgh?

Has it been complicated to settle down, to find a job, and an accomodation? 

Is it complicated to make friends in Edinburgh?

What would you recommend to people who would like to live in Edinburgh?

Thanks in advance for your participation

Hello:
We will soon be moving to Edinburgh -- as a family of 6 with 4 children under the age of 5, which areas should I be looking at when considering schooling/purchasing a home?  It is important to be in a great school district, and in a house with a garden.  Any suggestions?
Thank you
-M-

I am an expat now living in England, but was living in Scotland and have a flat there. If you are still looking for a place or even a stop gap prior to getting your own place, we have a lovely flat with four bedrooms in an excellent district with well known schools for all ages of children.
Let me know if I can help with this.

Hello. I'm from the USA, though I've been in the UK since 1991, Germany from 2001 t0 2005. I'm currently living/working in Edinburgh. Love it. Though the whole time I've been here I've not met any Americans living here in Edinburgh, only American tourists. Where do you all hang out?
I'm fond of the Bow Bar and Sandy Bell's. You can find me there either on a Friday or Saturday night. I'm not one for going out during the weeknights.
Write me. Let's get to know each other! [email protected].

Is there any frenchies on this site?
Please, email me , j'ai 2-3 questions à vous poserXXX!
Merci,

You should ask your questions on the french version of this forum. Hope this helps, Julien

blenheimlodge wrote:

I am an expat now living in England, but was living in Scotland and have a flat there. If you are still looking for a place or even a stop gap prior to getting your own place, we have a lovely flat with four bedrooms in an excellent district with well known schools for all ages of children.
Let me know if I can help with this.

May I ask if you would have this place available in late July or August? I am an Australian who is currently living in Finland, and I will be moving to Edinburgh mid summer this year.
What is the cost of living in Edinburgh and is it easy to find a nursery job there?

Cheers

Hi
We have the flat booked from 29th July until end August, so it will be available from 1st Sept onwards.
How many are there in your party?

just me I'm affraid :( How much are you wanting for the apartment? Where about's is it located in Edinburgh?
Cheers :)

Hi
The flat would be £1750 per month including all utilities, linen and towels and based on just one bedroom being used, with the other three bedrooms to be closed off. You would have the rest of the flat to yourself.
Regards

Thank you for you reply, but I am afraid that is out of my budget.

Cheers :)

I've just been to Edinburgh and thought it was a really beautiful city. I've been thinking about moving to Scotland for a while. So now I just need to make up my mind about where to go eventually. For those living in Edinburgh, what do you like best about your city? And what did you find difficult/not so easy in the beginning?

I've only ever lived in Edinburgh during the Fringe but at that time at least its a great place to meet people. Just so many plays and gigs and the atmosphere's terrific. Perhaps the best way to meet people in the city is to do some amateur acting!

@ Allied Newspapersrsenal19, this thread is dated 2010, you may perhaps share your ideas by starting a new thread on the forum.;)

Harmonie.