How to make friends in Malmö

We have been talking about loneliness when you are abroad, let's now talk about how to make friends (locals or expatriates) when you're living in Malmö :top:

Which are your best tips to meet people and to make friends in Malmö??

Thanks in advance for your participation

hi to all...i wanna find good friends here in malmo... ^_^

i am coming to Malmo this coming January :D hope to know few ppl. before i move there :D

Welcome to Expat.com, Artem :)

Im planning to move to Malmö soon too:)

I am living 30 mins outside Malmo in Sjobo.  Are there any expats (English speaking) to meet?  Would love to chat!!

Hi Brendy,
You might wanna checkout the Malmo expat network.
Hope this helps you make some nice connections :)
Cheers
Arlette

Hello All,

I am happy to see that there are a few of us coming to Sweden (Malmo) this coming year 2011. I think we should definitely arrange something to meet once we are all there.

Cheers,

Jazmin

Its funny - the question of this thread are what are tips to finding friends, and all of the replies are Im looking for a friend!

I think it proves the fact it is damn hard no matter what.

I think its websites like these, and others which may lead you to people with similar interests and stories which could make the distance feel all that much smaller.

But thats just me :P

I TOO am looking for friends in the Malmö area! I am 23, a full time painter at the moment, would love to have a cup of coffee and a chat with another ex pat :)

Christina

Dear Christina,
is it really so damn hard no matter what? This is a little scary for me... I should be in Malmo for a one-year master's programme starting August 22.

Besides not having any friends there, I do not have a clue where I will stay, as I didn't find a room/studio yet. And information is so hard to find about this town. Every topic on the Malmo forum has just a very few posts, sometimes just one or 2.

Would this be a sign of what's to come for me where I'll be there? Will it be so hard to find friends to exchange ideas and talk for hours?

Well, let's be positive and hope everything will be ok. And to answer the actual original question, "how to make friends in Malmo", should it be one obvious answer? "Just like anywhere else" :) Right? Is there any reason it's more difficult to make friends in Malmo then anywhere else?

i think that if youre in a masters program then you may find lots of like minded people you could relate to and make friends with!
im just talking from personal experience - sometimes i find it hard making friends here because swedish people have their own set little group of friends and it can be very hard to break into that. there isnt much to any activity on this site, but malmö is a great city and im sure youll find alot of activities to immerse yourself into if you try.
in terms of housing - very scarce and can be hard to find for anyone. you have to know people and pull strings alot of the time! not easy for a foreigner! the best option i can give you for a room/studio is blocket.se for all of that
have you been on there looking for rooms before?

i doubt its different than anywhere else - ive just hit road blocks in that i work from home, havent mastered the language at all (will be beginning classes very soon) and the girls my age have been in the same area same town since birth and have kept all of their friends since childhood and dont really have room for extra :P
maybe youll have better luck meeting like minded people near and around you!!

This is a quote from the Malmo University site itself :) :
Social life in Sweden…
There is a saying that we are reserved and that we are difficult to get to know. We have to admit that this may be true (especially during the dark months). Student activities will hopefully give you the opportunity to make friends. Do not be afraid to seek contact with people and to take the initiative, it will be greatly appreciated. Most of us are very social, just a bit shy.

This is a strong argument that you are right. Also working from home has it's advantages and it's downsides, one downside is you dont get to meet a lot of people.
About renting: I was in Germany and Austria and it was a very straight forward procedure. But again, it is mentioned on the University site it is VERY difficult to get a place in Malmo.
Right now, I am even considering not coming to Malmo because of that (I do have the alternative to study in England).

To add to the list of bad news, another quote from the official site:) :
"A majority of the potential employers requires the capability to both write and read the swedish language. This makes it
next to impossible for non-swedish speaking students to acquire work during their period of study."

So yeah, I totally understand things are very very hard on more then one aspect...

hey guys, i am Soumya , new to malmö and looking forward to making good friends:-) cheers..!!

Brendy wrote:

I am living 30 mins outside Malmo in Sjobo.  Are there any expats (English speaking) to meet?  Would love to chat!!

I think I fit that category! Let me know if you are still here, I think I am a bit late to this thread!

Moving to malmo in jan2012 looking for families with kids ages 7 and 8. Any good advice on schools and places to stay? Regards Gen

I would like some friends please!  Preferably in their 20s!  Along with english, I also speak some french and spanish, and definitely would not mind practicing if you're more comfortable with those languages!  or if you'd like to take on the challenge of teaching me swedish, you'd get some laughs out of it! 

I'm new around here.  I've only been to Malmo once before (earlier this summer), and it doesn't even count, I didn't leave the train station! 

My name is Eeka, I'm 23, and from Canada.  A traveler, though I'll be here for the next few years.  And I'm really cool.  Ask anyone :)

Author: cherryl
hej !
I'm  a Swedish citizen woman of 33 years old who has moved from Paris to malmö 4 years ago and i'm working in Malmö but i'm still looking  to find some new friends to hang out with! I like all things as shoppping,  coffee, bars, clubs, fashion . I speak Swedish, French,English .
Anyone is interested ? Feel to contact me  ! Hope to talk And very soon.

Cherryl

Plantiebee wrote:

Its funny - the question of this thread are what are tips to finding friends, and all of the replies are Im looking for a friend!

I think it proves the fact it is damn hard no matter what.

I think its websites like these, and others which may lead you to people with similar interests and stories which could make the distance feel all that much smaller.

But thats just me :P

I TOO am looking for friends in the Malmö area! I am 23, a full time painter at the moment, would love to have a cup of coffee and a chat with another ex pat :)

Christina

Very true! My first impression is that people seem to be a little more introverted than elsewhere so I'm thinking it's gonna be harder to meet new friends.
We should all plan to meet up sometime say two weeks from now for dinner or something (i'm not sure where or what else there is to do yet haha). Or we can just meetup for a coffee next week?

I am happy to meet for coffee, I am relatively central and work on a freelance basis, so if someone sets a date which is good for them - I'll be there! (Although I have friends from the UK over)

Let's do this!

Adrian next weekend)

Hi , nice to hear from all of you . Let's meet up someday for coffee from next week it's 22 September it's ok for me anyone it's welcome !

We can meet up in the center at Fridays Bar it's very big and nice . I can organize the meeting. Pls contact so we choose the suitable date and time for all. Regards/ Cherryl

Hi!
I have seen this initiative, hope it is not too late...:(
Yes, I am the number...
:-)
keep in touch
Paolo

Hi , not too late we're waiting to be few people Before we take a drink . All are welcome just let me . Tanks Phoenix 2010 for your answer. Regards !

Just let me know i mean. Writing From My fone not easy :))

hi...i am new here in malmo and i feel too bored to stay at home...i am filipina and im looking pinay girls living in malmo...

Hi  me too moveing very soon to malmo (2 weeks max i will be there) would like also to have friends :))

any girl who likes to party,am here.

i like to know to )) soon i go to malmo amd i like to find some frend's in this city...

Im in malmo already and im looking for frienda too:)

hi can we be friends?im new here in malmö.nice to hear from you.thanks-nhanzee

Sure we can be friends:)

hi can we be friends im also filipina just arrived 2 months ago im living here in malmö.hope to hear from you soon.thanks-nhanzee

hi from where are u?

Hey i come from italy here and is just one month i am here.what are u doing here?

Hey guys. I think some of u need a friend so just let u guys know that we are goin to meet next Week in a town in Malmø Call lilla torg. But i dont know when we are goin to meet next Week. Actually the People i meet is People from Expat.com and we been meet often and some Will first time meet. They are from another country too who is want to make a friend like u guys and living in Malmø. So who Want to join This next Week please message me. Everyone Can CoMe and join.  We mostly meet One of the Place in town and when everyone is already there we Will go some of cafe in lilla torg for having a Coffee and share a story.  Hope hear from you guys.

Roy.

hi

[Moderated: No free ad on the forum. Post you advert in the Mystery shopping job offers in Malmö section.]

hey,
just moved one week ago to malmoe.
would like to meet new people who are active in their free time. i love to do horse back riding, badminton, inline  skating, biking, kayaking or any other funny outdoor sports. im very open minded and love to joke.
also meeting for a coffee would be a good start to meet new friends.
Hope you hear from you guys...

Hey!

I m on road trip to Copenhagen from tomorrow 3rd May morning from Oslo. I will be passing through Strømstad, Gøteborg and Malmø.

Iffffff, anyone want to have a cup of tea pr coffee with me and my family and have interest of sharing cultural knowledge and life experiences, then you should feel free to leave me a msg.

Regards,

M M Shah

Hi! I live in Malmö and looking for get to new friends here.
It's becoming green and sunny, so it would be nice to find some outdoor activities.
I like walking in Malmö's parks and in the nature. Used to go to swim when it's much warm.

Just write me few lines and we can find some cool things to do.
Regards!
Sam.