Motorcycle license

I am considering buying a new $1500.00 motorcycle when I arive in ecuador.Does anyone out there know cost and procedure for license of bike and myself? thank you for your time.:rolleyes:

I live in Quito and bought a motorcycle in December (cost $950). I am still trying to get a license plate. I have already paid for the plate (which cost $110) but am waiting to get the Comision de Transporte to inspect the bike and approve the plate. I have been there 5 times! Finally when they inspected it I was missing one mirror so I have to get that fixed before it passes. For the license, I have a US license with a motorcycle approval. I received the International Driver's License from AAA International that makes my US license valid in Ecuador. Good luck! And be careful! Driving a motorcycle in Ecuador is very different than in the US.  :)

:cool:Thank you for your reply,the bike i'm buying is new so it should pass inspection.Now all I need to find out about is driver license.  Thank you again and you have a wonderful day!

If you are on a tourist visa you won't need nor be able to get a license here. License numbers are linked to your cedula number. Your US license will be fine, actually a normal car license also passes with the police if you get stopped, and most likely you'll get stopped.
Well, if you don't know what to bring to "jefatura de transito" you may go there a 100 times as there is no clear information on what is needed. If you have all papers in order, it will take a day or 2 maximum. PM me when you get closer I'll guide you through the process.
Actually, I'm not sure if you can register a vehicle with a tourist visa... But you can go around with the original invoice for 30 days.
A word on a bike... For $1500 new, you are looking at 200cc chinese bike, which is barely adequate for the mountain region, for city riding - maybe. You'll be doing long uphill passes at 30km/h - exhausting for you and the bike. 500cc is the minimum acceptable, for my taste at least. Many visiting bikers favor Suzuki GS500, that costs here $6000 new or around $3000 used, and when you are done - sell it. I know people who went around South America on it - no problem.
Good luck.

Thank you mango for the input,I have owned a number of motorcycles,driven across the U.S. high elevation and low.know what thats like oxygen depervation to the carbs. and me!ha! ha! i'm considering living lower elevation than cuenca. Far as fast goes 140mph was cool when I was young, 30mph sounds good to me now, maybe i'll get to see the things I missed when I was young!

We (an American and a Frenchman) run a motorcycle rental business here in Quito - so with 15 motorycles to manage, we know all of the ins and outs of what you have to do to get your bike legal here.   [Moderated: No free advert on the site]

Thank you Ecuador Freedom, look forward to meeting you.

Ecuador Freedom - good folks, recommended!

EcuadorFreedom wrote:

We (an American and a Frenchman) run a motorcycle rental business here in Quito - so with 15 motorycles to manage, we know all of the ins and outs of what you have to do to get your bike legal here.   [Moderated: No free advert on the site]

Hey, you said you have a motorcycle store? I have a few questions for you if you dont mind. I am looking to move to equador within the next 6 months, would a 600 sport bike be suitable for equador roads? and if so how much am i looking at money wise in american? and do you sell these type of bikes?

EcuadorFreedom wrote:

I certainly understand the Forum not allowing advertizing, and I respect that. I'm a 50 plus year rider, and can not ever immagine being with out a bike. We will be visiting soon. Could you reply to me privatly at my email address with some ideas of costs? My thinking is I'd probably want something in the 500cc range and up? Don't know what you folks have avalable. Could you send me either a link for a website, or, a price list with availble bikes in your stable?
Thanks In Advance
Neil
[email protected]

Although my wife and I are a couple years away from doing anything, acguiring a motorcycle is very high on our list once we decide just what we are going to do.  Our next step is to take a couple of trips to Ecuador and get a feel for lifestyle and climate there.

Here is the trick, by from a dealer that will pull the plate for you!, Doing it on your own takes an act of god and about 6 months.
If your comming to cuenca I can introduce you to a dealer. I bought a chinese 250 dirt bike a year ago, its been flawless. Ride it every day.  The moto licence is straight forware in cuenca, but every town is a little different. In cuenca you just need to take the state test, which you can obtain ahead of time for a $1. outside the local dmv. A car licence is another story for another time.

good luck

t

I bought a 200cc Chinese Tundra from Espana close to the city center in Cuenca. I weigh about 345 and am 6'4". I paid $1500 and they did all the running to get the insurance and registration. The bike is adequate for city driving and I have been to the top of the Cajas three times. Not burning up the highway, but it got me there. Goes real fast downhill!
I am pleased with my purchase for the money. I could not see paying 8K for a Royal Enfield that will not be my main transport. As was mentioned earlier, the driving here is very, very dangerous. I have had many close encounters within the two months I have ridden my bike here. If your head is not on a constant swivel, you will be on the ground. I never look at sights other than the people here that are trying to kill me. They have much less respect for Motorcycles here than in the US. So make sure you have good health insurance before venturing out. Outside of the city a motorcycle is fantastic. I have been stopped about 6 times for insurance checks on the outskirts of the city. I show them my Texas drivers license, insurance, and copy of my passport. They have never given me a problem. I even had one look at my Texas license and say, Texas, Home of John Wayne! Handed me back my stuff and said, Be careful Big Texan! Gotta make you smile when you hear something like that.

hi very body and especially tmac1949. :)
i'm in cuenca for the next couple days and i'm looking for a motorbike (used or new) to travel with. i'm very pleased for any recommendation and help for finding a good motorbike dealer how may also help me with all the papers and license for the bike.

thanks in advance for the information.

best regards
m

I am looking to buy, license and insure a motorcycle in Cuenca, Ecuador, probably a new one so as not to have issues with repairs. Can anyone tell me where and how to go about getting a dependable bike from a dealer that will get the bike licensed for me?  I have almost always driven a Honda, right from the smallest to a Goldwing which I had to sell before coming to Ecuador because of its age.  I had a 750 Shadow that was wonderful too.  I see most bikes here are in the 125 cc to 200 cc range which is adequate for city driving.

Thanks in advance for your help.

This is what I know, as I just finished the process. You can get a copy of you driving record from the US, have it translated to Spanish, have it notarized here, and get a blood test card from the Red Cross. Then take the skills test, and the written test. After that, you can get your MC license. A little different for a car license. I did the above, but went to Paute, a small town outside of Cuenca, as you do not have to go through the 3 week driving course. Coral has a new Deluxe 200cc bike, like a baby Harley, for about $1300 brand new. I have the 2010 model. Top speed about 100km. But anything over a 200 in a street bike jumps in price tremendously. And if it isn't Chinese, you are looking at 10k for a 500cc bike, other than a single thumper Royal Enfield.

Thanks for your timely and quick advice. It is very much appreciated. I have ordered my driving record from Canada as a start of the process. 

I have a few more questions:

Where exactly do you go in Cuenca to get the needed blood test?

What is involved in the skills and written test? D

Do you have to get your license before buying a bike?

My Spanish is extremely limited. 

I like the idea of going to Paute.  I also saw the bike in Coral which is more than adequate, even if it isn't a Honda.

I would avoid riding in Quito. In 9 months I've seen 3 motorcycles get wiped out. All three accidents were caused by things outside the rider's control. One was a motorcycle cop who got creamed by a car turnig right from the left lane. One got cut off on wet pavement and had no way to stop in time. One crashed when a half deflated ball got kicked into the street directly in front of his front tire. The last one was nearly a fatal crash, but my taxi driver had amazing reflexes, and dodged around the prone rider's head faster than I could blink.

Blood test, do a google search, I foget what road it is on.
Skills test, hearing, vision, and a couple of kindegarden things to do. No worry. Written test, you have over 200 study questions, multiple choice, all in Spanish. I studied the test, put it into a word format so I could pull up the questions and the translator on the same page on my computer. Memorize key words in Spanish. Almost all of the 20 questions are fairly easy. They also allowed me a translator in Paute. Very nice group there. Just get there early at 830am.
Don't have to have a license before buying, just passport. The SOAT must be put in someone elses name if you don't have a Cedula. It covers the bike only.

I took the skills test in Cuenca. Its half a block from Hyuana Capac, east, again don't remember exact road.

I have been stopped over 10 times on license and matricula checks. Never had a problem with my Texas license. But I was advised that after 6 months if you have an accident you could be in trouble if you don't have your EC license. Process was a pain, but what aint?

I agree. Riding a motorcycle here is not an easy chore. You had better have your head on a swivel. I expect them to do the dumbest thing possible, and I have never been disappointed. I do my best to ride the outskirts of town, and ride during the less busy times of the day. Motorcycles here are not respected in the least. It is rare when I have a nice leisurely ride. Most of the time I am cussing those that are sliding into my lane, on my ass, and just general normal habits here. Its the same driving worries I have in my car. Except I have a little more protection.

Thanks again for the great advice.  It is much appreciated.

Speaking of motorcycles... I found some very cheap motorized bicycles on OLX. I don't think they're street legal, but they're only $150. I'm thinking of buying a couple for rentals on the beach. They look like they'd be great for small communities where the police aren't really a problem.

Thanks for all you help.  I saw the 200 cc bike in Coral and it does look good.  Do you know if Coral will licence it or is there some other agency I would have to go through?  Does it come with enough gas to get it home? Thanks again.

On another forum there was a guy asking about bringing in a motorcycle to use because he was disabled and a motorcycle was what he needed. He was scoffed at because someone thought it was just BS.

In my case I have peripheral neuropathy, which is extreme pain in my feet and I can't walk. I am officially disabled here in Canada. I will never be able to afford a car in Ecuador and I do want to use a motorcycle to get around instead of trying to climb on buses or walk any distance. I can buy my preferred model, a used Honda 185, here in Canada for under a thousand dollars. Looks like the same type of bike in Ecuador costs a fortune. Does anyone know where I can get valid information on whether I am allowed to bring a motorcycle into Ecuador as a disabled person?

Thank you!

ChecMark wrote:

On another forum there was a guy asking about bringing in a motorcycle to use because he was disabled and a motorcycle was what he needed. He was scoffed at because someone thought it was just BS.

In my case I have peripheral neuropathy, which is extreme pain in my feet and I can't walk. I am officially disabled here in Canada. I will never be able to afford a car in Ecuador and I do want to use a motorcycle to get around instead of trying to climb on buses or walk any distance. I can buy my preferred model, a used Honda 185, here in Canada for under a thousand dollars. Looks like the same type of bike in Ecuador costs a fortune. Does anyone know where I can get valid information on whether I am allowed to bring a motorcycle into Ecuador as a disabled person?

Thank you!

I think you'll find it easier and cheaper to just buy it here. Between the shipping cost and import taxes it's better just to buy it here even at Ecuador's inflated vehicle prices. Also, I don't think you'd get permission to import any older bike.

I heard from one of my Ecuadorian friends that small engine bikes and scooters don't require a motorcycle license. He told me, "under 150 cc requires no special license."  Does anyone know if this is true or not?

Just wanted to clarify that I am not just looking at shipping the motorcycle. I am working on shipping a small container of things and the bike would fit in at no extra cost.

I do track days in the US.  ?are there any tracks or racing/track days organizations in Ecuador?  Thx...Paul

Hello,  thanks for the useful info.
How long is the US license (car and motorcycle license) good for in Ecuador?  I understand that you can only use it for so long.   Oh I can't wait.  The challenge I have, besides being a senior citizen (65) is that  am a short guy of 5 ft.51/2 in when stretched out.  I drive Honda Shadow and Kawasaki Vulcan (sold it recently).  Maybe I can find a low rider but CC of about 500 or so.  We are planning to be in Cuenca around Mid January,  2015, then do some coastal touring.  Any helpful comments you may have would appreciate since we have only visited Ecuador once only for a week last summer.  Thanks, Ken    Columbus, Indiana  USA  My pm in case,   [email protected]

About a year ago I bought a Fatty 150 here in Cuenca.  They did all the work in getting it inspected.  I had to get the SOAT.  I went to the ANT office at the bus terminal and got my license plate - think it took two months.  They give you a paper that states that you have a plate but not available.

Getting a motorcycle license is easy.  Get your blood test at the red cross, take the vision/motor test and take the papaer they give you at ANT and pay at the bank.  With that info I returned to ANT took the test and got the license. 

If you are living here (have a cedula) I would get the license...it's dirt easy and will relieve you of any awkward questions withe Transit Police.

Driving in the city is ok with the 150, but divers here show little respect for cycles and scooters.  I do not ride on Av de las Americas nor at night.  Sundays are great days to ride...

Mike

quito0819 wrote:

About a year ago I bought a Fatty 150 here in Cuenca....

Getting a motorcycle license is easy.  Get your blood test at the red cross, take the vision/motor test and take the paper they give you at ANT and pay at the bank.  With that info I returned to ANT took the test and got the license.

When you say you "took the test" so you could drive the Fatty, Mike, was that a written test...

Did you have to take Spanish-language driving classes and a driving test...and if not, how did you get around such a requirement...

cccmedia in Quito

cccmedia wrote:
quito0819 wrote:

About a year ago I bought a Fatty 150 here in Cuenca....

Getting a motorcycle license is easy.  Get your blood test at the red cross, take the vision/motor test and take the paper they give you at ANT and pay at the bank.  With that info I returned to ANT took the test and got the license.

When you say you "took the test" so you could drive the Fatty, Mike, was that a written test...

Did you have to take Spanish-language driving classes and a driving test...and if not, how did you get around such a requirement...

cccmedia in Quito

Here in Cuenca it was only a written test,  No course was obligatory here in Cuenca.  I understand it is obligatory in Quito.  No idea about Guayaquil.  The test was in Spanish.  It is the same test for a vehicle driving license. HTH

Mike

hi i am from australia and live in chiangmai thailan,is it better to buy a scooter in quito or ship mine
thanks
leanne

missymoo58 wrote:

hi i am from australia and live in chiangmai thailan,is it better to buy a scooter in quito or ship mine
thanks
leanne

Buy it here.  There is a Chinese brand I have (Moto 1) that can be bought in both Quito and Cuenca.  (Probably Guayaquil and other places)  It is a 150cc and is great to get around town.  Parts and service are available.  There are other brands - one sold by El Juri, that are cheaper, but I am not sure of service or parts.  The cost for the Fatty 150 (popular inspite of the name) is ± $1900 USD

Brand name are also available, some with 300c motors, but are much more expensive.

Here in Cuenca these scooters are very popular, and many females ride them.  There is even a club here, Herederos del Pasado, that rides every Thursday night.  They are on Facebook. 

Do bring your helmet and riding gloves  Helmets are expensive here and good gloves are hard to find.

Thank you fir your reply
Leanne

quito0819 wrote:

Here in Cuenca these scooters are very popular, and many females ride them.  There is even a club here, Herederos del Pasado, that rides every Thursday night.

A/k/a:  Inheritors of the Past.

Originally the group was for Vespa owners, but is now open to anyone with a scooter.  Vespas can be pricey...

Good Afternoon I have recently moved to Guayaquil.  I am thinking to buy a motorcycle, need guidance.  And also what do yo have available?  Have a website?

Im wondering if anyone has updated info on this topic which is mainly from 4 years ago.

@EcuadorFreedom

How much is a rental for a month??

I'm alone and weigh 140 lbs.