What is going down - updates here please

he says they will fight to the end

I now hear gun fire again near Azizia barracks

It's all a Foreign-Islamist-Egyptian-Separatist-Tunisian-European-American conspiracy

apparently his speech was recorded earlier

tomorow will be crucial, my advice is to stay indoors and be safe, I am off to check the streets

mariac19 wrote:

can anyone please update me on the situation in Tripoli, PLEASE?

right now i hear heavy gunshots. anyone know more?

Green Square belongs completely to the people now

gunfire sporadic fighting, some pockets of resistance

Libyan TV stopped transmitting, all staff left the building

civilian vehicles shooting in jamhouria street

God help us now, afraid of what is coming

الكباب الكباب! لنخلي عيشتكو هباب !!!   

I couldn't help it

MoEl wrote:

الكباب الكباب! لنخلي عيشتكو هباب !!!   

I couldn't help it

meaning?

fatmakumru wrote:

meaning?

Humor is a strong weapon.

youtube.com/watch?v=roG4glrV5kw

A friend was involved in the production of this BTW

Mr Khadaffi left on his airplane to his friend Hugo Chavez in Venesuela. Can anyone confirm?

Shipwrecked wrote:

Mr Khadaffi left on his airplane to his friend Hugo Chavez in Venesuela. Can anyone confirm?

Romours so far no confirmation

friends in green square (Tahrir square now) in full contol of the people.

4 vehicles in Mansura/jamhouria st are firing on people

Stay indoors folk, not safe to venture out

Mudman wrote:

Mrs Mudman was out in Janzour tonight, roads blocked by locals, she can't get home.
Mobile network down?

Did mrs Mudman make it safe home?

Last night, I woke up to gunfire/fireworks (can't differentiate), and mob chanting. We live between Fernas and Souk Jumaah. Good thing roads into our residential area were blocked off by neighbours' cars.

Heard today that the airport is closed.

Haven't been evacuated as L Boss is so damn optimistic or is more worried about his project, if we all leave.

Hallo,

ben je op dit moment nog steeds in Libië?

We zoeken Nederlanders aldaar om hun verhaal (telefonisch) te doen.

Misschien kun je even bellen?

perry feenstra, RTL Nieuws
+31 35 6718947

Hello,

For RTL News, Dutch Television, we are looking for dutch-speaking persons in Libya to do their story by phone/skype etc.

perry feenstra, RTL Nieuws
+31 35 6718947

Hi perry313,

Please post in English whilst on the English forum of Expat.com.

Thanking you kindly.

Peeps, I think my Al Madar phone line stopped working.. my colleague's too. hmm....

Because I'm new on this forum I'm no longer allowed to post private message. To Shipwrecked: please mail me on my private adress: [email protected]

U.S. Embassy Tripoli Warden Message - Advice to Depart Libya and
Minimize Movements
February 21, 2011
This Warden Message is to advise U.S. citizens of the deteriorating security situation throughout Libya, including Tripoli.  There is a strong possibility of further violence and looting.  There are continuing protests and violence ongoing in Libya, including Tripoli.
U.S. citizens are urged to depart Libya as soon as possible.  The
Department of State has authorized the voluntary departure from Libya of the family members of U.S. Embassy staff.  U.S. citizens are urged to exercise extreme caution when traveling, avoid non-essential travel, minimize overall travel in-country, and to limit all travel after dark.
U.S. citizens not departing Libya should make preparations to shelter in place.

keep posting guys, and more than everything else, stay safe

Portugal's government are sending a military plane to Tripoli, evacuating EU citizens and a plane on stabndy for Benghazi according to BBC news

Libyan families are out in force today stocking up on food and preparing for the unknown.
what nobody can deny is that a massacre has taken place in the east of libya over the past few days. My great fear is that the same will happen in tripoli.
Libyans are truly disappointed that the world leaders are not doing more to stop this regime from using brutal force to quell this just uprising.

i personally know 1 of 2 young people who got shot poing blankt last night in green square, more precisely in Emgarief street. others shot in Fashloum and BenAshur.
I would like to offer my condolances to all the brave young men who stood up to this ruthless regime and paid dearly for this most basic of human rights.

Is all telephone service out in Libya?

A charter from our company to evacuate us didn't get landing permission form the authorities. So we're still stuck here.

ExpatLibyan wrote:

Libyans are truly disappointed that the world leaders are not doing more to stop this regime from using brutal force to quell this just uprising.

There has been widespread condemnation of the oppression meeted out by the Libyan government against it's own people by the EU, the USA and many more countries.

It is simply not acceptable for one nation to be seen demanding that the leader of another nation step down from power, that's the way it works in diplomatic circles.

I would imagine, that when the time comes for the Gaddafi mafioso to take to their heels, that their options will be very limited indeed.

Reports that A site I was meant to be working at has been attacked by armed protesters near Ras Lanuf. Thankfully no reports of anybody killed.

Project on hold indefinitely!!

Sandman - have you heard of any relief efforts being made in the UAE (I'm in Dubai).  Medical People are appealing for medical supplies and medical personnel.

Im sorry, but i have my suspicions about ExpatLibyan, i think he is just trying to stir the pot, i have many friends over in Libya, especially tripoli, who i am unable to get in contact with because of the black out, internet and phone, but yet he is able to post? and non sensical information, which several times has been disregarded on these forums as false?

Please explain, or if you can't be quiet, because i am sick of hearing 'here-say' especially from BBC Al-Jazeera, who clearly dont have a f*$^&*% clue what is going on, and people making false remarks on this forum, are not helping.

I am due to return to Libya soon, and there is so many convoluted reports. It is starting to frustrate me sorry just venting guys, I like Libya lol.

mzsmartypants wrote:

Sandman - have you heard of any relief efforts being made in the UAE (I'm in Dubai).  Medical People are appealing for medical supplies and medical personnel.

No, nothing at all. All of the Middle East dictatorships not affected by the "Arab Flu" seem to be keeping a very low profile.

rensei wrote:

i have many friends over in Libya, especially tripoli, who i am unable to get in contact with because of the black out, internet and phone, but yet he is able to post?

Many of the larger western companies have their own VSAT based communications systems which are unaffected by the regime's black-out of LTT etc. Perhaps he has access to one of these?

And again smoke and heavy automatic gunshots over Tripoli.