How to make friends in Madrid

We have been talking about loneliness when you are abroad, let's now talk about how to make friends (locals or expatriates) when you're living in Madrid :top:

Which are your best tips to meet people and to make friends in Madrid??

Thanks in advance for your participation

There are a number of "Meetup" or "Intercambios" in Madrid which provides an environment to meet people from other cultures. Both usually take place on scheduled nights in bars, oftentimes in Irish Pubs.

"Meetups" are just that, they bring people together and the rest is up to them.

"Intercambios" are billed as Language Exchanges but from the few I've attended there wasn't much exchange going on, eventually people pair-up with people of their own country or speak only one language among the group - usually English. The Spaniards attending these really seem to want to practice their English and so, almost by default, we English-speakers don't tend to try speaking Spanish.

But as I always say, if you can make just one good friend in Spain that'll open the door to all of their friends as well.

Generally speaking, I tend NOT to try to make friends with those of my same culture or even language but sometimes friendships spawn more easily with people of like languages or backgrounds.

If you can get yourself invited to just ONE party organized by Spaniards you're likely IN - even if you don't speak Spanish well. They're very interested in practicing their Spanish, as mentioned earlier, and find different cultures very interesting.

We can't be afraid to make the first move. Spaniards are very social so an invitation to get together for a drink is NOT immediately construed as being a date-offer. This goes both ways. Just because a cute Spanish girl asks an American man (in one example) DOES NOT mean she's interested in you romantically - although, who knows, it may evolve to that later.

Apart from the schedule bar gatherings, there are also a few other social gatherings which take place around Madrid from time to time. You just have to know where to look. Some social groups gather for lunches, dinners, and movies. I, personally, organize such things from time to time and have made some of my best friends here in Madrid in this manner. And those people attending often make new friends as well with others.

Saludos, MadridMan
http://www.MadridMan.com
https://www.expat.com/img/flags/usa.gifhttps://www.expat.com/img/flags/arrow.gifhttps://www.expat.com/img/flags/spain.gif

If you're coming to Spain for the first time and know no one at all, then one of the best ways to meet people is to sign up for a week of English conversation at either PuebloInglés.com or VaughanTown. This is not a recommendation for either company, but will give you a minimum of fifteen Spanish people for you to get to know and have them explain their country in your language, (assuming it's English.) Whether you contimue with any of the friendships made after the week is up to you. I did, and it smoothed my passage towards living in Spain fantastically. Four years later I still count the people I met there as some of my best friends in the country. (You can check the two organisations I mentioned via google.)
Further to what MadridMan said above, I actually run one of those meet-ups. In my case it's called the English Speaking Group, Madrid, and we meet in varying numbers every Friday in a bar near Quevedo Metro, at the top end of Calle Fuencarral. Both English speakers and anyone who is learning English are welcome. You will meet new people everyweek. And you can Google that too.

Richard
http://aviewofmadrid.blogspot.com/

Hi,

Just arrived! Do you by any chance of any of this sort of Meetups or Intercambios? I speak English, Russian and Spanish (lived in Chile for 3 years). I am very curious about Spain, Madrid and about people here! Thanks for your articles!

There are all kinds of Intercambios and Meetups in Madrid.

On Tuesday nights at 10pm there's an "Intercambio de Idiomas" at O'Neil's Irish Pub near Puerta del Sol.

On Wednesday nights at 10pm there's another social "intercambio" in Bar Madrid near Opera.

On Thursday nights at 10pm there's another "Intercambio de Idiomas" in The Beer Station on the Plaza de Santo Domingo.

On Wednesdays & Thursday at 8pm there's an "Intercambio de Idiomas" at J&J Books and Coffee on the Calle Espiritu Santo.

There are probably a number of other "Intercambios" and social gatherings I'm missing. But at these events you can more easily make friends - if you can actually hear the person with whom you're talking because of the bar noise, that is.

Saludos, MadridMan
http://www.MadridMan.com

I've recently moved to Madrid and I'm hoping to meet new people and have alot of fun.  I'm here on business so unfortunately don't know anyone outside of work.

chriuk1888, et.al., every Tuesday night at 10pm there's an "Intercambio" (cultural exchange) at O'Neills Irish pub on Calle Príncipe (near Puerta del Sol). On Thursdays at 10pm there's another gathering at "The Beer Station" on the Plaza de Santo Domingo.

As I often tell people, you only need to make ONE friend in Madrid (hopefully they're a Spaniard) and you'll thereby meet everyone THEY know - and then you're set!

Saludos, MadridMan @ http://MadridMan.com!

Sounds interesting. I will be moving to Madrid for work reasons in December and don't yet know anyone so It would be great to attend if possible.

[moderated: off topic]

Thank you for the website
I will check it out and I will tell you guys how it goes afterwards.
Happy new year to all of you
Bye

the center of the city its very interesting and nice to make friends

If what you're looking for is to meet Spaniards and practice Spanish while learning about real Spanish culture, in addition to the other good advice mentioned, I would suggest that you look to sign up for local courses (perhaps a cooking class, a jewelry-making course, an exercise or yoga class or a dance class), a local hiking group (senderismo... when it gets a bit warmer and the snow thaws in the mountains) or even volunteering at a local non-profit  organization.

For hiking and cultural excursions, (I've never used them) try:
arawakviajes.com/home/home.htm  - but if you do a google search, you will likely be able to find individually organized groups of random people who just want to hang out together. Another one is: clubatuaire.com/

For cooking classes, you can try: alambique.com but there are tons throughout the city.

There are tons of dance classes too throughout the city, depends on how serious you want the classes to be... and what kind of dancing.

I have lots of information on links for these things so feel free to contact me for more information.

Good luck!

Allison - Hello Madrid, Hola New York - Blog
deexpatriating.wordpress.com

Hey ,
Im a pilot from India ,21 Yrs old.. in Madrid to do some training for a couple of months. Hit me up if any1 is  looking for company for a drink . Im here till early November .
would really appreciate it .

Hi, I would like to know about the "meet ups". Is it charged?
I've been living in Madrid for about 7 months now and still cannot really speak Spanish. Maybe because I'm not socialized enough and I don't have any friends here.

Please kindly let me know how to attend the meet ups, I would love to come and get socialized. Btw, I'm Indonesian.

Thanks!

Hi,

I suggest going hiking with a local club. I have often gone with (Moderated: No Free advertising with your first post, Please, Thanks)

It is a great way to meet people and you get plenty of time to talk and you see the surounding villages.

The best way to really get to know local Spanish people is to go on a "puente" 3 to 5-day hiking trips.

Happy trails,
The United Statesian

HI! I would like to know if there is any kind of meeting in Toledo city like those you talk about

Thanks to everyone for the information, it is very useful and it is good to see there are others in my situation. In England I never had to make friends as it happened naturally through school, work and meeting friends of friends. But for the first time I have to try to make friends. I must admit I am a little shy when first meeting people, but then warm to other and open up really quickly and dont stop chatting. So have to get over this initial shyness. If there is anyone else in my situation that would like to meet with me first and then go to these events together so it is not so daunting, then let me know. I would rather walk into a packed bar with someone than on my own :D

Thanks again and good luck in making buddies

Hello i am Menila and living in Madrid for learn spanish language in some school at Madrid.

I've been living in Madrid about 4 weeks and cannot speak any Spanish. it would be great to meet new friends in Madrid.btw I come from Bangkok,Thailand

Thank you

Hello everyone. I was wondering if anyone can update on the meetings or intercambios dates and times. I am a 44 year old mother who recently moved to Madrid and would really like to make some friends. Also are this meetings for a young crowd or do people of all ages meet and have a chance to socialize.

Yup, the days/times/places remain as I mentioned above:

Tuesday night at 10pm there's an "Intercambio" (cultural exchange) at O'Neills Irish pub on Calle Príncipe (near Puerta del Sol). On Thursdays at 10pm there's another gathering at "The Beer Station" on the Plaza de Santo Domingo.

Most are young people, yes, in their 20s to mid-30s, I'd say, but a few older people (though young at heart) do attend. I'd say it's pretty rare finding people in their 50s at these things.

Saludos, MadridMan @ http://MadridMan.com!

Hi everyone!
Moved to Madrid 2 months ago and I am looking for friends.
I speak both English and Spanish.

for Jane and Susan... there are non profit women's clubs, ie American Women's Club, International Newcomers Club.
The American Women's Club is open to all English speaking women, all nationalities, but lots of Spanish speaking goes on as well.

Try your local libraries for book reading groups. Local cultural centers for dance, handicrafts. Thre are also many moms and tots groups for women with young children. That is how I met most of my friends here.

Patri

(moderated: no free ads please).

I`m José-Luis, I`m 28 year, I was born in Colombia but now im living in Madrid. I want meet new friends (young people) and practice my English. If you want know me, please write me to [email protected]

(moderated: no free ads)

Hello to everyone, im already 1 week in Madrid, but so bored, no friends, nothing to do alone! Let's meet? :)

Hey jane!  as i see u are like me, looking for a friends? wanna have one? :)

Hi Margarita!
I've also just moved to Spain- I'm living just outside of Madrid in Avila, but I love Madrid and want to spend more time there and would really like to make some friends!
I'm 27, female and from England. I'm thinking about coming to Madrid next weekend- would you like to meet up for a coffee/lunch or something???
Karys

Heyy, Karys, yes i would love to meet you.. here's my email [email protected], write me, when u will be planning to come in madrid, bc im not sure when i can go somewhere, i have big problems with money, lost my cc so now waiting for new one.

Hi Jane,
I've just moved to Spain- I'm living just outside of Madrid in Avila, but I love Madrid and want to spend more time there and would really like to make some friends!
I'm 27, female and from England. I'm thinking about coming to Madrid next weekend- would you like to meet up for a coffee/lunch??
Karys

Hi Madrid man

Do you know if there is anything going on this weekend? I am looking to get to know English people to share time in Madrid. I lived in the UK for 14 years and I now live in Madrid. I obviously speak English and Spanish, but would love to have some Englishness around me.

Are you around? Anyone interested?

Thanks

Hi Madrid man

Do you know if there is anything going on this weekend? I am looking to get to know English people to share time in Madrid. I lived in the UK for 14 years and I now live in Madrid. I obviously speak English and Spanish, but would love to have some Englishness around me.

Are you around? Anyone interested?

Thanks

Hi!,

Im english, just moved to Madrid and I'm looking for some people to meet with. You know..take a coffee or one beer.

Let me know!

Regards,

Mitch

I'm not english, but i do speak english :) also would like to meet someone who speaks english, not just and only spanish...

Ok, perfect.

Well I am located in Lavapies but can pretty much meet up anywhere. If you want to meet up then please contact me on 667819266. Be nice to meet you!

Just abit of background information. My names Mitch and Im 22. I work in Paseo de Habana in Financial Services. I also run my own language and recruitment business.

Regards!
Mitch

anyone frm the North of Spain who can speak english lol sorry sounds rude...  just to hang out with and drink with... im getting bored sometimes... or suggestions to where to go that some speak english... thanks

I

Hey there!

Im 23 and also looking to meet new people here in Madrid. I've been living here for almost a year now, but havent made too many of my own friends. I meet up now and then with my (spanish) boyfriends friends but it would be nice to make some of my own:)

I live in Madrid, so if you want to hang out some time let me know :)

Hi guys,

Just moved to Madrid from London for work. Looking for people to meet up and have a few drinks or a coffee. PM me!

Regards,

Mitch

Just wondering if there is any Intercambios scheduled during the weekends (like Friday or Saturday nights)?

Guys i am 19 working as an au pair in loranca, Madrid and i want to meet people who speak fluent english to hang out with i have only been here 6 days and i am staying for three months. Looking to meet english speaker preferably near loranca, fuenlabrada, madrid. I have no spanish and there are no english speakers near me so don't hesitate to write to me if your interested thanks :)