How to make friends in New Zealand

We have been talking about loneliness when you are abroad, let's now talk about how to make friends (locals and other expats) when you're living in New Zealand :top:

Which are your best tips to meet people and to make friends in New Zealand??

Thanks in advance for your participation

I'm definitely finding that Im more reserved than the Kiwis, (maybe a Canadian thing lol) so I find the best way to meet people is to not shy away when complete strangers start chatting with you on buses or in bars (or on the beach!).

Everything seems to be done by word of mouth here (parties, jobs, flats), so developing a social circle (even a small one) is really important.

Hi - I have just moved to the wellington area from the UK with my husband and two young daughters. I am finding it a bit isolating being at home with the kids so would welcome anyones suggestions on how to meet people.
Thanks

G'day there, I like this topic. I am from Christchurch
I have lived in NZ all my life except one year in Canada, and yes it is like "how do you meet people" different to when you are at skool. I had a lonely time in Canada so on returned I put adverts on gumtree to meet people and have made some awesome friends, and yes people do tell me it is hard to make friends in Christchurch.
Have a great weekend, keep warm!:lol:

DIR SIR, iam working for job as eletric,a/c repair, maintanc of any eleritc intrument. if can offer me job, any leaving visa thanks to you

Dir sir make fit for my job and good wish ,

Hi prasad purao! You are :offtopic: , could you please start a new discussion on the New Zealand forum:
https://www.expat.com/forum/viewforum.php?id=498

Thanks
Christine

i will like to join you but am living far away nigeria,one day i will see you in new zealand.Have a nice weekend.

Hi wanna be your friend

I live in jordan i look for a friend to keep  in touch i prefer some one in dunedin your help is appreciated

Welcome to join aour lonely in new zealand

Wooow,
Its so amazing, am now having couple of weeks in Kerikeri, New Zealand and still no friends, possibly because I have no time to meet woth kiwis, but still any one from Kerikeri who will need my Company! Am from Tanzania, east Africa! Segunda Lesilwa (M)

You could try joining a club,  there are tramping, hiking, golf clubs etc even if you just visit your local taverns and speak to some of the locals, you may find something that suits you.  There is also volunteer organisations or ask your kids teacher if there are any school events that need parent helpers? Hope some of these suggestions help.

Kerikeri is not a very big community.  Might have to put yourself out there a bit or venture out of Kerikeri.

Not sure if you are an Admin but some of these posts look very spammy and should be removed as it deter's other from bothering to read, if they have to scroll through all the crappy posts first.

@Segunda Hi am Joy from Kenya and i understand the bit about loneliness. I am living and working in south Canterbury and though i have met a few kenyans they are all busy. I have made friends with some people from work but you have to be careful with those kinds of friendships. So here I am very very bored

Hello Joy,

Welcome on board !

Please note that you are participating on an old thread and that Segunda has been inactive for years now.

Maybe you could do an activity ... painting, join the gym, go for walks, yoga ?

Regards

Bhavna

@Bhavna

Hi,

Thank you, i hadn't realised that it was an old post.